Negotiating With The Dealer?

I have been researching getting a hot tub and we are definitely going to purchase a D1 Amore Bay. We went to the first dealer today. He said it was "on sale" for $14999. (Not including taxes, but everything else included) He seemed to be set in his price. From researching on here, it seems as though you can get them to lower the price if you have the right info and play the game a little.

Does anyone know about how much I should be able to get the Amore Bay at right now? I have seen so many other posts as low as $11,900 (more around the $13000 range) but all these were a few years ago. I do think $14999 seems too high (It was the price listed on the sale tag and he said it was firm. (This was a huge store with a TON of nice products all over priced in my opinion)

We are going to look into the other 4 surrounding towns that offer the D1 spas. We are in MA if that makes a difference at all.

Any advice/tips/info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

In eastern Mass particularly, you need to be VERY careful about which dealer you do business with. A couple of them are very good, honest and reliable. A couple of them are downright terrible dealers. I'm not going to get caught up in naming names because I really don't want to get caught up in potential libel claims. Do your own due diligence starting with the BBB, asking each dealer for references, etc.

If you shop in this area solely based on price, I can guarantee that you will get hosed.

I'm doing quite a lot of D1 work in this area, including warranty work for one dealer. My most lucrative repair work comes from the screw ups of another dealer's service people. You've been warned. Do your proper homework.

The D1 brand is a very solid tub. The Bay series of tub's are very expensive and fancy. You can save quite a bit if you step down by one series. You will not be sacrificing quality.

John

Thank you so much for your response John. We live in Eastern MA (unlucky for us!) Would you suggest traveling to purchase a tub then? Do you think looking in RI would make a difference? I am not sure what my options are as I am new to this research but I really do appreciate your advice. This is eye opening, but I can totally see why you are saying this. The guy that we went to, standing firm on $14999 seemed a bit crazy to me and the manager was completely rude and grumpy. I know it's not your job to answer my questions, but do you have any idea what a good price on the Amore bay is these days?

We do want to get the Amore Bay because of the layout seems like it would work well for our kids too.

Thank you again. So much.

Erin

I'm guessing you priced ferrari. The best dealer in the area as far as reputation would be the pool doctor in Coventry. There is also a dealer in Westwood though I don't know much about him. The amore bay is one of their most expensive tubs so price wise that's probably in the ballpark of what you can expect to pay in this area. Depending on where in eastern ma you are the pool doctor maybe your closest retailer anyway

Thank you so much for your response John. We live in Eastern MA (unlucky for us!) Would you suggest traveling to purchase a tub then? Do you think looking in RI would make a difference? I am not sure what my options are as I am new to this research but I really do appreciate your advice. This is eye opening, but I can totally see why you are saying this. The guy that we went to, standing firm on $14999 seemed a bit crazy to me and the manager was completely rude and grumpy. I know it's not your job to answer my questions, but do you have any idea what a good price on the Amore bay is these days?

We do want to get the Amore Bay because of the layout seems like it would work well for our kids too.

Thank you again. So much.

Erin

D1 is a good brand but I've always felt the Bay series was overpriced (or way overpriced in this instance) while IMO the Reflecton series was the much better option for D1 when price is considered.

I think you'd be best to send a PM (personal message) to John and see if you an get a clearer opinion because some are understandably more choosey in what they say in an open forum.

Thank you for your responses. I did end up messaging John and he was SUPER helpful. Thank God for people like him. I ended up contacting the Pool Dr and got a better price of $14600. I still need to go in there and see if I can talk them down a bit, even though I have no clue how to do that!

I do agree that the Amore Bay is over priced, but it is the only tub out there (that I have seen) that has that layout. I have kids and I love the idea of them having the open bench seating area to kind of splash around while I can sit across and watch them in a way. It makes me feel like I am getting this for the kids too, when really it is me who wants one so badly :) If there was any other tub out there with this layout, I would certainly be looking into that instead. It is the only reason I want this specific tub. Too bad other companies haven't replicated it yet!

Thank you again for your helpful responses. I really appreciate it!!

