5,000 Bucks?

No, I know exactly the point you are making but I wanted it broke down in spa terms not car versus car terms. Please don't use the word argue...wasn't arguing...its called debating...at the end of the day I dont lay in bed at night feeling bad we had this debate! :)

But as with any other hobby, and yes I consider tubing to be a hobby there are different levels of entry. Knowing nothing about the hobby I feel a 5k purchase is much easier to swallow if things aren't what I expected than to go to a dealer and pay twice that.

My biggest object to overcome was whether I would use it as much as I expected once purchased, what happens if its defective and I cant get my money back from a dealer. As far as being a novice and not knowing the difference between x pump and y pump they really are the same thing to me....so I opted to purchase the least amount for the biggest pay off in terms of what I was getting. (in other words things I can put my hands on)

Exactly why my first 3 tubs were used and when I bought one to play with I bought a less expensive so so model from Great Lakes. And when I go to a D1 or Marquis or Hot Spring dealer, which I do every week for parts or communication or something I look at there 8000 dollar tub and it is way more tub than my 4000 dollar tub. And I bet if you or any of you Cosco cronies went to a D1 dealer and looked at the Nautilis, you would see way more tub than is in your back yard, but for more money that to some is worth it and yet to others as yourselves not worth it.

This thread started out with a guy looking for information on under 5000 dollar tubs. I think in the first post or two he got his answer and has maybe allready solved his problem. Yes there are several under 5000 dollar tubs, and if you don't have a problem being possibly your own service guy and taking care of your own delivery a big box store spa may be for you. But keep your eyes open to the downfalls. And there are also several other brands and models from dealers that you may be happier with and have less hassle because of the dealer. Your choice.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the spa isn't an ipod, hmmmmm really??? There are like zero moving parts on an ipod and you broke it already??? Man you must have like really bad karma or something...does everything you buy break? So, its like....well the ipod is "easy" so I can return it, but the "spa" is tooooooo heavy....toooooo much work....I dont care about that 5k I spent I would just rather complain and not use the "return policy" costco provides and was probably one of the reasons you purchased it yourself.

My karma as nothing to do with the fact that spas are not something you just stuff in your pocket and take back. So you missed the point and revert to a simple ad hominem. I actually bought the iPod at Costco, because Apple iPods are hugely overrated little devices that break very easily. Try to attack the argument and not the person.

Ok, so you joined the forum like 4 days ago and have been in almost every post about hydro spa bumping Arctic.....whats your story? I think you have like 60 post but havent said much in any of them!! Do you plan on buying a spa or are you just here to troll? No, I am not here to tell you anything...I was saying I dont need a video to sell me on a product...especially one put out by a manufacturer to hype their own product. I never watched arctic's video so I couldnt tell you anything....looks can also be deceiving so if you are basing your decision on a video knock yourself out!

So your saying Artic is not being truthful in there video??? I own a tub and i am getting another tub soon. It looks like i hit a nerve in you??? You do make ice cream in Florida and Quess what??? It melts faster because its not insulated :o

The two videos show the differences in Quality verses Price.

"I would take a meter reading before I would believe someone regurgitating someone else's story."

I would also put a lot more weight in someone who has owned a tub for over a year and a half and has been thru 2 winters with his tub and had 19 or 20 electric bills than someone who has a tub for 2 or 3 months and seen maybe one or two power bills.

"I would take a meter reading before I would believe someone regurgitating someone else's story."

I would also put a lot more weight in someone who has owned a tub for over a year and a half and has been thru 2 winters with his tub and had 19 or 20 electric bills than someone who has a tub for 2 or 3 months and seen maybe one or two power bills.

I have had my Crown for four years. When we rapped it with a comforter the electric was not bad at all. This past winter it only got cold for a little while but the electric bill did spike up to around 120 bucks more. we did not put the comforter on this year is the reason.

104 Degrees

And I bet if you or any of you Cosco cronies went to a D1 dealer and looked at the Nautilis, you would see way more tub than is in your back yard, but for more money that to some is worth it and yet to others as yourselves not worth it.

Actually just went to their site and looked at the Nautilis and in my opionion looks rather cheap...but to each his own.

jmendoza17: because Apple iPods are hugely overrated little devices that break very easily. Try to attack the argument and not the person.

