Cracked - Hayward Star Clear II Filter Tank Body

CyberJiro

Your only chance would be something that would give you some flex.  Epoxys and most glues would give a ridged patch that would crack either through the patch, or at the edge of as soon as the tank flexed or expanded with pressure. 

You could try letting the tank dry COMPLETELY, like for a couple of days.  Then pushing some high temp silicone (orange) into the crack with your thumb and let it cure while the tank is still dry.  Dont make a mess, just in the crack.  You still want to keep the o-ring groove clear.  Even then, this attempted repair offers no guarantee.  this would be a temp fix at best while you are waiting for the replacement filter or tank.  Note: If you were to manage no leaks with this fix, I would not trust enough to go on holiday for a week with it like that.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

Going way back in the 70's and 80's I used to get a product from Hayward that was called "schmear".  I am not certain if Hayward still offers the product.  It was used for field repairs on cycolac tanks, lids, chlorinators and a host of other products that needed repair.  Basically, it was cycolac chips that are the same as what was used to mold the tank or associated parts of the same product and you simply needed an acetone, usually MEK, methyl ethyl ketone, mixed with the chips to form the repair paste.

You may want to ask some of the pool service people who make equipment repairs if they know where you can get it.  As RD did say, the spot that needs the repair is in a vulnerable location for sure.  We used to use the schmear on numerous occasions when out in the field.  Within minutes, good as new.  You may have to contact Hayward directly in New Jersey to get information on this product.  There were not many people that knew about this product as it was kept pretty close to the belt..  

• Like 1

Wow @Ahhsomeguy, here I thought you were just a chemistry guy. 👍

I've use a similar method for D1 shell repairs. Not sure if it's the same material, but it was pellets melted with a solvent to form a paste. If such a product still exists for filter canisters I would not warranty the repair so would not recommend it to my customers. On a DIY, it would only cost you your time and effort, plus a few $ in materials, to find out.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

Well RD, I have worn and wear a great number of hats.  My chemistry background led me into the swimming pool industry in 1969.  I have sold and installed thousands of pools and hot tubs over the years.  Sold a large business in 2007 and decided to keep the Ahh-Some product as a way to stay active in the industry.  Because of the growth in the hot tub industry and recent awareness of Biofilms, our business has experienced rapid growth.  So, yes, I am an old codger who just won't retire.  I love the recreational water industry.  I have dedicated my entire life to it and it has served me well.  I do try to help people in this forum if they need assistance, as you do.  When I feel I can help a questioner, I do it.

• Like 1