Spas Not To Buy

I Need a Spa

Hello all -

I'm in the process of selecting a spa, and I don't have time to wet test every brand. I can read quite a bit online, and there are several local delears in my area (Richmond VA). (Hawkeye factory is here - and they seem to be "lower quality" than I would prefer). I'm sure someone is going to pick that to pieces.

I'm wondering if any of the experts who post here are willing to go "out on a limb" and name some companies that I shouldn't even consider?

There's no need to post replies that say stuff like "it's personal preference... or You really have to wet test and make the call for what feels best for you....". I understand you guys have to make a living too and it's not good practice to anger the spa companies.

I haven't bought a spa before, but I've bought lots of other stuff. And, they all look great in pictures on the net.

Thanks! :)

Seeing as there's around 140 spa manufacturers in the US, it might help to know what brands are available in your area.

Just looking for some recommended "do not buy" spa's. It looks like Gulf Coast Spa was one mentioned by another poster.

I'm in Richmond, VA. I know of these:

Local Manufactured Tubs:

Hawkeye Mfg. or Hottubs Direct (if you look on ebay).

Local Dealers for:

Vita Spa (made in FL)

Leisure Spa (Req-Whse)

Caldera

Beachcomber

Master Spa

Thermospa (they say they're everywhere)

D1

Coleman

Costco Brand (Elite?)

Sears (?)

Home Depot (?)

Local Dealers for:

Vita Spa (made in FL)

Leisure Spa (Req-Whse)

Caldera

Beachcomber

Master Spa

Thermospa (they say they're everywhere)

D1

Coleman

Costco Brand (Elite?)

Sears (?)

Home Depot (?)

Well, if you won't wet test and really want an opinion on a short list I'd go with D1 or Caldera. If you're willing to spend more time you could include Master, Coleman and Beachcomber to get a larger mix. I don't know much about Vita or Leisure. I wouldn't go with Thermospas. If Costco, Sears and Home Depot offer spas you'll find they're selling what appeals to the pocket at point of purchase but you get less up front, quality can be so-so and the warranties aren't as strong or well backed IMO.

Of course it's personal preference and you really have to wet test and make the call for what feels best for you...

Well, if you won't wet test and really want an opinion on a short list I'd go with D1 or Caldera. If you're willing to spend more time you could include Master, Coleman and Beachcomber to get a larger mix. I don't know much about Vita or Leisure. I wouldn't go with Thermospas. If Costco, Sears and Home Depot offer spas you'll find they're selling what appeals to the pocket at point of purchase but you get less up front, quality can be so-so and the warranties aren't as strong or well backed IMO.

Of course it's personal preference and you really have to wet test and make the call for what feels best for you...

OK thanks for the input. I will be wet testing them. I'm afraid that even the ones that aren't constructed very well, or are from companies that don't support their products well, will still feel good. My guess is that any spa I jump into will feel pretty good to me since I'm relatively inexperienced at "tubbing". And since the ones in the showroom are new and in the best condition they'll ever be in....well you get the idea. I just don't want a rude awakening 5 years from now.

OK thanks for the input. I will be wet testing them. I'm afraid that even the ones that aren't constructed very well, or are from companies that don't support their products well, will still feel good. My guess is that any spa I jump into will feel pretty good to me since I'm relatively inexperienced at "tubbing". And since the ones in the showroom are new and in the best condition they'll ever be in....well you get the idea. I just don't want a rude awakening 5 years from now.

That is a very good point. Most news spas will feel good. They will not necessarily all "fit" you well but the hot water and jets will feel good. Pay attention to whether it seems sturdy, what your dealer is like and how long they've been around and whether the manufacturer is known to be good about covering their warranty.

That is a very good point. Most news spas will feel good. They will not necessarily all "fit" you well but the hot water and jets will feel good. Pay attention to whether it seems sturdy, what your dealer is like and how long they've been around and whether the manufacturer is known to be good about covering their warranty.

So, with all that said... Are there any SPA manufacturers that are really bad? Stinkers, rotten eggs, rip-off companies that I should not even consider?

If I can reduce the field that would help.

Don't be ashamed people...Who has a crappy hot tub? WHo made it?

