Whats Your Favorite Tub And Why?

MileHghSpaGuy

Hello, I haven't been on this forum for years...I think my name was SpaGeek but I couldn't seem to find my old log in information so I started a new name.

I see everyone has their favorites, so without anyone fighting or much arguing, what do you like and why? Maybe rate a couple tiers of hot tubs, I don't think you can say "this brand is the best" or even "this brand over this brand" (ie:sundance over hot springs) because its all matter of opinion and they probably more similar in being higher end spas then they are different...maybe certain small things but same principals. But tiers...I don't think many people would agree with mine so I will just let everyone else talk if they want.

I seriously am not looking to start a war, most people on here will be biased to what they sell, but I am curious why you like what you like not why you don't like others. People make their livings on these products so lets not try and bash anyone else..unless a traveling sales team in town or a big box store comes up that is! :)

Coming from the service side I prefer the couple companies that have good efficiency while thermo locking for future accessibility. I don't think many companies do a good enough job of thermolocking but some do. I like plastic bottoms and larger more comfortable jetting. I do not mind the companies that spray in foam but think spray foam wont even be around in 10 years as its too old fashioned, low R value per inch and just call out to be infested with rodents (at least where I live). I do not think a circ pump matters one way or another, I do think circ pumps fail often but don't think they make much difference. I don't think framing is a huge deal unless you plan on moving and taking the hot tub with you.

Thanks for taking any time....Cheers!

You started it...aren't you supposed to go first?

"I do not mind the companies that spray in foam but think spray foam wont even be around in 10 years as its too old fashioned"...So is the wheel, but I don't think they're going anywhere, as they work quite well. :P

Hello, I haven't been on this forum for years...I think my name was SpaGeek but I couldn't seem to find my old log in information so I started a new name.

I see everyone has their favorites, so without anyone fighting or much arguing, what do you like and why? Maybe rate a couple tiers of hot tubs, I don't think you can say "this brand is the best" or even "this brand over this brand" (ie:sundance over hot springs) because its all matter of opinion and they probably more similar in being higher end spas then they are different...maybe certain small things but same principals. But tiers...I don't think many people would agree with mine so I will just let everyone else talk if they want.

I seriously am not looking to start a war, most people on here will be biased to what they sell, but I am curious why you like what you like not why you don't like others. People make their livings on these products so lets not try and bash anyone else..unless a traveling sales team in town or a big box store comes up that is! :)

Coming from the service side I prefer the couple companies that have good efficiency while thermo locking for future accessibility. I don't think many companies do a good enough job of thermolocking but some do. I like plastic bottoms and larger more comfortable jetting. I do not mind the companies that spray in foam but think spray foam wont even be around in 10 years as its too old fashioned, low R value per inch and just call out to be infested with rodents (at least where I live). I do not think a circ pump matters one way or another, I do think circ pumps fail often but don't think they make much difference. I don't think framing is a huge deal unless you plan on moving and taking the hot tub with you.

Thanks for taking any time....Cheers!

In the same theme, I think a well insulated spa is important as I live in Northern Minnesota. I agree with the frame material not being an important factor as long as it holds up for the life of the spa. I like manufacturers with long standing reputations for building quality, long lasting tubs. And I like hydrotherapy over hot swirling water. I think you can tell a lot about how the tub is built by looking at the quality of the cover chosen and the way the top lip meets the cabinet. I think a circ pump is important for heating and filtering because it creates a quiet tub and introduces ozone 24/7 and they are so easy to replace that to me they seem worth it.

Ok dr ill go first. To your reply about the wheel...do our car wheels look like Fred flinstones or are their designers and engineers redesigning their performance while keeping same concept of being a wheel? Things can always benimproved IMO...spray foam has little r value per inch, can generally only hold a couple inches down the walls until it gets under the seats.

I will group my favorites in tiers because their is no "best" spa...please keep in mind these my favorites, not claiming they the best for everyone, but I like them.

Tier 1:arctic, Maax, bullfrog, jacuzzi (3-400 series). I am jaded towards repairing leaks, I think arctic and Maax are best thermo lock insulating tubs. These companies have shown good efficiency while almost eliminating problematic leaking issues. Bullfrog and Maax offer non wood frames which is cool and they all use plastic bottoms. I really like maaxs jets in neck and shoulders and foot in loungers. Jacuzzi may have best back jets and even though I hope someday they change their insulation and don't like they built in Mexico now their product is still good and feels great. I also prefer balboa equipment, easiest to use, diagnose etc and not expensive to fix down road. I haven't tried bullfrog since new jet packs out but heard their performance has suffered.

Tier 2: marquis, hot springs, sundance d1 I think every tub should have a plastic bottom, Id have all these companies but marquis in tier 1 if they changed. The sundance cameo is my favorite hot tub to sit in. I also think sundance corrected their ozone problems with clear ray even though I think their sales people are over selling it.

Tier 3 I think those tiers covered most spas being sold. Artesian, master, dynasty, Catalina probably belong here.