I agree, ipods are overrated...own a Samsung myself and find it is better than ipod, but never heard any of my many friends/family that own ipod have a defective one. Wasnt attacking anyone...merly stating an opinion

jmendoza17: There you go again, discounting the posts and information posted by other people as somehow less than your esteemed opinion. For the record, there have been more than a few people --myself included-- who have firsthand direct experience with the high costs of Hydrospa units. I have enough technical understanding of the principles of electricity, basic math and economics to be qualified to call the product an energy hog.

I didnt discount anyones post I am debating it. They say they have higher electric bills but havent done the work required to know if its the spa or not...they are "guessing" and that is not "knowing". Go count all the posters that have had high electric costs associated with this tub and get back to me on it. What is it 3 or 4?

jmendoza17:You may live in a place where juice is 5 cents/kwh and therefore don't see high bills, but where juice is costly, the Hydrospa is definitely a more expensive unit to operate. And for pete's sake learn some netiquette and quit yelling. I can hear the bold type and big red letters before I even walk in my front door.

Isnt that about the same principle as what you spend on gas if you live in a area where its more expensive?? Your bill is going to be more because you are paying more. As far as yelling, please...I change my font color so the next person who reads including myself can keep each posters remarks seperate. Yelling is when your caps are on...NOT IN YOUR FONT COLOR!

"Go count all the posters that have had high electric costs associated with this tub and get back to me on it. What is it 3 or 4?"

I would put that number much higher. In the year and a half I've been on the board I've actually seen too many to count. There have also been multiple posts of people who talked about what they did to add insulation to their hydro tubs. I wonder why they would be adding insulation to a new tub....hmmmmmm maybe because thier electric bills went way up. Why don't you check how many posts on here you can find about people who needed to add insulation to a hot springs or artic tub (or any other higher end new tub) and get back to me. :-)

"Go count all the posters that have had high electric costs associated with this tub and get back to me on it. What is it 3 or 4?"

Why don't you check how many posts on here you can find about people who needed to add insulation to a hot springs or artic tub (or any other higher end new tub) and get back to me. :-)

The Artic Spa looks very good to me. I just found a dealer 50 miles from me. I am going to look at this company tonight and see if there is one i can go see. :D

LOL, you are able to look at their site and tell whether something is made well. That is hilarious. :wacko:

I said "LOOKS" rather cheap...no idea how well its made....listen to my words...dont read into them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looking at these two photos of each tub I think the Legend looks nicer...but thats my opinion.

I would put that number much higher. In the year and a half I've been on the board I've actually seen too many to count. There have also been multiple posts of people who talked about what they did to add insulation to their hydro tubs. I wonder why they would be adding insulation to a new tub....hmmmmmm maybe because thier electric bills went way up. Why don't you check how many posts on here you can find about people who needed to add insulation to a hot springs or artic tub (or any other higher end new tub) and get back to me. :-)

Oh any other post made about hydro spa its the same story....oh that sounds like so and so all over again...seems the only time you want to add the post all up seperately is in regards to energy bills. Please!

I have read most of the post on here about insulation and high energy bills but as in all my post before if you are just guessing its the spa your guess is worthless just as my guess is worthless. I gave a dollar amount on my bill difference...and that also is just guessing. Guessing as in your statement "hmmmmmm maybe because thier electric bills went way up."

So when does the manufacturing plants location have anything to do with how a product is made?

Oh, by the way its spelled Arctic...and its cold there also...but hey...maybe thats where they get their name

Thank you for pointing out the correct spelling. I hope everyone takes note! :)

Yes, the name Arctic Spas was deliberately chosen for the contrast between cold and warm.

You're right, of course; the plant location has nothing directly to do with how the product is made. However, the plant's location--in a cold climate market--clearly dictated the design of the product. Since the initial market was The Frozen North, the focus was on heat retention and energy efficiency as well as comfort and hydrotherapy.

Thanks too for the many mentions of the Arctic videos (though I'm distressed to find that so few of you have actually seen it! :( ). You can order the CD here or you can put a face to my name by watching me in this short promo video .

These videos are marketing tools, not documentaries, so of course they are intended to present our product in its best light. But perhaps you'll find them interesting.

Thank you for pointing out the correct spelling. I hope everyone takes note! :)

Yes, the name Arctic Spas was deliberately chosen for the contrast between cold and warm.

These videos are marketing tools, not documentaries, so of course they are intended to present our product in its best light. But perhaps you'll find them interesting.

