Help With New Spa Purchase Please

Venams

I have had 3 Sundance tubs in the past and am very pleased with all of them.

My last tub was an Optima and I'm looking for a bit bigger spa as well as some "bells and whistles" like led lighting and waterfalls. The Optima had one waterfall but it wasn't overwhelming in that respect.

I live in the Chicago area and The Great Escape carries Sundance and Jacuzzi so pricing is pretty good on those 2.

So I've narrowed down to the Aspen model and prefer over the Maxxus since we don't need the dedicated therapy seat.

Are there any other "top of the line" spas I should look at besides the Sundance Aspen?

I checked out Hot Springs a few years back and to be honest I was turned off with their spa surface shell and the moto massage.

I checked out the D1 Amore (online only) and it a appears to be nice but very curvy and different although the heart on the shell is a little hokey and I really don't like the 2 dedicated seats up front. Other than that it's a beautiful tub and I love the dancing water columns (wish Sundance had that versus the 2 platform waterfalls).

I didn't even think to look at the Jacuzzi product and the J495 appears to be a larger tub. I'm not sure the pros/cons between the J495 and Aspen?

Depending on how long ago a few years was, the Hot Spring tub you saw might have had their older Endurol (white egg shell texture looking) finish, I think the transistion years were about 2005 - 2008 when the newer shell choices were introduced. They also offer a few models without moto-massage or moto-massage-DX, depending on the size of tub you are condsidering. These include the 5 seat Prodigy form the Highlife collection, as well as the Pulse, Flair, Glow and Bolt from the Limelight collection.

Got quoted around 12K + tax for the Sundance Aspen; no stereo but lifter/steps and delivery.

Called the only D1 dealer in my area and got quoted 12,900 for the Amore Bay (no stereo but lifter/steps and delivery).

I really like the D1 filtration and sanitizer systems (seems more robust than Sundance or Jacuzzi) but I'm worried about the dedicated loungers on half of the tub. I really prefer the more open seating tubs like the Optima, Aspen etc. so I'm at a crossroads.

So my spa search list is udpated.

So hard to compare since many of the features like waterfalls, lighting and filtration differ so greatly between manufacturers/tubs. I like my Optima so the Aspen is a no-brainer but I'm disappointed that Sundance has not done anything really new in terms of waterfalls and lighting. It looks like the same boring water terrace that I have in my Optima (except 2 in the Aspen's case) and LED lighting also looks to be the same scheme. For this reason and also a different type of seating arrangement, I'm looking at the competitors below:

Sundance Aspen

Jacuzzi J495

Caldera Cantabria

Hot Springs Gleam

My opinion is you can't go wrong with any of those. When comparing the gleam and Cantabria they are pretty much the same tub so I would say whichever has the better price. I personally like the jacuzzi better then the sundance but again very similar.

Here at the prices I've gotten so far (tub, cover, lifter, steps, delivery but not including taxes):

Sundance Aspen 12,200

Jacuzzi J495 no price yet but assuming close to Aspen price, same dealer

Caldera Cantabria 13,500

Hot Springs Gleam 11,200

Are these good prices? Am I correct in assuming the the Limelight collection is a bit cheaper than the Highlife collection? At least that's what the Hot Springs dealer suggested.

UPDATE:

Went to the local Hot Springs dealer to check out the Gleam. They didn't have it filled because it was sold awaiting delivery.

A few observations. The jets and overall layout appeared to be a minor step down from the tubs in the "Highlife" collection when compared. This was proven when I asked about the Limelight series not having 100% filtration from the pumps/jets. There are extra drains on the bottom and those go directly back to the jets. I did like the lighting but again was told that it's a step down from the highlife series and that's why those tubs go for a little more money and carry the 10 year shell warranty. The seats in the Gleam were deeper than my Optima; not good or bad just different and an observation. Not sure if I'll like the deeper seats or not and couldn't wet test.

I'm still considering it but wish they offered a tub similar to the Gleam but in the Highlife collection.

I was told that the Highlife collection is being redesigned for 2014 with a little different shell, lighting jetting etc. but they didn't know when that would be complete and the new tubs would be available.

So that explains the pricing difference on the 2014 Gleam at 11,200 versus 12,200 for the Aspen

Vinyl covers do NOT depreciate beginning day 1. They depreciate beginning the day the polyethylene vapor barrier surrounding the foam starts to degrade and allows permeation of moisture.. Depending on the thickness of the polyethylene, the way it was sealed, and how the spa has been chemicalized, this can be as long as 5 -7 years.

