Marquis-Beachcomber-Arcticspas-H2O Decision

Bill1970

but the question to it is the software, how does that work with the Iphone or internet, phone jacks to house???? just curious, if you have an iphone whats sending the signal via interent or phone....

There is no phone cord. It sends signals via wifi, and Bluetooth technology. It really is a good technological advancement for the hot tub industry.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I cannot imagine checking temp or turning on lights from inside the house or playing the phone music library on the tub sound system but there may be some who would. Similarly, I cannot imagine having the dealer monitor my tub while I am out of town or checking on it myself while away, but maybe there is someone who might.

It sounds like something wouldnt use often, but if I were able to occasioanlly log in and ramp up temp from economy mode, or simply check on the tub( and subsequent power supply feeding tub and cabin) after a big snow storm, that would save me a lot of time and grief considering my cabin is over an hour away.

I too wonder what the replacement cost would be. When SHopping for tubs, the Arctic dealer int own showed me this new option, but said that he would be including it on new tub purchases to start out with, so I never got to see what it would 'cost.' To me, it seems like any other non essential option ( lights, stero, etc)...fine and cool during the time period it works and during warranty, but not really likely to replace it once it breaks after the fact.

The cost to replace the wifi on the pack or the bluetooth on the pack would be very minimal. Obviously every dealer has their own margins and cost but, I would estimate it between 150 to 200 dollars to replace after warranty. As far as the circ pump goes, I think Arctic now puts them on so the competition has one less thing to combat us with. I still dont think they do all that much, (the water flow they create is very minimal) but that arguement really doesnt matter anymore since we have them.

The wifi/bluetooth technology is different than any other brand supplies to this day, they actually have a app available on the Apples app store now for download. As far as turning lights on from the house, with Arctics new perimeter lighting that is attached to the cabinet of the spa its convenient to be able to turn the lights on before heading out to the spa for some extra light. These are things that some people wont care about, but some do, and Ive had several that have bought 2011 spas for these accessories already.

just my .02 cents

It is good that the problem component can be replaced without having to swap out a whole controller.

The customer can also decide not to purchase the bluetooth/wifi at the time of purchase but can easily upgrade at a later date. It just plugs right into the board. Plus the boards now have a "USB" port so any software updates can be done easily with a memory stick. I'm sure that most manufacturers have this option but its nice to have it on the Arctics now too.

Some don't mind an occassional aggressive dealer on here. But most appreciate it when the dealers use some restraint, otherwise this forum would degenerate into just a series of sales pitches in every thread.

But it is very helpful when we can have a Q&A about the products from different manufacturers. The new feature from Arctic that allows "remote control and monitoring from any smartphone. This enables control from inside the house to check temp, turn lights on, and play music from your phones library to the hot tub sound system. New software revisions in 2011 will allow you or a service tech to monitor and troubleshoot the hot tub from anywhere via the internet. This helps if you are away or its very cold and troubleshooting is needed immediately." is intriguing. Personally I cannot imagine checking temp or turning on lights from inside the house or playing the phone music library on the tub sound system but there may be some who would. Similarly, I cannot imagine having the dealer monitor my tub while I am out of town or checking on it myself while away, but maybe there is someone who might. I guess, what I am thinking is that this feature will add complexity to the tub and control system and I just really like to try to keep things simple. And I know that sometimes, over time a control will fail and need to be replaced. So my question is:

If the controler which has this smart phone / remote monitioring feature fails, can I purchase a replacement from anyone but Arctic? What would be Arctic's price to replace the controller if it failed?

Good question! There are 3 pieces of hardware that could potentially fail on the wireless control/music system.

1. Bluetooth Receiver: retail cost approx $150 (covered free under warranty for 1 year or 3 years depending on which sound system purchased - this device is for music streaming only, not used for spa control or monitoring)

2. Wifi transceiver: retail cost approx $150 (covered for 5 years under warranty)

3. Secondary Processor board: retail cost approx $150 (covered for 5 years under warranty)

hey Waterboy, i forgot you told me that before, thanks for the reminder,,,

hottubguy its great your on here, but how do really know that they will go the longest, compared to other thermal chamber spas like Clearwater, Thermospas, Master, to name just a few, has there been independent testing of that,,,, and if i was against full foam spas like D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, to name a few,, i am not trying to say one is better than the other i think your fact is a little off, like Pathfinder said what other spas lines have you dealt with, in the field, or in the showroom, ok the remote is a good idea, but again someone has to monitor it, so does the system automatically send a email to the dealer when their is a problem going on...on the aftermarket sales, with our thermal chamber spas i sell we can do the same thing , but not very often do we do that actually i have never added on anything ...sorry i sell both insulations as well as a spa with Roxul, so i do know how long each can go before issues, since i sell them and service them....