Tom Great Video!! It "looks" like you have a Quality made spa for the cold. Do you have to send the spa back to you, or can the dealer come out to the tub to put in the "updates". theres another company that says you can update your tub"once you send it back to the factory" :o

I found a dealer in connecticut and i will call to see if i can afford one :D

Thank you 104 Degrees--- John

LOL, your posts are in a class by themselves.

Why, because they differ with yours? Sorry, not one you can just steam roll in here and tell me how high end your tub is and how low end the one I purchased is, and not expect me to voice my opinion.

It seems to me there are a few on here who join forces to combat the ever growing population of people not willing to spend 10k on a high end tub and go a completely differant route with hydrospa through costco. In my opinion there really isnt much you can say to deflate the hydro spa other than its an energy hog, its not dealer supported, they havent proven themselves but there are people who can directly contradict these post.

Maybe you are just upset because there are people out there who think and know they got just a good of deal as the so called "high end" tubs for a lot less.

Why, because they differ with yours? Sorry, not one you can just steam roll in here and tell me how high end your tub is and how low end the one I purchased is, and not expect me to voice my opinion.

Yeah, that's it. You're the underdog fighting for the common man. LOL. No actually, it's because you listen with your fingers in your ears and shout loudly to drown out others.

You've been immersed in the spa world quite a few days/weeks now so you obviously know you're teh authority on how spas are made/work so there is no use having further discussions.

Yeah, that's it. You're the underdog fighting for the common man. LOL. No actually, it's because you listen with your fingers in your ears and shout loudly to drown out others.

You've been immersed in the spa world quite a few days/weeks now so you obviously know you're teh authority on how spas are made/work so there is no use having further discussions.

So because I dont agree with you its considered "not listening".....please! As far as shouting where would you get that.....hmmmm because my text is in red. How long have you people been using the internet??? SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET IS DONE IN CAPS....not in font color!!!! Sheesh! I even had a moderator ask me to stop using a font color because he said it gave him a headache and made him think I was yelling....omg how silly is that. Stop using a tool available to the forum because it causes headaches.

See that is where you are wrong...I am not immersed in the spa world. I own a spa and thats it...I debate on a forum nothing more. Oh, I dont have a cool spiffy name like spatech to make me seem like I know what I am talking about.....darn, wish I would have thought up some cool spiffy name before I joined the forum.

So because I dont agree with you its considered "not listening".....please! As far as shouting where would you get that.....hmmmm because my text is in red. How long have you people been using the internet??? SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET IS DONE IN CAPS....not in font color!!!! Sheesh! I even had a moderator ask me to stop using a font color because he said it gave him a headache and made him think I was yelling....omg how silly is that. Stop using a tool available to the forum because it causes headaches.

See that is where you are wrong...I am not immersed in the spa world. I own a spa and thats it...I debate on a forum nothing more. Oh, I dont have a cool spiffy name like spatech to make me seem like I know what I am talking about.....darn, wish I would have thought up some cool spiffy name before I joined the forum.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH blah, blah, blah

Yea...it's the same as the high end tub, matter of fact in 15 years it will be just like that D1 I just sold for 1000 dollars. Errr wait we gota wait 12 more years to find out. I wonder. Costco Spa 5000 bucks lasts for 6 years. High end spa 8000 bucks lasts for 15 years. Do the math.

I know, your going to ask me how I know the Costco Hydro unit will only last for 6 years......I don't, but neither do you! Roll the dice, bring it back in 6 years, let us know how that goes, stick around that long. I bought a 4000 dollar tub it is going into 7 years soon, same pump, heater, blower, no major problems. Seems I'm on course to a good value....soon. And it came from the dreaded dealer. Although I did pick it up myself and land it in my garage on it's side for a bit of modification. Voided the warranty the day I bought it. Didn't need it.

I know, your going to ask me how I know the Costco Hydro unit will only last for 6 years......I don't, but neither do you!

If I am not mistaken hasnt hydro spa been around since the mid 70's?? Are none of their spas not still out there in use today? I cant honestly think the answer to that is no and them still be in business today. So basically your arguement is that since it was purchased through costco its lesser value than even their other line of spas they sell themselves?

Childish! You dont need me to make you look bad with post like this....

