Substitute Chemicals For The Arctic Line.

klt1200

I need some advice in purchasing new chemicals. I just purchased an Arctic Frontier Legend Extreme and I am running out of the initial chemicals. I DO NOT want to give my Arctic dealer any more business so I am looking for a substitute that will be comparable to the Arctic line. I am also of the thought that a chemical is a chemical is a chemical no matter if you purchase it from the discount pool store, Lowes or a dealership.

I will be posting my purchasing experience "How a dealer can ruin a great Spa" but my wife and I are considering further action.

I DO NOT want to give my Arctic dealer any more business so I am looking for a substitute that will be comparable to the Arctic line.... I will be posting my purchasing experience "How a dealer can ruin a great Spa" but my wife and I are considering further action.

When a dealer leaves an impression like this, we are naturally concerned. What can I do to help?

Will send you list of chemicals for a starter and more, by PM.

Tom

I need some advice in purchasing new chemicals. I just purchased an Arctic Frontier Legend Extreme and I am running out of the initial chemicals. I DO NOT want to give my Arctic dealer any more business so I am looking for a substitute that will be comparable to the Arctic line. I am also of the thought that a chemical is a chemical is a chemical no matter if you purchase it from the discount pool store, Lowes or a dealership.

I will be posting my purchasing experience "How a dealer can ruin a great Spa" but my wife and I are considering further action.

You are correct in assuming a chemical is a chemical is a chemical. If you woud of told us what you were using (dichlor,bromine, spa up, spa down) we could make some recomendations. There are several online sources, I like RH Tubs dot com.

Tom can help you with your dealer.

You are correct in assuming a chemical is a chemical is a chemical. If you woud of told us what you were using (dichlor,bromine, spa up, spa down) we could make some recomendations. There are several online sources, I like RH Tubs dot com.

Tom can help you with your dealer.

I was going with the traditional Bromine then found several good posts about ecoONE on here. Natural enzymes with small amount of bromine, longer life of water, less bounce in chemicals and easy maintenance. Turns out that the start-up kit that came w/ my spa is the same thing, just marketed under a different name. Check out some of the post.. key in "ecoone"

I will be curious to read about your sales experience. I fortunately had a very good one with my Arctic dealer (Arctic of Libertyville, IL) and have had no complaints to date with them. In fact, I have personally replaced 14 jets in order to "re-design" it to my liking. The dealer provided them free of charge (on an exchange basis) and I now have a spa which IMO is greatly improved and provides considerably more jet effect in almost all of the seats!

In terms of chemical, I was also suspicious of what Arctic would charge me, but I quickly found out that they appear to sell them at very reasonable prices when I priced them against a neighborhood Coleman dealer who sells Leisure Time products. For example, 6.6 lbs of Arctic Refresh (a non-chlorine shocking product) costs $25 vs 5lbs of the comparable LT Renew at $43! Wow, now that's a nice savings plus I know I am getting a chemical which the mfg puts it's full endorsement into.

I will be curious to read about your sales experience. I fortunately had a very good one with my Arctic dealer (Arctic of Libertyville, IL) and have had no complaints to date with them. In fact, I have personally replaced 14 jets in order to "re-design" it to my liking. The dealer provided them free of charge (on an exchange basis) and I now have a spa which IMO is greatly improved and provides considerably more jet effect in almost all of the seats!

In terms of chemical, I was also suspicious of what Arctic would charge me, but I quickly found out that they appear to sell them at very reasonable prices when I priced them against a neighborhood Coleman dealer who sells Leisure Time products. For example, 6.6 lbs of Arctic Refresh (a non-chlorine shocking product) costs $25 vs 5lbs of the comparable LT Renew at $43! Wow, now that's a nice savings plus I know I am getting a chemical which the mfg puts it's full endorsement into.

Non chlorine shocking product? Peroxy-mono-persulphate?<-----spelling MPS for short. 25 bucks for 6.6 lb's is fair.