Yea I'm not sure how a mediocre tub like the MAXX could even be possibly considered tier 1. Our local dealer shut down because here in Northern Minnesota their operating cost was almost double of the likes of Marquis, D1 and of course the Watkins products which seem to do well in my area because of their energy efficiency. Now if your asking what my favorite is and why it would have to be the D1 Nautilus which I have said many times. And it still remains my personal favorite tub. Not sure if the change of ownership will change this in the future but the company itself is great to work with and my local dealers are awesome. The company has a very well established reputation for building a high quality product with great hydrotherapy and innovation.

And in the value field I would have to say Viking and Great Lakes but there are many.

In the "think they should be high end" and are overpriced for the quality MAXX, Master, Calspa, Thermospa.

I will put Arctic where they belong. A good tub mostly. Overpriced for what they call innovation. But I would also put Hot Springs in this class because I hate proprietary. And they to are overpriced.

Disclaimer: This is all just my opinion based on my experience. I have soaked in and worked on every brand listed.

Lol markee, why not open the entire front? That's a picture of a dealer ripping apart the front to run 110v to turn on lights and maybe stereo. Your picture is a picture of your equipment pack. How many inches of insulation down the sidewalls does the spirit have...keep in mind framing and plumbing take up space...maybe 2-4 inches? You get the same or more thickness of insulation on a Maax. Do I need to post pictures of marquis on their side ripping out foam? Don't worry I won't because I'm not going to try and scare people from buying your tubs because they are nice and if I liked their jetting more would have been in MY tier 1. Btw I hope you aren't selling those celebrity tubs marquis came it with...just buy a Laguna bay.

Rodger the largest pool builder in Minneapolis is a Maax dealer, i dont think they would risk their reputation so they could sell poorly insulated hot tubs. I don't know about northern Minnesota but I also know the dealer in Halifax and Niagara Falls Canada that tell me their customers don't notice much change in electric bill. Guess growing up with sundance and thinking nothing could touch them then going out on my own i try to teach customers i talk to their plenty of good brands...it's unfortunate that some of the older traditional companies can't help but bad mouth the ones with newer techniques. If you really do service, you must be sick to death of ripping out foam like i am?

Lol markee, why not open the entire front? That's a picture of a dealer ripping apart the front to run 110v to turn on lights and maybe stereo. Your picture is a picture of your equipment pack. How many inches of insulation down the sidewalls does the spirit have...keep in mind framing and plumbing take up space...maybe 2-4 inches? You get the same or more thickness of insulation on a Maax. Do I need to post pictures of marquis on their side ripping out foam? Don't worry I won't because I'm not going to try and scare people from buying your tubs because they are nice and if I liked their jetting more would have been in MY tier 1. Btw I hope you aren't selling those celebrity tubs marquis came it with...just buy a Laguna bay.

Rodger the largest pool builder in Minneapolis is a Maax dealer, i dont think they would risk their reputation so they could sell poorly insulated hot tubs. I don't know about northern Minnesota but I also know the dealer in Halifax and Niagara Falls Canada that tell me their customers don't notice much change in electric bill. Guess growing up with sundance and thinking nothing could touch them then going out on my own i try to teach customers i talk to their plenty of good brands...it's unfortunate that some of the older traditional companies can't help but bad mouth the ones with newer techniques. If you really do service, you must be sick to death of ripping out foam like i am?

About 1 in 100 repairs are in the foam so no, not sick of it at all it just doesn't happen that often. And of the times it does happen it's usual 15-20 year old tub. Customer wants a new one. What does being the largest pool builder in MPLS have to do with anything? Master Spa sells the most tubs in that area. I think the bad mouthing started on the other end of the conversation and most are simply disapproving. Happens all the time. With the mild weather in Halifax, Niagara and Denver I can see how insulation wouldn't matter and their electric bills wouldn't be effected. It's gets cold here. With an average temp I would guess about half of the city's you listed including Nova Scotia

I'm pretty sure the tubs I see Breckenridge and other mountain towns are subject to enough snow and cold weather to justify my point.

We average 50-70 calls per week and 10+ are digging foam. Some more severe then others... we also average 2-3 in shop replumbs every month... we also get bad rodent problems in foam. I've never met a service tech in my life that wasn't jaded to foam.... weird.

Some foam is better than others. I've seen a lot of full foam spas that have the hard spray foam that has to be sawed or chiseled. If the foam is a soft foam that can easily be moved, I don't really see the issue.

Spoken like somone who hasn't done it before. Maybe I will post a couple pictures of how easy its not. That "soft" foam is open cell, which actually has far less r value then closed cell...kind of catch 22.

I'm pretty sure the tubs I see Breckenridge and other mountain towns are subject to enough snow and cold weather to justify my point.

We average 50-70 calls per week and 10+ are digging foam. Some more severe then others... we also average 2-3 in shop replumbs every month... we also get bad rodent problems in foam. I've never met a service tech in my life that wasn't jaded to foam.... weird.

I'm not surprised you think those mountain towns are cold. I have a hot knife that uses a wire to cut closed or open cell foam like butter so.......I can't believe your techs haven't discovered it.