Thanks to all forum members - I have learned alot while trying to figure a fair deal on a Vanguard Hotspring Spa. I have two quotes from local dealers but I think I am getting newbie pricing as follows (both dealers are within $750 of the price below):

1. Vanguard $11,095

2. cover $299

3. cover cradle II $510

4. ACE SALT $1,495

less DISCOUNT <$1150>

sub-total $12,249

plus:

start-up, set-up, spa leveling, delivery +$775

Total bf tax $13,800 !

Question 1- from my reading (mostly here) looks like I should get delivered and set-up for quite a bit less $10-$12k??? I thought the cover was included?

Question 2 - looks like most forum posters are currently advising waiting on the SALT (a separate topic)

any help much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

ErinC - I think you're in my neighborhood --- I have nothing but praise for my dealer - in Littleton, MA - yeah, he's 25-30 miles from me, but he was the only Arctic dealer and we liked the product and had confidence in him. Very happy with my purchase. We LOVE the Arctic Yukon.

We had also contacted Budget Pools in Peabody, MA - because we were looking at Jacuzzi brand spas. I had complete confidence in them as a dealer as well, and also liked their product line, and would likely have been very happy if we had gone in that direction. We visited them around four, five times and going through the cycle with them was a pleasant experience.

It was a difficult decision - which way to go -- both dealers were great, their products were great, too, and we feel we couldn't have gone wrong either way.

There are other brands as well -- GOOD ones -- we just didn't have the time to check them all out... good luck...

ErinC we also went with a D1 spa and are very happy with it. We went with the Nautique from the reflections series. We got the best possible price from a local dealer and was about to pull the trigger and then I went online to find other D1 dealers and found a dealer about an hour away from us. Anyway they had the same spa we wanted for $2400.00 less and also delivered it and put it up on our back deck next to the pool free of charge. We like our local dealer and still use them for testing and our supplies for the spa and the pool (that's where we purchased our pool). But saving $2400.00 is a big deal and they understood that. Remember just because you purchase from another dealer you can use the dealer of your choice service.

Good luck & Happy tubbing :)

Bulldogge

ErinC we also went with a D1 spa and are very happy with it. We went with the Nautique from the reflections series. We got the best possible price from a local dealer and was about to pull the trigger and then I went online to find other D1 dealers and found a dealer about an hour away from us. Anyway they had the same spa we wanted for $2400.00 less and also delivered it and put it up on our back deck next to the pool free of charge. We like our local dealer and still use them for testing and our supplies for the spa and the pool (that's where we purchased our pool). But saving $2400.00 is a big deal and they understood that. Remember just because you purchase from another dealer you can use the dealer of your choice service.

Bulldogge

This advice may be true in some areas, but it is generally inaccurate in my area. Most dealers in my service area that I do work for generally only service what they sell. If you have a local dealer who lost the sale, but is willing to provide warranty service (most manufacturers pay reduced rates for warranty service), you are very fortunate.

John

Bulldogge

You are not giving accurate advice. You can't buy from whichever dealer you chose and then assume the closer dealer will be there for warranty service as you are advising. It would be up to them if they wanted to give warranty coverage on a spa sold elsewhere and I assure you most would not for multiple reasons that are understandable.

Maybe your local D1 dealer in your specific case was ok with it and thats great for you but saying "Remember just because you purchase from another dealer you can use the dealer of your choice service." is simply untrue, it is not your choice, it is theirs.

Having said that I totally understand why you went with the much lower price as would most anyone with that kind of difference but this is a case by case basis and each spa shopper needs to do their own due diligence. The thing to do is to ask if they'll match the price and if they say "no" then ask if they'll service it if you buy elsewhere and if/when they say "no" to that question then check with the further/lower priced dealer to see what they'll charge for driving to your place for warranty service as a trip charge may be in place. Its all about getting all the info up front.

If I gave inaccurate advice I do apologize to ErinC2006. I guess we are fortunate to have dealer that will do that for us. I would like to know what and why the reasons are for not wanting to do warranty service work. I would like these understandable reasons. I am not trying to be ignorant or anything, just trying to understand. If I buy a Toyota any Toyota dealer will service it. say if i lived in N.C. and moved to N.Y. and brought my 6 month old spa with me, you are saying that no dealer has to service it if they don't want to ? That just don't make much sense to me. Maybe I am missing something here and things need to be explained to me better. If a dealer does warranty work don't they get paid or reimburse from the manufacture ? Thanks for enlightening me on a few things i need to learn about.

