Master Rebate?

gillman

Recently, a local spa dealer selling Master baited shoppers with advertising that mentioned rebates of something like $9,000. I thought it sounded too good to be true, so I went to check it out. Anyhow, I met this salesman who looked just like High-pitch Eric, from the Howard Stern Show. I asked him to explain how this rebate worked, and he was very vague about the whole thing. All he would really say is that I could get an $18,000 TV spa for around $9,000. I asked him if any other buyers (before the sale) had actually paid $18,000 for the same spa, and he said lots of them had. I don't know if I believe him, as he didn't seem very credible to me. I guess all I really want to know is whether or not this rebate thing is legitimate or not? Any help or experience from other buyers is appreciated. Thanks!

It's not legit. It is managed by a third party who makes it next to impossible to claim the rebate with detailed requirements. The intent of course is never to pay out. I think the 1050 with TV straight up is around $12K. My wife's boss got burned on this deal but not to the tune of $9K. If you like the spa negotiate straight up. If you don't like the dealer, find another brand spa. There are many viable alternatives.

It's not legit. It is managed by a third party who makes it next to impossible to claim the rebate with detailed requirements. The intent of course is never to pay out. I think the 1050 with TV straight up is around $12K. My wife's boss got burned on this deal but not to the tune of $9K. If you like the spa negotiate straight up. If you don't like the dealer, find another brand spa. There are many viable alternatives.

Master spas and all who are a part of their marketing company should all burn in hell for what they do. Phony spa shows, bogus rebates. If I sold spas for them I doubt I could kiss my wife or kids with the vile that I would have to spew when scamming people out of their money. They are the single biggest disgrace to the spa business . Its to bad because the product is OK.

Recently, a local spa dealer selling Master baited shoppers with advertising that mentioned rebates of something like $9,000. I thought it sounded too good to be true, so I went to check it out. Anyhow, I met this salesman who looked just like High-pitch Eric, from the Howard Stern Show. I asked him to explain how this rebate worked, and he was very vague about the whole thing. All he would really say is that I could get an $18,000 TV spa for around $9,000. I asked him if any other buyers (before the sale) had actually paid $18,000 for the same spa, and he said lots of them had. I don't know if I believe him, as he didn't seem very credible to me. I guess all I really want to know is whether or not this rebate thing is legitimate or not? Any help or experience from other buyers is appreciated. Thanks!

As they say in "The Holy Grail", RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, this has proven to be the scam that everyone's intuiition tells them it must be. There have been state attorney generals that have sued those running it and sooo many people posting here and on other sites haev posted how they were denied when it came time to get their money because they have so many tricks to disallow the rebate. The problem is that everyone is looking for a free ride in life so many take the chance and then feel like fools.

Regarding Master Rebates, you have received excellent advise to run as fast as you can. To do further research please look on the internet under Cashable Vouchers, or Consumers Trust who administers some of these programs. A Canadian Hot Tub company called Polar Spas was using this program and promising cash rebates to their customers as well. It is a black eye for our industry to have these companies using such methods to sell hot tubs.

Regarding Master Rebates, you have received excellent advise to run as fast as you can. To do further research please look on the internet under Cashable Vouchers, or Consumers Trust who administers some of these programs. A Canadian Hot Tub company called Polar Spas was using this program and promising cash rebates to their customers as well. It is a black eye for our industry to have these companies using such methods to sell hot tubs.

On the other hand if it's just a local sale thing "Buy this 18,000 dollar spa today for a 9,000 dollar savings" you should also run away. There is no master Spa worth that kind of money. Not a bad product just not that good. There selling you a 7,000 dollar tub for 9,000. This is one of the oldest sales pitches in the book.

Thanks everyone for the help. As one of the posters suggested, I did some research on the master rebate - WOW!!! What an eye-opener, but I don't think that's what this High-pitch Eric look-a-like Master salesman was talking about. I called him back yesterday to ask more questions about the rebate - now that I was better informed. He said Master stopped using the Cash-back Rebate, because it was too much of a paperwork hassle for buyers, and that now it's an INSTANT REBATE. Although that struck me as odd, because the ad I heard said the rebate was "back by popular demand". I asked him about the current legal action against Consumer's Trust, and he said all of that was being made up by Master's competitors. Then he told me he used to be a Chippendales dancer. That was just toooooo weird, and since the bs was getting deeper than my boots could handle, I decided to trade my boots for Reeboks, and RUN AWAY!!!!

Thanks again.

• 2 years later...

OK - I need to post a huge disclaimer first:

I do not think these programs are a good idea. I have heard more about people NOT getting money back and lawsuits, even court intervention than I would like to hear. I don't feel these programs can work the way they claim to, unless they get lots of people to give up and not take their claim to court or whatever. That is my opnion, based on reading boards like this one and others, as well as an article in one of the trade journals - I think it was Pool and Spa News.

So why dredge this up again then?

Because somebody got paid. It was not in the pool and spa realm at all, it was on a board dealing with MasterCraft ski/wakeboard boats. Here is the link if you would like to go check it out - the man got paid, and actually posted a copy of the check. But he had to go through lots of hassle to get it, and there are posters on that board who express the opinions that he might not have gotten paid if he had not posted it on a web board and made a stink about it. Read the first page and the second to the last page to save time if you need to.

Once again - I am not endorsing these programs, nor am I saying that I have any hard fast evidence that they are all scams. I am only posting this to give hope to any of you who may have given up on one.

B)

I got suckered into selling the same rebate in one of my stores. Thank God I only did it for a couple of months. The salesman from counsumer trust had a great sales pitch. We checked with our legal department and as a dealer we were not responsible of any claims. So I tried it. Then after a few months I stared to hear the stories about what was happening with some of the customers from other businesses so I stoped selling the program. I only had about 20 customers that I sold. When They came to me after C.T. went belly up. I refunded the money that they spent on the deal. As it was said over and over. If it sounds to good to be true..........

"Someone got paid".

Ok, that's ONE .. out of how many? And if you read the entire thread, it looks like he may have just gotten lucky due to the popularity of the post in Google and the intervention of others. This is the first person I've ever seen that's actually gotten paid, and I spent some time a while ago searching the net. I found consumers in almost every industry that offered this type of thing, that went for the rebate, but were denied payment. This is the ONLY one I've ever seen that's gotten paid. Heck, to stay somewhat "legal", or at least be able to argue a future lawsuit, they have to pay out occasionally.

I believe thats the cashable voucher program also known as the "oucher voucher". Its bull!!!! If you buy from them, get the best price you would be happy with expecting NO REBATE back. Plus remember you probably won't get good service, if at all. Good luck. I haven't know One good Master spa dealer yet.

"Someone got paid".

Ok, that's ONE .. out of how many? And if you read the entire thread, it looks like he may have just gotten lucky due to the popularity of the post in Google and the intervention of others.

I agree - and there have been plenty of people who have posted both on Spa boards and other boards who have NOT gotten paid.

I sure don't want to do anything to encourage people to sign up for these things, but I did want to offer an example of how ONE person did manage to get paid. If there are others out there who are in these things, let's hear about it and try to do the same for them.

B)