If I am not mistaken hasnt hydro spa been around since the mid 70's?? Are none of their spas not still out there in use today? I cant honestly think the answer to that is no and them still be in business today. So basically your arguement is that since it was purchased through costco its lesser value than even their other line of spas they sell themselves?

Childish! You dont need me to make you look bad with post like this....

I guess I woulda found that out BEFORE I bought one of there products. I have seen plenty of 2-3 and even 4-5 year old Hydros. But none older.....Have you? Lets ask around. If they sell them for alot less at Costco than there Hydo brand then the answer to that is obvious. There may be some savings in overhead and bulk buying but I bet there is also some in purchasing a bit lessor component for the big Costco buy at the Hydro factory. Components that were made specificly for the run of spas Hydro was making for a particular big box store, which ever one they were selling to and rebranding for, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and on and on. There are several reasons the big box store tubs are cheaper.....and you can bet it's not all overhead and bulk buying. And it's not because they are not making a fair profit like every other tub sellor. It's because they are just not made the same, it's actualy pretty simple. My tub is not made the same as an 8000 dollar tub. I look at mine and several other 3000-5000 dollar tubs every month, I also look at several 7-9 thousand dollar tubs, trust me there is a difference. Do the comparision yourself. Go to your local Dimension One dealer and take a good close look inside and outside of one of there 8000 dollar tubs, keep an open mind and forget the fact that the dealer needs to make a grand or 2 for his roof and his after the sale installation, service and inventory. And take a good close look under the hood. Look at things like how the frame is put together inside the equipment bay, how the wireing is hung, and the plumbing is laying. Look at the shell and the quality of the jet faces. Look at the filter and housing. And the cabinet material. Look at the cover and how it fits and looks. See if it is the same as your 5000 dollar tub. Or maybe it is a couple grand more tub? My dad used to always say "you get what you pay for, now or later"

I guess I woulda found that out BEFORE I bought one of there products. I have seen plenty of 2-3 and even 4-5 year old Hydros. But none older.....Have you? Lets ask around. If they sell them for alot less at Costco than there Hydo brand then the answer to that is obvious. There may be some savings in overhead and bulk buying but I bet there is also some in purchasing a bit lessor component for the big Costco buy at the Hydro factory. Components that were made specificly for the run of spas Hydro was making for a particular big box store, which ever one they were selling to and rebranding for, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and on and on. There are several reasons the big box store tubs are cheaper.....and you can bet it's not all overhead and bulk buying. And it's not because they are not making a fair profit like every other tub sellor. It's because they are just not made the same, it's actualy pretty simple. My tub is not made the same as an 8000 dollar tub. I look at mine and several other 3000-5000 dollar tubs every month, I also look at several 7-9 thousand dollar tubs, trust me there is a difference. Do the comparision yourself. Go to your local Dimension One dealer and take a good close look inside and outside of one of there 8000 dollar tubs, keep an open mind and forget the fact that the dealer needs to make a grand or 2 for his roof and his after the sale installation, service and inventory. And take a good close look under the hood. Look at things like how the frame is put together inside the equipment bay, how the wireing is hung, and the plumbing is laying. Look at the shell and the quality of the jet faces. Look at the filter and housing. And the cabinet material. Look at the cover and how it fits and looks. See if it is the same as your 5000 dollar tub. Or maybe it is a couple grand more tub? My dad used to always say "you get what you pay for, now or later"

Actually it was kinda rhetorical question since their video says they have been around since 1975. No, I personally havent seen a hydro spa unit around and whats even weirder is I haven't ever had someone I know actually on a spa other than a friend about 20 years ago and I couldnt even tell you who made it. The only thing I remember from back then is dont drink a lot of alcohol before jumping in one unless you want your head to swim.

Also I am not so naive to think costco and hydro spa aren't cutting corners to make the tub more affordable at a wholesale warehouse/big box store, but that has nothing to do with the way some on this board would rather come and rain down negative just because its a hydro spa/costco purchase. My tub is better than your tub...it wont be around in 5 years...its going to consume mass amounts of electricity....but this hasnt been my experience, for what its worth. No spa tech here, don't even claim to know half the crap about them....I just want to soak in it, enjoy it and if I need to have it fixed I will deal with that when its time and will be more than happy to come share that experience with the board as well. I have no loyalty to hydro spa or costco and if it gets nasty I will be happy to share. I will also share that I think its a great tub...I plan on taking the panel off this weekend and I will take some pictures of inside and post.