Just Curious - What Does "48 Frame" Pump Mean?

Richs100

I see that some tubs say that they have a "48 frame" pump. What does that mean? Are some pumps 48 frame and others not? Its confusing, because some tubs hype this while others don't mention it at all.

Thanks, Rich

The larger pumps are 56 frame. They are bigger in diameter, and have a different mounting system for the pump.

Both size motors have about the same efficiency - look up amp ratings for the same Horsepower motors in both types - and both work very well in a spa. There are "energy efficient" versions of both of these motors.

I would not make a buying decision on this point.

B)

Thanks, Chas.

Some people seem to make a big deal about the difference between the 48 and the 56, so I was curious.

Are all pumps in most modern hot tubs one or the other?

Rich, it's not the size of the pump that makes a tub feel good. There are several factors involved and plumbing is just one of them. A great big 5-6 HP motor installed on the wrong pump and plumbed incorrectly may or may not be a good "feel" for you, but someone else may think it's the bomb. A small 1.5-2 HP motor with the pump sized correctly an the plumbing done right may have more and better jet feel, but you still may or may not like the "feel" it's very personal. And no one can tell you what is right for you, no one.

Thanks, Chas.

Some people seem to make a big deal about the difference between the 48 and the 56, so I was curious.

Are all pumps in most modern hot tubs one or the other?

Yup. One or the other.

B)

Thanks Chas and Roger.

And I guess that just reinforces the suggestion to Wet Test, Wet Test, Wet Test.

56 Frame is all we use, because we want the longevity.

Larger frame about 1 inch in diameter. Weighs on average about 12 LB more.

Larger longer lasting bearings, runs longer. More metal, more cooling.

Runs cooler doing the same work, so it lasts longer.

Basically a 48 frame is much cheaper, and is used to cut costs to manufacture.

Many companies use 'uprating" on 48 frame pumps and they run way hotter than a

56 frame moving the same water.

I do not recommend a 48 frame on anything above 1.5 HP.

56 Frame is all we use, because we want the longevity.

Larger frame about 1 inch in diameter. Weighs on average about 12 LB more.

Larger longer lasting bearings, runs longer. More metal, more cooling.

Runs cooler doing the same work, so it lasts longer.

Basically a 48 frame is much cheaper, and is used to cut costs to manufacture.

Many companies use 'uprating" on 48 frame pumps and they run way hotter than a

56 frame moving the same water.

I do not recommend a 48 frame on anything above 1.5 HP.

http://www.soundclick.com/havenhead

I just clicked on that url/soundlink...it sounds to me like someone is trying to tune their guitar....and can't seem to ever get it quite right. Does he or anyone else NOT on drugs consider that music? Freakin scary!

I just clicked on that url/soundlink...it sounds to me like someone is trying to tune their guitar....and can't seem to ever get it quite right. Does he or anyone else NOT on drugs consider that music? Freakin scary!

I though someone was killin a cat!!

I just clicked on that url/soundlink... Does he or anyone else...consider that music?

"Chaqun à son goût" (To each his taste). Let's leave it at that, please.

To get away from taste in music and get back on topic, I found this:

www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/commercial/pdfs/small_motors_tsd.pdf

It's quite technical but looks interesting (okay, it looks interesting to me, anyway) and I wish I had time to read it! A quick skim shows that there are many factors besides frame size that determine the efficiency and power of a pump motor.

Rich's question has already been answered (simply put, the frame size is a measure of the diameter of the motor, but the frame size in and of itself is not necessarily a significant factor in spa performance).