I guess I dont know - for sure. But I helped with some testing we did here in our cold room. After 4 days at -8 Celsius the water temp only dropped 14 degrees, from 40 C. I dont know the final result. I have also worked repairing hot tubs and have seen Arctics last over a week at -20 Celsius without any equipment or plumbing freezing.

Also, it is interesting that Arctic is now providing tubs wth circ pumps when, for so many years, they did not. I was never clear on the reasons they were not available with circ pumps, but they must have had their reasons. Is Arctic using a new special kind of circ pump that somehow overcomes their reluctance to use them in the past or are these just typical circ pumps?

Thanks

Good point. The new circulation pump is only a secondary filtration pump. If it fails the hot tub still has filtration via low speed on the primary pump. Both are controllable up to 24 hours, although that amount of filtration is usually unnecessary.

Also, it is interesting that Arctic is now providing tubs wth circ pumps when, for so many years, they did not. I was never clear on the reasons they were not available with circ pumps, but they must have had their reasons. Is Arctic using a new special kind of circ pump that somehow overcomes their reluctance to use them in the past or are these just typical circ pumps?

Thanks

Good point. The new circulation pump is only a secondary filtration pump. If it fails the hot tub still has filtration via low speed on the primary pump. Both are controllable up to 24 hours, although that amount of filtration is usually unnecessary.

Someone asked this earlier but I didn't see an answer but you'll know being on the retail end, what is the charge for this new upgrade mentioned of adding a circ pump to an Arctic.

but the question to it is the software, how does that work with the Iphone or internet, phone jacks to house???? just curious, if you have an iphone whats sending the signal via interent or phone....

It works like this:

1. The app is installed on a phone or device such as an ipod. The app is very easy to use, and free. (Apple, Android or Blackberry)

2. The hot tub is controlled (using the app) via Wifi. (wifi transceiver in tub)

3. Music is transmitted to tub via Bluetooth. (Bluetooth receiver in tub)

4. Control and monitoring via any internet connection is done using the home Wifi network. (The tub Wifi connects to the home Wifi)

Hope that helps answer your question.

Thanks

Someone asked this earlier but I didn't see an answer but you'll know being on the retail end, what is the charge for this new upgrade mentioned of adding a circ pump to an Arctic.

I used to be in retail, now I work at the factory. But anyway, the circ pump is a component of one of the ozone options. Its called Peak II. The MSRP is $1200 for that complete ozone system.

Note, if you want 24 hour filtration and you don't have this system the standard filtration pump can be set for any period up to 24 hours. Totally unnecessary, but its up to the owner.

Ok.. well i couldnt get down to barrie to see the brands and models i wanted, wife had last minute business meeting.... so we both booked off friday to spend the day. A lot of good info on the thread now. Didn't realize that the durango was NOT an arctic spa.... the remote idea is ok, not a deal breaker though. My wife is most anxious to see the D1 bay collection. I havent seen too many negative comments on Sundance or D1 or Marquis. Seen some negative reviews by a few people close to my area telling me how much the lines around the tub sagged and eventually putting too much stress on glue joints that they let go..... but they were not newer arctic models. If you guys had to put these companies in order of quality first.... how would you place them in order. D1,H2O,Sndance,Arctic,Beachcomber spas will be an hour away. Marquis only 20 mins. But do not want to count out others because of distance.... So i am thinking the fewer repair calls the better and will need to know travel costs from the brands in advance as they all seem to charge an amount of some type. So if repairs covered under warranty would be great unless multiple calls are needed. Quality will be more important than price for that reason. Thank you all for the info on the thread.

PS: got my wife interested enough to up budget range to $9000 to $16000 Not that we have to use that much, but its there if we need it.