For example, 6.6 lbs of Arctic Refresh (a non-chlorine shocking product) costs $25 vs 5lbs of the comparable LT Renew at $43! Wow, now that's a nice savings plus I know I am getting a chemical which the mfg puts it's full endorsement into.

The non chlorine shock is potassium monopersulfate. It was developed and pateneted by DuPont under the trade name of Oxone and they still sell it under that name for pool and spa use (and hudreds of other uses such as denture cleaners, ectching printed circuit boards, shrinkproofing wool and many others)

The majority of MPS is still manufactured by DuPont and repackaged by all these other companies. I would shop for price! MPS is MPS. You can even find it at Home Depot, Walmart and other stores like that. I have even seen it at Ace Hardware under a store brand name of pool and spa supplies.

Thanks Roger and water for your responses. The description of Arctic's Refresh is very generic. It simply states on the label that it "oxidizes contaminants" and is non-chlorine. "Refresh is designed to destroy foreign contaminates which reduce the effectiveness of Bromine and Chlorine as a disinfectant". Along with the Peak Ozone system, I only use 1 ounce per person per soak! Twice a week I add a 1/2 ounce of chlorine. My water thus far has been very clean and never has any smell of chlorine.

Thanks Roger and water for your responses. The description of Arctic's Refresh is very generic. It simply states on the label that it "oxidizes contaminants" and is non-chlorine. "Refresh is designed to destroy foreign contaminates which reduce the effectiveness of Bromine and Chlorine as a disinfectant". Along with the Peak Ozone system, I only use 1 ounce per person per soak! Twice a week I add a 1/2 ounce of chlorine. My water thus far has been very clean and never has any smell of chlorine.

With that Ozone Wes and a N2 stick (mineral purifier) I would think you could reduce your Chlorine even a bit more And also reduce your MPS usage. MPS usage IMO adds alot to your TDS (total dissolved solids) because of the quantitys used (2 OZ per soak for 2 people) Skip the MPS per soak and add 2 tsp of chlorine per soak and then shock with the MPS once a week or bi-weekly. You will be using less or about the same chlorine and alot less MPS. Just some ideas for you to play with, if what your doing is working there is no need to change it, but experimenting to reduce TDS and MPS/Chlorine additions is never a bad thing as long as your water stays clean!! :D

The non chlorine shock is potassium monopersulfate. It was developed and pateneted by DuPont under the trade name of Oxone and they still sell it under that name for pool and spa use (and hudreds of other uses such as denture cleaners, ectching printed circuit boards, shrinkproofing wool and many others)

The majority of MPS is still manufactured by DuPont and repackaged by all these other companies. I would shop for price! MPS is MPS. You can even find it at Home Depot, Walmart and other stores like that. I have even seen it at Ace Hardware under a store brand name of pool and spa supplies.

MPS may be MPS, but LeisureTime Renew is buffered MPS to make it pH neutral and they charge a premium for that along with the fact that you need to use twice the product to get the same result. I use a very inexpensive off brand MPS.

I don't put much weight in the manufacturer endorsing its own product, but I do in supporting your local dealer.

• 14 years later...

I would be interested to hear about your purchase experience as well.

Satisfaction guaranteed for my dealer means you can pay thousands of dollars to have the product that was delivered to you with damage removed.

We paid almost double our initial budget to get a high end product with an automated system and everything and the tub was delivered with a fault in the shell, the online system has never worked properly; the hot tub has shut down numerous times due to overheating when the temp read a reasonable temperature, the lid was damaged so air was escaping constantly and debris even got inside - which may be why it was overheating in the winter (something the dealer tried to claim was an illogical line of thinking to make up for buyer's remorse).  And the latest, a metal bar became dislodged and ended piercing my foot when I got in it.  Absolute nightmare of an experience!

They keep offering to have someone attend to repair the unit.  I didn't pay upwards of $20k for something that has needed repair from the moment they unwrapped it.  How is this supposed to satisfy me?

I just want them to take this garbage back and return my money so I can spend it on something I have confidence in.