Circulation Pump not Running

Matt M

Hot tub continuous circulation pump is not running and causing dr, dy (flow related error codes). When I manually start the two jets the codes go away and don't come back until the jets are off and water movement through the heater has slowed/stopped. The circulation pump should be turning to keep the water moving but I don't see it turning at all. I just replaced the circulation pump because the original one was 5 years old and not turning, but now the new one is not turning either. So what could be keeping the circulation pump from running?

Depending on the circulation pump model, it's not uncommon for them to fail quickly. The Liang pumps are magnetic and can be prone to early failure.

It could also simply be air bound. Start by cracking the union on the pump output to make sure it's been blead of air.

Have you checked fuses? Do you have a multi meter and know how to use it? If yes disconnect the circ pump from the spa pack circuit board and test for power coming off the board. If you have power coming off the board then the issue is with the circ pump. If you don't then bad fuse, Burnt relay....or

Has the new circ pump run at all since you installed it?

Can you see the shaft spinning? if it is spinning then possible air lock if it is not spinning then you have other issues as listed above. Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cove as well as the white tag on the circ pump. Is the circ 120V or 240V and did you match it up when you ordered it?

• Like 1

CanadianSpaTech - really appreciate the help! 

I disconnected the circulation pump wire (4-prong adapter) from the circuit board at position J47 and measured the voltages - see pictures below. The wiring has it setup with the black wire going into position 1, tan wire going into position 3, and green wire going into position 4.  Here were the voltage read-outs:

Black to Tan - 0 V

Black to Green - 120 V

Tan to Green - 120 V

So definitely power coming off the board.  Does the two 120V readings add up to feed the 230V pump? 

I'm also attaching pictures of the old pump specs and the new pump specs, to show they are the same (verified before purchasing).  They are the same brand, and have the same HP, Volts, HZ and Speed.  Slightly different model numbers, but read that the new one I bought was exchangeable with the old model number.

I cannot see the shaft spinning on the new circ pump when its powered on.  It wasn't spinning on the old one either, which is why I installed the new one.  

Also added pictures of the schematic and the circuit board.  

Because power is coming off the board, should we rule out a bad fuse or relay?  

Most likely culprits being I accidently wired the new pump wrong (unlikely but possible), air-lock, or impediment blockage in hose line somewhere?  Any other thoughts?

520012588_CircuitBoardCircPump.thumb.jpeg.e22f06d3912b5589f73b6a78c7cf9a3b.jpeg

Circ Pump Wiring.jpeg

Old Circ Pump.jpeg

New Circ Pump.jpeg

Schematic.jpeg

circuit board.jpeg

Black to White/tan should be 230V so no power off the board. Did you wait until it was past PR on the topside and the temp was displayed before testing for power off the board Blk to Tan where the circ connects?  Did you test all fuses?

On 3/1/2022 at 9:33 AM, Matt M said:

When I manually start the two jets the codes go away and don't come back until the jets are off and water movement through the heater has slowed/stopped.

I find this odd as the main pumps are not usually plumbed into the same plumbing as the circ. The circ is usually the only pump flowing water through the heater tube and across the sensors so the main pumps should not throw or clear a DR error. What brand of spa?

@RDspaguythoughts

Try plug pump 2 into circ location. When PR is displayed on topside press warm up once. Does pump 2 start automatically? Plug circ into pump 2 and when PR is displayed press jets 2 does circ start?

B.L.U.F. - everything seems to be working now!  After doing the tests, I wired everything back to normal, turned power back on and after prime mode the circ pump came on and is running. 🙌

Here’s the results of the diagnostic tests:

Fuses all checked out as good

Then switched pump 2 and circ pump on the board and powered up. The circ pump came on during warm up, but pump 2 did not. However, I now realize I might not have waited long enough to see if it would come on. I assumed the circ pump spot on the circuit board was out so I gave up quickly. Then put everything back and powered up. Waited for prime mode to end and the dr code flashed for a second but then the sweet sound of the circ pump came on and it was running, dr code went away.

Will obviously report if code comes back, but with the pump running now I think I should be in the clear.

So how did the issue resolve itself? 

I’m new to this all, but I have two guesses:

1) either there was air in the circ pump lines that was able to be cleared when I forced it on pressing the pump 2 button during prime mode, or

2) when I was swapping out the connections on the board, I noticed the W2 connection wire (which connects the circ pump and ozone to the RED AC bank) looked somewhat loose, so I pushed on it to make sure it was connected properly. So possible it came loose at some point..assuming that would keep the circ pump from running.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts, but truly appreciate the help! 

A3BA81AD-1FEB-496C-A11D-2338DE8469D4.jpeg