Aqualink PDA system, Pentair variable speed pool pump and Laminars.

robl45

I've asked before  on another forum and never figured it out so figured I would try again on here. I have an Aqualink PDA system with a Pentair Variable speed pool pump and Pentair Laminars,  2 of them.  The problem I have is I turn on my laminars and they work great.  For about 30 minutes or so.  Then they start to get lower and lower.  They also start to sputter so I'm guessing they don't get enough flow.  One seems to be worse than the other although both aren't great, but one ends up with a little sputtering but is still basically working while the other ends up a pathetic mess that doesn't resemble a laminar stream.  The thing is, if I turn the pump off and back on, they perform great again for about one minute while its in prime and then they also work but they are much lower because it drops out of prime.  Weird if its a flow issue.  If I turn off the laminars and turn off the pump and then turn it back on again and then turn on the laminars, they work great for whatever amount of time before going to crap again.  I'm at a loss with this.   Its a Pentair 3hp VS pump BTW.  It is set for basically top RPM when the laminars run and when blower is activated for the spa.  Never notice an issue with the spa bubbles dropping out, but the blower does turn off after 30 minutes.  Anyone have any ideas.  its really starting to make me insane as I was about to start pulling apart the laminars to figure out what is wrong, but I realize they are only spitting when the flow starts to drop.

I also need to figure out how to angle these pentair laminars if anyone has any suggestions,  As it is now, I can set them however I want, but once I drop them down in the hole, they basically just move to whatever position they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Go stand over by the pump while there running "good".  Wait until they start to sputter and see if you can hear the pump slow down. Actually you would hear it slow down, then they would begin to sputter. You touched on something in the middle of your post, the prime feature.  If this pump is "controlled" by the PDA, I mean has control of the pump as opposed to simply turning it on and off, then you may have the prime function selected with that aux. It's been a while since I've played around with a PDA.  So not sure if it has that function. Also, Check the run speed you have set for the jets and for the laminar's.  Set them both to the current speed of the jets and see if that helps.  If you have the PDA just turning the pump on and off, the pump is set up in Manual mode, and you should be able to set speeds at the pump.  You can also toggle the prime feature on and off at the pump (through the menu).  Or you could see on the display if the RPM drops, and also if you are in prime mode.

Hope this helps.

There is no "standard valve position" for water features.  They are supposed to be set to what you like.  Tweak the valves to make the laminars equal, but again, that's a personal preference.  Same thing with the pump speed. set it to make the laminars throw as far or as short of distance as you like.

Yes, but don't the laminars need a certain amount of flow or whatever?  Currently I have them at like 2700 rpm down from 3450rpm but I'm wondering if they need to be set higher for flow.  I also want to get in to try to clean the laminars but I'm waiting for my pest control guy to spray some stuff around the laminars as the holes are infested with roaches.