While I love the look and the concept of your product. I wonder if the compromise in R-Value will not soon put the cost of a few new foam core covers a better value.

Roger - a couple of things to consider....as foam gets wet it actually loses its R-value resulting in loss of heat retention ability beginning day 1. The new cover design doesn't have this issue since it retains it's heat retention ability throughout its life since the foam is't exposed to water due to the polymer material that encapsulates the foam. Smartop was tested against vinyl covers and performed equally as well if not better in some cases with it's heat retention ability. To sum it up - vinyl covers depreciate beginning day 1 - Smartop's don't depreciate.

You know all was fine until you spammed the thread with this BS sales pitch. Like I said, if the tub lasts for 15 years and lets say for the sake of this you buy a new foam cover every 5 years. Thats 3 covers for 4 hundo each or 1200 dollars. That means you have about 400 bucks in electricity that you'd better save and like I said it may be a push or it may even be more expensive in the long run to own your cover.

Don't throw around BS about how your 1" of foam can insulate as good as a 5 to 3 tapered foam core cover because a 5-3 tapered cover will start getting wet on day 1. I have disposed of 7 year old foam core covers that weren't wet but were ripped and deteriorated and needed to be replaced. Not all foam core covers get wet and heavy until their life expectancy is reached so they insulate as good after 5 years as they do on day 1.

I'd really like to see the data on how your 1" of foam insulated as well as 3"

Thanks Apollo. I am really leaning toward the Gleam because I think it's time for a different tub, not that Sundance isn't nice but I've already had 3 and 2 Optimas.

Price seems pretty good at around 11,200 as well even though it doesn't have all the bells/whistles and features of the "High Life" series.

I heard that Hot Springs is redesigning all the tubs in the "High Life" series for 2014. I just with that was done and they were out so I could compare to the Gleam.

Maybe we'll see something out shortly? I also know that one of my dealers said there is a Hot Springs promotion coming in March but can't tell me what it is yet because it hasn't been released? I'm hoping for something like free "ACE" system like they offered back in Fall of 2013! I'd jump on that because even if it turned out to be a terrible problematic system (like some of the reviews I've read), I could always just add a CD Ozonizer to the tub right?

Thanks Apollo. I am really leaning toward the Gleam because I think it's time for a different tub, not that Sundance isn't nice but I've already had 3 and 2 Optimas.Price seems pretty good at around 11,200 as well even though it doesn't have all the bells/whistles and features of the "High Life" series.I heard that Hot Springs is redesigning all the tubs in the "High Life" series for 2014. I just with that was done and they were out so I could compare to the Gleam.Maybe we'll see something out shortly? I also know that one of my dealers said there is a Hot Springs promotion coming in March but can't tell me what it is yet because it hasn't been released? I'm hoping for something like free "ACE" system like they offered back in Fall of 2013! I'd jump on that because even if it turned out to be a terrible problematic system (like some of the reviews I've read), I could always just add a CD Ozonizer to the tub right?

Hi 3nickles,

The 2014 Highlife models will be rolled out over the first half of the year. Your local dealer is the best place for questions related to timing. We are thrilled you are considering Hot Spring. Please stay tuned for upcoming promotions. They are right around the corner!

Thank you,

Erica

The Hot Spring Team

Thanks Apollo. I am really leaning toward the Gleam because I think it's time for a different tub, not that Sundance isn't nice but I've already had 3 and 2 Optimas.Price seems pretty good at around 11,200 as well even though it doesn't have all the bells/whistles and features of the "High Life" series.I heard that Hot Springs is redesigning all the tubs in the "High Life" series for 2014. I just with that was done and they were out so I could compare to the Gleam.Maybe we'll see something out shortly? I also know that one of my dealers said there is a Hot Springs promotion coming in March but can't tell me what it is yet because it hasn't been released? I'm hoping for something like free "ACE" system like they offered back in Fall of 2013! I'd jump on that because even if it turned out to be a terrible problematic system (like some of the reviews I've read), I could always just add a CD Ozonizer to the tub right?

Hi 3nickles,

The 2014 Highlife models will be rolled out over the first half of the year. Your local dealer is the best place for questions related to timing. We are thrilled you are considering Hot Spring. Please stay tuned for upcoming promotions. They are right around the corner!

Thank you,

Erica

The Hot Spring Team

Erica;

Do you know if the Highlife collection will contain a tub as large as the Gleam, or are they just keeping the basic tub dimensions and updating just the features?