Happy Tubbing :)

Bulldogge

Local service techs to me charge $90 to show up at your home, and $15 per 1/4 hour (or more)..... Manufacturers might pay $35 - 50 per service call. This includes travel time and whatever time it might take to make the repair...barely even pays for the gas to get there.

Toyota, pays the going rate for service.....and YOU take your car to THEM. (did you know most car dealers make MORE money doing service work than they do selling cars?)

Local service techs to me charge $90 to show up at your home, and $15 per 1/4 hour (or more)..... Manufacturers might pay $35 - 50 per service call. This includes travel time and whatever time it might take to make the repair...barely even pays for the gas to get there.

Toyota, pays the going rate for service.....and YOU take your car to THEM. (did you know most car dealers make MORE money doing service work than they do selling cars?)

Very likely this is the case for most car dealers -- and the irony of it is -- if their service ISN'T good, and something that the customer can rely on and have confidence in -- he's not going to buy another Toyota (or Chevy, or Ford, or whatever).

They have to do this. Car dealerships survive, not by selling you one car and walking away, but by getting you to buy four cars in a 15-year time span.

The hot tub dealer - different circumstances -- but he/she will do well based on good reputation and references. I just bought a new hot tub in 2010.

It may be my last one (given, wife and I are 63 and 62 respectively) and we don't know where we will be in 10-12 years. So this is a one-time purchase.

But my dealer (and service tech) is a good guy, a reliable guy, an honest guy, and an advocate for his customers with the manufacturer. Because he is, I will praise him to the moon and stars to anyone. He knows that, I know that.

He's probably more reliant on my referring people to him and the products he sells and services, than on my returning to buy another hot tub. So he provides great service, a friendly helpful staff, and occasionally I get a phone call from a prospective customer -- and I'm happy to tell them what I tell here.

So service is important. Dr. Spa - yeah you're a dealer, but I think you'll agree with me that SERVICE after the sale is critical to maintaining a flow of business -- you might not get a customer to buy another hot tub, but you depend on him to spread the good word about you. Happy customers are always happy to do that for you.

If I gave inaccurate advice I do apologize to ErinC2006. I guess we are fortunate to have dealer that will do that for us. I would like to know what and why the reasons are for not wanting to do warranty service work. I would like these understandable reasons. I am not trying to be ignorant or anything, just trying to understand. If I buy a Toyota any Toyota dealer will service it. say if i lived in N.C. and moved to N.Y. and brought my 6 month old spa with me, you are saying that no dealer has to service it if they don't want to ? That just don't make much sense to me. Maybe I am missing something here and things need to be explained to me better. If a dealer does warranty work don't they get paid or reimburse from the manufacture ? Thanks for enlightening me on a few things i need to learn about.

Happy Tubbing :)

Bulldogge

I am an independent service tech. I do a LOT of specialized service work for many dealers in Eastern Mass across many brands. My lowest rates to my favorite dealers are $95 to diagnose and $75 per hour for actual repair time. Apollo 217, who occasionally posts here, receives my lowest rate. He loses money each time I go out on a warranty call for him because the manufacturer generally only covers the part and labor, but the labor is capped at $65. He cheerfully covers the difference out-of-pocket on the small percentage of warranty calls from the PROFIT he made SELLING THE TUB. The local D1 dealer that I do work for is in the same predicament with small reimbursement rates for warranty service. None of the dealers that I work for will honor a warranty claim on a tub sold at another dealership unless the factory will agree to pay a higher rate and more time. Manufacturers will do this on very rare occasions..............very, very rare. Most manufacturers will generally steer you back to the selling dealer unless that dealer has gone out of business or you have moved a substantial distance away. Since the dealer you purchased from is still in business and you have not moved, count yourself lucky that the local guy states that he will service your tub. That would not happen in my service area.

John