So i am thinking the fewer repair calls the better and will need to know travel costs from the brands in advance as they all seem to charge an amount of some type. So if repairs covered under warranty would be great unless multiple calls are needed. Quality will be more important than price for that reason. Thank you all for the info on the thread.

Bingo, while they're all reputable spa brands you're considering you should ask for (and get in writing) what travel fees you may incur for repairs. I assume you understand that even under warranty you can be charged a trip fee, better to know up front than later and with some of your choices being an hour away it is quite likely to be the case.

Ok.. well i couldnt get down to barrie to see the brands and models i wanted, wife had last minute business meeting.... so we both booked off friday to spend the day. A lot of good info on the thread now. Didn't realize that the durango was NOT an arctic spa.... the remote idea is ok, not a deal breaker though. My wife is most anxious to see the D1 bay collection. I havent seen too many negative comments on Sundance or D1 or Marquis. Seen some negative reviews by a few people close to my area telling me how much the lines around the tub sagged and eventually putting too much stress on glue joints that they let go..... but they were not newer arctic models. If you guys had to put these companies in order of quality first.... how would you place them in order. D1,H2O,Sndance,Arctic,Beachcomber spas will be an hour away. Marquis only 20 mins. But do not want to count out others because of distance.... So i am thinking the fewer repair calls the better and will need to know travel costs from the brands in advance as they all seem to charge an amount of some type. So if repairs covered under warranty would be great unless multiple calls are needed. Quality will be more important than price for that reason. Thank you all for the info on the thread.

PS: got my wife interested enough to up budget range to $9000 to $16000 Not that we have to use that much, but its there if we need it.

My personal favorite of those you mentioned, all quality brands. Dimension one Nautilis. Can be had for less than your budget. After that I like Marquis, then Beach then Arctic then Sundance. Don't know anything about H2O not sold in my area. I'm guessing they fit in there somewhere but not first. I'm stuck on that Nautilis. Simple, open seating, solid, powerfull, quiet, and backed by a manufacturer that stands behind their product dealer or not.

bill1970,

all good brands, D1,Sundance, H2o, Marquis,Beachcomber, Artic, again all really close brands , so very close on these...I know Roger is not familiar with H2o i am....,But again check out all the dealers , see also who your comfortable with dealing...but as Roger said the Nautilus is a great tub and very comparable with anyone elses hi end, the Bay series in a category of their own...

Ok... good long day of hot tub shopping....... So we have it narrowed down to 4 models in total, with an obvious front runner, followed by two models in equal running and a distant 4th that really is an off shoot. #1 D1 amore from bay collection. Wow, quite the tub. #2+3 D1 Nautilus and Sundance Optima. #4 Marquis Signature SE Euphoria. Wasnt impressed with the price and salesman at Arctic Spas..... Didn't see anything we liked at Beachcomber at all. And again, like i said, the Amore is pretty much the front runner by a bit of a margin. The Jets in the Optima were impressive though..... they seem to be very hydrotheraputic driven. Any negative comments on D1 tubs manufacturer wise? or specificly the Amore? also, on D1... comments for those that know the tubs...... differences or opinions on the regular shell Vs the Ultralife? ultralife not as rigid, much more pliable but.... definitely not even to as close to slippery as the regular shell. Ok, so not a 100% yes sold on the Amore..... but its pretty darn close. Looking for any feedback on the Amore if anyone has any....... Thanks again for everyones input. It is appreciated.

Thanks

I used to be in retail, now I work at the factory. But anyway, the circ pump is a component of one of the ozone options. Its called Peak II. The MSRP is $1200 for that complete ozone system.

Note, if you want 24 hour filtration and you don't have this system the standard filtration pump can be set for any period up to 24 hours. Totally unnecessary, but its up to the owner.

Well Arctic brought back the peak system did they, didn’t work too well in the past hopefully things have improved for this system.

This is NOT a filtration pump as a filtration pump has to be going through the filter to be classified as a filter pump. It’s a cir. pump to work with the peak system.

Even though I think cir. pumps for heating and filtering are a crock. The cir. pumps the little laings ones I will use as a reference for my bashing material. Lets look at these wonderful fantastic little Laing pumps.

Pros:

-use little electricity to operate. That’s it for pros!

Cons :

-Very easy to get clogged. You have a bad scale build up or anything small and it can clog that impellor and causing a flo issue and no heat.

