Ew Spa.. Water Is Stinging My Skin.. Help

bluebelle

hi there, I have a new spa and the ph, ta and chlorine is balanced, yet the water is stinging my skin.

It also smells chloriny even though i have shocked it . i get excema, and i don't want sore skin!

I understand that chloramines are what smell, but everything looks balanced test wise, so I must be doing something wrong. My spa holds 1600 litres of water, and i'm using aquafinesse and diclor, 2tps per person after using, plus im awaiting a nature2 stick, and im using mps to shock once a week.

thanks in advance for your replies. bluebelle

please post a full set of test results not done with strips Saying that something is 'balanced' tells us nothing at all. We need numbers and we need good numbers. With the info you have given us so far it is like going to an automobile forum and saying "My car is making a funny noise, what is wrong with it?" without even telling the make and model of the car!

Personally, I would think the Aquafinesse is the problem. If you check the MSDS for their products you will find it contains a lot of caustic chemicals like sodium carbonate and disodium metasilicate.

MPS is a known irritant also.

If you go with the N2 realize that your primary santizer is no longer chlorine but will be MPS catalyzed by silver and hot water and that MPS must be used daily and chloirne is just used weekly or a bit more to removed organic deposits on the ceramic beads that hold the silver nitrate (the source of the silver ions) inside the cartride so they do not become clogged.

I would suggest you start by reading all the hot topics stuck to the top of the hot tub water chemistry section of the forum.

IF you have exczema then you might want to consider using the dichlor/bleach method to sanitize your spa. Bleach baths are used as an exzema treatment so that means that chlorine is least likely to cause you problems while some of these other santizier systems might. Aquafinesse is not a santizer and is, IMHO, a totally unnecessary product. If you maintain your spa properly (hint, get a good test kit like the Taylor K-2006) biofilms are not a problem. If they are you can use a spa purge product when you once or twice a year when you drain and refill.

Waterbear;

I went to the link you provided for water baths. It caught my eye as I have a Grand Daughter with Eczema. It says to use 1/2 a cup for 40 gallons? Does not mention what strength, but is that not excessive? Seems like a bunch..... what do you think? Also, I use the 3 step Bromine system, is this bad for her Eczema, or just not as bad as chlorine? THX

It says to use 1/2 a cup for 40 gallons? Does not mention what strength, but is that not excessive? Seems like a bunch..... what do you think?

Darn Mayo Clinic...they're all quacks!

Certainly don't think they are quacks! LOL, In fact they have helped save more than one friend of mine, nothing but respect for that organization. Just was wondering if that was a typo...... Guess not?

I agree with waterbear you have not given us enough chemical balancing details to give you a good answer. I completely disagree in his assessment that AquaFinesse is causing the problem. Hundreds of people with Eczema tell us that we have given them a solution to their spa bathing with proper use of our products. Many Dermatologists using our product recommed AquaFinesse. Bluebelle please contact us at our posted contact information at our website and we would be glad to help you sort out these issues.