So, with all that said... Are there any SPA manufacturers that are really bad? Stinkers, rotten eggs, rip-off companies that I should not even consider?

If I can reduce the field that would help.

Don't be ashamed people...Who has a crappy hot tub? WHo made it?

I don't think it's a matter of being ashamed but the folks in the forum are mainly here to help give positive advice and not "bash" other companies. A reputable dealer will provide suggestions on how to get the information you need to get the information you need to make your decision instead of telling you another company is "bad/ stinkers/ rotten eggs and/or ripoffs". The best thing I can recommend is to look in the Better Bus. B. for information regarding a spa company not in good standing. It'll only take a couple of minutes and it is a pretty good way to find out if there are outstanding unhappy customers... although this is a guide. If you find that there are outstanding "marks" on their BBB standing, don't hesitate to talk to the dealer about it and how it's being handled. Also, see if the company you are interested in can offer some long time customers to talk to that are happy with the service they've been provided. To make your search easier, pick 3 of the local companies (preferrably built close by) and compare how they are built, quality of materials and lead time on their service calls.

I don't think it's a matter of being ashamed but the folks in the forum are mainly here to help give positive advice and not "bash" other companies. A reputable dealer will provide suggestions on how to get the information you need to get the information you need to make your decision instead of telling you another company is "bad/ stinkers/ rotten eggs and/or ripoffs". The best thing I can recommend is to look in the Better Bus. B. for information regarding a spa company not in good standing. It'll only take a couple of minutes and it is a pretty good way to find out if there are outstanding unhappy customers... although this is a guide. If you find that there are outstanding "marks" on their BBB standing, don't hesitate to talk to the dealer about it and how it's being handled. Also, see if the company you are interested in can offer some long time customers to talk to that are happy with the service they've been provided. To make your search easier, pick 3 of the local companies (preferrably built close by) and compare how they are built, quality of materials and lead time on their service calls.

ok. Does everybody here sell hot tubs?

We're not telling!

OK - I'll assume there are a bunch of spa sales"people" (for Amanda) here. I have 6k to spend in Richmond, VA. I'm buying something in the next 30 days.

I never read the rules for this forum but I'll bet it says no selling allowed. If anybody wants to sell a name brand tub send the info to:

2trippie@comcast.net

We'll keep it out of the forum after that. I will not repeat any quotes back into the forum. You won't be stepping on any local dealer toes because I haven't been to any other than Vita Spa. I don't think the Keyes backyard junk at Home Depot counts, I'm not considering that brand anyway.

Thanks

I don't know how many responses you will get - please keep us posted if you do get some.

I'm a dealer, but I cannot sell over the Internet. There are very few dealers who can. Most of us are here for two reasons: to help folks learn about the enjoyment of owning a tub, and to learn ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

im new here but it seems about 80/20(guess what the 80 is)

You're right... it is about 80/20... at least for the people that respond to comments. There are many many people that browse through to get information and never make a comment.

And thaks for the politically correct "people" instead of "salesmen". That's funny... I don't really get hung up on that kind of thing but it's good to be P.C. these days. I'm in an industry with a lot of fellows so it's pretty fun being one of the few women that's made it this long. I also don't sell spas over the internet. Good luck to you in your search and let us know what you've chosen. Take your time and think about the most important things to you. Tey not to get caught up in the "spa war".

We're not telling!

I have a gulf coast spa and the problem I have with it is MY water, not the spa. My water is has an elevated Calcium Hardness and My pH is out of this world. Of course I have only had it since June 05.

I am using the local guy for help now and the water still acts the same. I just visit him in person instead of over the phone.

I have a gulf coast spa and the problem I have with it is MY water, not the spa. My water is has an elevated Calcium Hardness and My pH is out of this world. Of course I have only had it since June 05.

I am using the local guy for help now and the water still acts the same. I just visit him in person instead of over the phone.

Sounds like "no fault warranty" isn't in the Gulf Coast vocabulary. If I were considering the purchase of a Spa whos manufacturer did not include a "no fault" product, I'd have to ask exactly what the parameters on wtaer hardness, PH, and so forth are in order to avoid damage. I wonder if the product specs sheet or user manual defines the acceptable range for measurable water quality attributes, i.e. PH or water hardness?