-Filter gets dirty, slightly dirty restricts the flow to the cir. pump another flo issue and no heat

-Pushing out about 8-12GPM. Compared to a regular jet pump being used as a filter/heat/jet pump, pushing out appx. 30-40GPM. So let’s do a little experiment. Laing pump pushing out 12GPM and jet pump pushing out 30GPM. (GPM standing for, gallons per minute).

Laing Pump

12GPM X 60mins=720 GPH (gallons per hour)

720GPH X 24hrs. =17,280 GPD (gallons per day)

Jet Pump

30GPM X 60mins= 1800 GPH

1800GPH X 24hrs. =43,200 GPD

Which is a difference of 25,920 GPD

25,920GPD divided by 1800GPH =14.4 hrs.

24hrs.-14.4hrs.= 9.6hrs.

So in conclusion a jet pump only has to run 9.6hrs. to circulate the same amount of water a Laing cir. pump has to circulate in 24hrs!

Now given that a liang cir. pump only uses .5amps which is great and most jet pumps are sitting around 4amps, which is a big difference, but what if there was a way to have that same amount of volume of water being pushed but with the same or very close to the amount of electricity being used by the cir. pump system?

Well folks there is! Coast Spas uses a 5hp pump using only 1amp on low speed and pushing out 30GPM.

This is not to try and steer Bill1970 towards a Coast Spas but, to put an end to this cir. pump system being the best system for hot tubs since slice bread. Now people are still going to go off about cir. pumps are must and the best thing out there. But look at the pros and cons for this system. If anyone else has any other pros for having this cir. pump on there hot tub please let me know, because it seems silly to have a system like this with more cons than pros.

And If you say its always make sure the water is filtered and clean, that’s not good enough because the 5hp only has to run 9.6hrs. to filter the same amount of water than the cir. pump has to in 24hrs!

Speaking of filtration lets look at the negative pressure vs. the positive pressure (or filter on suction side vs. filter on discharged side) to decide and help us make an education decision towards cir. pumps and none cir. pumps.

So almost every hot tub out there has there filters on the intake of the pump sucking the dirty water into the filter. Great! sounds like a good method to clean the water, now what happens to those hot tubs out there without the cir. pump and the filter pump turns off, well all that dirty water floats right back up into your main body of water making your filter system have to filter it again. Or what about when you take out your dirty filter and all the dirt drips back into your main body of water.

Well what if the filtration system was off in its own container so that when the pump turns off the dirty water stays where you want it, in the filter.

Now when I go and use a public hot tub in a rec. center or in a hotel. Do you ever notice filters around you in the main body of water with you? No you don’t because it is against health codes for the filter media to be in the main body of water. So the government stats that it’s against health code to have to filter in the main body of water with you. Now if there was only a hot tub out there that made their filtration system to the government standards of health code for commercial use but for a residential hot tub to make life easy on the maintenance side of owning a hot tub…wait there is once again a Coast Spas offers this style of filtration system making their hot tubs up to CSA standards.

More or less just beating up on the cir. pump systems here. I am sure I will get plenty of responses back into why cir. pumps are better, but please please let me know because its not showing as a very good system anymore, just an old outdated system.

God it feels good to vent on the cir. systems!!

Ok... good long day of hot tub shopping....... So we have it narrowed down to 4 models in total, with an obvious front runner, followed by two models in equal running and a distant 4th that really is an off shoot. #1 D1 amore from bay collection. Wow, quite the tub. #2+3 D1 Nautilus and Sundance Optima. #4 Marquis Signature SE Euphoria. Wasnt impressed with the price and salesman at Arctic Spas..... Didn't see anything we liked at Beachcomber at all. And again, like i said, the Amore is pretty much the front runner by a bit of a margin. The Jets in the Optima were impressive though..... they seem to be very hydrotheraputic driven. Any negative comments on D1 tubs manufacturer wise? or specificly the Amore? also, on D1... comments for those that know the tubs...... differences or opinions on the regular shell Vs the Ultralife? ultralife not as rigid, much more pliable but.... definitely not even to as close to slippery as the regular shell. Ok, so not a 100% yes sold on the Amore..... but its pretty darn close. Looking for any feedback on the Amore if anyone has any....... Thanks again for everyones input. It is appreciated.

