What Is This?

ps0303

Thanks WB. About an hour after posting this I found buried in the weeds the original valve that used to be there. It's packed full of leaves so that's probably why they put this stupid thing in. They one they cut out was newer. Crazy people.

Hayward 2 way valve.

valve/union combo unit??

Hayward Trimline ball valve with union connector at one end (product description). Like I said, valve/union combo unit. (And from the picture, an old one that has seen better days!)

They also make one with unions at both ends and also three way valves, True Union valves, but they are not commonly used in residential pool applications.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to replacing this valve. This is an older pool and valve feeds the pool returns and it appears that several of the returns are on the bottom of the pool. Now if I cut this valve out won't the pressure of the water force water out of the two pipes that this valve is connected to? So how do I go about replacing this valve and gluing a new one in place without water gushing out? Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking.

If you think that the valve that you are replacing is below the water level in the pool, then you need to get some plugs and plug (all) the return lines. And possibly the suction side too. Drain the spa with the filter pump, then plug, or put a stand pipe in the skimmer before you cut anything.