Anyway, no Gulf Coast for me. I'd rather pay now than later.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a salesperson, just a recent spa buyer (after doing research here and elsewhere). We got a Vita Spa after lots of narrowing down & wet testing. We got it down to the Caldera and a Geneva at Rec Warehouse, but the Vita's lounger fit me the best so that's the one we bought. We love it! Once you've narrowed it down to your top three brands, WET TEST! Seeing how the seats feel when the spa is full will speak volumes more than message board posts.

If you need help with water chemistry I would suggest you take a sample of your spa water to a local pool or spa dealer, most offer free water test. If you have had the spa since June and not drained it yet you probably should do, in this case take a sample of water from the tap you are going to fill the spa up with, and start from scratch. Once you have gotten into a routine with your water chemistry you will start to really enjoy your spa....Guzz

• 3 weeks later...

a few things i have heard in my ongoing research into the same are this;

A. stay away from thermo spa

B. Hot Springs Spa's had a huge problem recently with their heating elements.... i believe I heard the word "recall" in there. There are a few law suits for burnt down decks and such. Hot Springs also makes Caldera. HMMMMM.... makes me leary of Caldera, they are both in my area, too.

C. Coleman is overpriced. Now this is debatable of course... depending on dealer possibly

That's all the dirt I got so far, check the better business bureau before you buy, just a suggestion. Let me know if you hear anymore about Vita Spa, I'm really leaning that way and my local dealer offered me a price I can't beat on the cabaret model..... with 84 very well placed jets, yay buddy thats what i'm talking about

:P

B. Hot Springs Spa's had a huge problem recently with their heating elements.... i believe I heard the word "recall" in there. There are a few law suits for burnt down decks and such. Hot Springs also makes Caldera. HMMMMM.... makes me leary of Caldera, they are both in my area, too.

I do not work for HS and don't particularily care for the brand but, if your research was complete you would know that the handling by Watkins of the heater issue should show any one the commitment to customer service level far above the rest Hot Springs and Watkins maintain. And there handling of the heater issue shows this.

Also wasn't it a few years ago and isn't the problem way past fixed?

A. stay away from thermo spa

C. Coleman is overpriced. Now this is debatable of course... depending on dealer possibly

That's all the dirt I got so far, check the better business bureau before you buy, just a suggestion. Let me know if you hear anymore about Vita Spa, I'm really leaning that way and my local dealer offered me a price I can't beat on the cabaret model..... with 84 very well placed jets, yay buddy thats what i'm talking about

:P

Meandon, what was "recently had a probelm"? Do you have any sources? How long ago? Was there a recall or are you just talking 3rd hand? I have a Watkins tub and have not heard of this and would like to verify this, or identify it as old news. Where did you hear this?

Meandon, what was "recently had a probelm"? Do you have any sources? How long ago? Was there a recall or are you just talking 3rd hand? I have a Watkins tub and have not heard of this and would like to verify this, or identify it as old news. Where did you hear this?

This was true. But as stated Hot Spirngs did take care of this problem. If your at all concerned contact the manfacture. I would assume the serial number is something they will ask for. I believe the bad heaters were from spas built at 2 years ago, but don't quote me on that.

Michael

This was true. But as stated Hot Spirngs did take care of this problem. If your at all concerned contact the manfacture. I would assume the serial number is something they will ask for. I believe the bad heaters were from spas built at 2 years ago, but don't quote me on that.

Michael

The heater issue was not recent, it was in 2001, Watkins took immediate action to rectify the problem. The heater that is in the Watkins spas now is a totally differant system, in fact I beleive that the Titanium heater in their spas is probably the best one available.

The heater issue was not recent, it was in 2001, Watkins took immediate action to rectify the problem. The heater that is in the Watkins spas now is a totally differant system, in fact I beleive that the Titanium heater in their spas is probably the best one available.

I am not a Watkins or Hot Springs advocate in any way. I think you can get more for your money else where. That said they do a great job of taking care of their customers and the heater issue and how they handled proved that. If you like their spa, its a good fit for you than great. For the dollars they charge I like D-1 or Marquis myself but that is just my opinion.