When looking to buy a hot tub, where you are buying it from is of most important. You need this customer support big time when owning a hot tub. If they don't give you good service for maintenance or repairs of your hot tub, whats going to happens when its minus 30 out in Ontario and it takes them 3-4 days to get out there? Make sure sure this is a very reputable company your are buying from. Because keep this in mind that you having a D1 spa the majority of parts your only going to be able to get from the D1 dealer like your cir. board and topside for sure., which is something your going to come across with most dealers.

So once again make sure your dealer is not just good but great because life is going to be easier for you.

Just a suggestion if you get a chance check out a Coast Spa dealer in your area, see if its something there that catches your eye.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Thanks for the added info..... just a couple of quick questions though. I thought the jet pumps.... the ones i spoke to concerning this type of filtration, the pumps only run for a few hours? marquis i think was one of the longer units where it could be set to 2 3hour running periods for a total of 6 hours filtration, mind you it also ran a short cycle directly after use of the tub. But most ran significantly shorter cycles, lasting only 2 to 4 hours which i am not too sure about..... and ideally they would have to run for me in off peak hours so time adjustment would be key and the Marquis is one company that only had minor adjustment. When shopping i did tell every spa dealer i would be getting the service charge and wait times put in writing and D1, Sundance were the two that had no problem doing that. Arctic spas would not (they even admitted to having service problems) and marquis could not due to same. I will inquire even more upon the final visit for purchase of which ever company. the Sundance warehouse is down in toronto.... but D1 said they get important parts OVernighted to them all the time. Again, will get that in verification and writing, but they gave a very good laid back vibe at D1 and Sundance..... but marquis was big pressure, even more so than arctic and arctic..... my wife wanted out of the store much more quickly than i did. I will take a quick look to Coast spas.... as i also found yesterday a pool spa shop that carried cal spas but had none available as they were just completing there renoovations and this week will be pulling out there tubs from storage. Myabe there is a coast spa somewhere around..... but an hour is the most we are willing to do. My wife is in love with the Amore, but i will talk to her to still keep an open mind for the next week. Any more info please do keep it coming... and also feedback about my earlier post about the D1 would be great too. I know this.... when searching online, the amore has been out for about 4 years in total i think, atleast 3.... and no one has had any complaints about the circ pumps on their units, nor of any of their other longer standing models which i have come across. Not saying that the circ pumps are more efficient, or clean or filter better, but i have read no complaints about the circ pumps on the units i have on my list which have circ pumps. The D1 dealer also mentioned she would give me a contact list of some buyers who will gladly share their insights on the tubs they sold..... i thought that was pretty good as they were the only one who offered that. Ok thanks aain.

Bill

Thanks for the added info..... just a couple of quick questions though. I thought the jet pumps.... the ones i spoke to concerning this type of filtration, the pumps only run for a few hours? marquis i think was one of the longer units where it could be set to 2 3hour running periods for a total of 6 hours filtration, mind you it also ran a short cycle directly after use of the tub. But most ran significantly shorter cycles, lasting only 2 to 4 hours which i am not too sure about..... and ideally they would have to run for me in off peak hours so time adjustment would be key and the Marquis is one company that only had minor adjustment. When shopping i did tell every spa dealer i would be getting the service charge and wait times put in writing and D1, Sundance were the two that had no problem doing that. Arctic spas would not (they even admitted to having service problems) and marquis could not due to same. I will inquire even more upon the final visit for purchase of which ever company. the Sundance warehouse is down in toronto.... but D1 said they get important parts OVernighted to them all the time. Again, will get that in verification and writing, but they gave a very good laid back vibe at D1 and Sundance..... but marquis was big pressure, even more so than arctic and arctic..... my wife wanted out of the store much more quickly than i did. I will take a quick look to Coast spas.... as i also found yesterday a pool spa shop that carried cal spas but had none available as they were just completing there renoovations and this week will be pulling out there tubs from storage. Myabe there is a coast spa somewhere around..... but an hour is the most we are willing to do. My wife is in love with the Amore, but i will talk to her to still keep an open mind for the next week. Any more info please do keep it coming... and also feedback about my earlier post about the D1 would be great too. I know this.... when searching online, the amore has been out for about 4 years in total i think, atleast 3.... and no one has had any complaints about the circ pumps on their units, nor of any of their other longer standing models which i have come across. Not saying that the circ pumps are more efficient, or clean or filter better, but i have read no complaints about the circ pumps on the units i have on my list which have circ pumps. The D1 dealer also mentioned she would give me a contact list of some buyers who will gladly share their insights on the tubs they sold..... i thought that was pretty good as they were the only one who offered that. Ok thanks aain.

Bill

Hey Bill,

The tubs using the bigger pumps as there heat/filtration/jet pump usually only run anywhere from 2-8hrs. This is going to depend on customer usage, how much are you using it a week and how many people. But you can have these bigger jet pumps run 24hrs. if you want but it not needed.

That was just to show in comparison the cir. pump to a jet pump for heat/filtration/jet pump. Cir. pump systems do work I'm just saying is there something better out there? yes. (my opinion) With a cir. pump just think of it as an extra pump as it only does heat/filtration and bigger pumps do heat/filtration and jets. So if your tub has say 30 jets a cir. pump system has a cir. pump and a jet pump. (two pumps). Whereas another without the cir. pump system would just a have the jet pump, just one pump. Some times less is more and cheaper and less to break down.

The D1 dealer sounds like there a pretty good dealer offering a contact list for reference that’s pretty good. Take them up on their offer just try and make sure its random customers not stacked in their favor. Dealer support is a big must when purchasing a hot tub.

Also another note Cal Spas and Coast Spas are not the same. Big tip for you Bill don't waste your time with Cal Spas, this is just my opinion and I think quite a few people on this forum will agree.

With the bigger jet pump system you should have the ability to set your filtration for what time of day each filtration cycle will come on and how long each flirtation cycle runs for. So if you want it to come on at 7am and run till 10am and then come on at 10pm and run till 1am you should be able to do that. Higher end spa paks give you that ability (Gecko and Balboa). On their lower end spa paks you would only be able to set them on 12 hr intervals. Meaning you set the filtration for 4hrs. The time of day you came out and programmed the filtration is when its going to start and then run for 4hrs. and then 8hrs. later kick back on and run for 4hrs.(ie. You come out and physical set the filtration for 4hrs. say at 10 am. So from 10am till 2pm the tub will filter and then it will kick back on at 10pm and run till 2am).

Your salesman should know this answer for your in regards to your filtration cycle setting and how to set it. Get him to show you on a floor model.

Ok, i do understand what you mean. The mirage looks like a great tub too.... will have to wait until they get back to us about our closest dealer. My wife still leaning towards the amore, but would consider looking at the Mirage providing there is a dealer close enough that wont charge a service fee to warranty work. I have to admit though, they need a lot of work on their website... not the best by far. Very vague on allot of information on features etc....

Ok, i do understand what you mean. The mirage looks like a great tub too.... will have to wait until they get back to us about our closest dealer. My wife still leaning towards the amore, but would consider looking at the Mirage providing there is a dealer close enough that wont charge a service fee to warranty work. I have to admit though, they need a lot of work on their website... not the best by far. Very vague on allot of information on features etc....

Yeah I do agree they do need some work on the website to make it more user friendly. But the way a coast spas works is you find the model(mold) you like and build it up to how you want it with all the options lights, ozone, jet package, stereo, cabinet etc. You even have options on how the tub is insulated.

But yeah see how close a dealer is to you and if they do charge a trip charge for warranty calls. Also find out there how well the dealer support is.

Well folks there is! Coast Spas uses a 5hp pump using only 1amp on low speed and pushing out 30GPM.

Gotta love you Coast Folk & your 5hp pumps. A real full rated 5hp motor for pools & spas is about 2.5 times the size & weighs about 3 times as much than whats in a coast.

Gotta love you Coast Folk & your 5hp pumps. A real full rated 5hp motor for pools & spas is about 2.5 times the size & weighs about 3 times as much than whats in a coast.

The 5hp true rating is a 4.4hp pump.Like the 4hp waterway exec. thats used on most only being true rating of a 2.5hp pump. Everyone rates there pumps from the pumps and not soo much from the motor. Its a 5hp impellor thats in the wetend and on a 5hp waterway exec. its a 5hp impellor and its using 4.6amps on low. So its more about the low amp draw on low speed rather than the hp rating.