High Hydro Bill For My New Arctic Spa

[quote name=spatech (the unreal one)' date='03 March 2011 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1299168786'

Someone long ago assumed he was Robert from Colorado who sells Marquis and has never been a big fan of Arctic. I never beleived it was him simply because Robert isn't one to create an alternate ID to make his points, he wasn't someone to shy from saying what he thought. Though his opinion may be similar to Robert's I think you need to consider that maybe this is someone else.

Prove me wrong spa god. Tell us where you are located and what you sell and prove me wrong and I will eat crow! :unsure:

FWIW, his internet address is Canadian. Last time I checked Colorado was in the US.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like I need to investigate this. Planning on driving there this week end and check out the meter with various appliances switched off/on and see what might be causing the issue.

The delivery cost in the Area is quite quite high. Inclduing all cost and delivery the rate is about 20C plus 13% tax and some fixed fee.

Anyone closer to Parry Sound, ON who might be able service this spa (Arctic) if I needed, pl post a conatct.

Thanks all again.

George

waterboy, i have a question for you. why is Arctic introducing a 24/7 low amp circ pump, i keep seeing and hearing they are the best the way they are...

on another note we all have our favs. as long as we give facts that can back up our each individaul claims then no problem, its the guys on here that go to far with claims they cannot back up, I think Arctic is a good brand just like the D1, Sundance , Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, MArquis, Clearwater,,,, but some of the tactics are way off, if i remember we see a lot of guys(not waterboy) that show spout their b.s then you respond then they disapear...thats the problem i have.....

waterboy, i have a question for you. why is Arctic introducing a 24/7 low amp circ pump, i keep seeing and hearing they are the best the way they are...

on another note we all have our favs. as long as we give facts that can back up our each individaul claims then no problem, its the guys on here that go to far with claims they cannot back up, I think Arctic is a good brand just like the D1, Sundance , Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, MArquis, Clearwater,,,, but some of the tactics are way off, if i remember we see a lot of guys(not waterboy) that show spout their b.s then you respond then they disapear...thats the problem i have.....

Well, I will quote it from the site, but I feel bad for these original posters. Some of these have gotten way off topic from their original questions. But, I guess since Roger brought up circ pumps, it somewhat applies. See below:

Now We’re Getting Serious About Ozone

The Peak 2 Purification system offers all the same benefits of the Peak 1 purification system but with a few additional features. We’ve added a circulation pump to the system for more efficient production and control of ozone production from 1-24 hours. We’ve also doubled the volume of the mixing chamber. Better mixing and longer contact time is guaranteed to improve results. Peak 2 also adds a secondary filtration system allowing 1-24 adjustments of filtration and ozonation. The circulation pump enables two functions – to provide passive filtration up to 24 hour per day, and to allow the flexibility of changing the run time of the circulation pump. Changing the run time allows the user to precisely manage power consumption to match local grid rates, or usage patterns.

http://www.arcticspas.com/our-products/our-hot-tubs/arctic-spas/arctic-spa-options/peak-ii-ozone/

Ya !!! started changing all my bulbs from 40 & 60 W to the more energy ones , next is unplug the beer fridge !

"Also, correct me if I am wrong, but 1.29 x 30.41 days =$39.2289 "......you are correct on the direct energy costs @ .064 cents which we all know is low , plus add in all the other charges on your bill and that spa is costing $ 65 - $ 75 per month to run.....and you have hardly used it!!

The arctics don't cost that much. sorry, nice try bro!

Ummmmm here is some real stats for you bro. Here in Northern Minnesota Arctic is available in the MPLS/STpaul area. A buddy brought his with him up here when he move and I was hired to move it and help him set it up. Can't remember the model but it was 7.5x7.5 average tub. He loved it and it seemed solid when we moved it. Down there he paid up to 80 bucks in our winters at .09 per KWH REAL STUFF. So claim what you will. His average was right around 30-40 per month just like several other brands. No magic sorry.

Well, I will quote it from the site, but I feel bad for these original posters. Some of these have gotten way off topic from their original questions. But, I guess since Roger brought up circ pumps, it somewhat applies. See below:

Now We’re Getting Serious About Ozone

The Peak 2 Purification system offers all the same benefits of the Peak 1 purification system but with a few additional features. We’ve added a circulation pump to the system for more efficient production and control of ozone production from 1-24 hours. We’ve also doubled the volume of the mixing chamber. Better mixing and longer contact time is guaranteed to improve results. Peak 2 also adds a secondary filtration system allowing 1-24 adjustments of filtration and ozonation. The circulation pump enables two functions – to provide passive filtration up to 24 hour per day, and to allow the flexibility of changing the run time of the circulation pump. Changing the run time allows the user to precisely manage power consumption to match local grid rates, or usage patterns.

http://www.arcticspas.com/our-products/our-hot-tubs/arctic-spas/arctic-spa-options/peak-ii-ozone/

Spill the beans on the pump for me (make, model, usage watts) I may change my opinion of Arctic......did I just say that? No really they may score higher in my book if they figure out how to use a low watt motor for circulation/filtration/ozone versus the big power consuming jet pump. Although.....they may have to rethink the heating water with the waste heat thingy!!.....LOL

I think the insulation package is close without the waste heat spin anyway!! I have my own ideas about how to improve what they have. But I'm just a plumber!!

Ya !!! started changing all my bulbs from 40 & 60 W to the more energy ones , next is unplug the beer fridge !

"Also, correct me if I am wrong, but 1.29 x 30.41 days =$39.2289 "......you are correct on the direct energy costs @ .064 cents which we all know is low , plus add in all the other charges on your bill and that spa is costing $ 65 - $ 75 per month to run.....and you have hardly used it!!

The arctics don't cost that much. sorry, nice try bro!

Ummmmm here is some real stats for you bro. Here in Northern Minnesota Arctic is available in the MPLS/STpaul area. A buddy brought his with him up here when he move and I was hired to move it and help him set it up. Can't remember the model but it was 7.5x7.5 average tub. He loved it and it seemed solid when we moved it. Down there he paid up to 80 bucks in our winters at .09 per KWH REAL STUFF. So claim what you will. His average was right around 30-40 per month just like several other brands. No magic sorry.

arctic doesnt make a 7.5 by 7.5 bro

Roger,

I think you are on to something here, Your right how would they be able to claim waste heat of the jet pumps,,and i noticed that in the heading "Now were getting serious about ozone" so by going to this system does it mean the other way at running the main pump every 12 hours for 2 ( were you can bump that up) was not the right system???? D1 has used the Ozone for years , also using both the 24/7 circ pump system on the higher end and and option on the @ home series to differentiate, so i don't understand why if Arctic is a big believer in the pump system being the best. Why the change? it makes you question that does n't it....

Since no one answered my question about how long to heat a Arctic Spa from 40 to 104 , I have researched it myself and the numbers apply to any spa with a 5.5 Kw heater. In Ontario in Dec the average time was 16.75 Hrs with is 3.82 degrees per hour.

This would draw 6.556 kilowatts x 16.75 hrs = 109.813 kilowatts x .09 ( Average of time of use prices ) = $ 9.883

plus Delivery , Regulatory Charges , Debt Retirement , HST ( which in total averages about 100 % of your actual energy consumption )

This tub would cost $ 9.883 x 2 = $ 19.766 to heat up initially.

So , $ 30 to $ 40 a month is unrealistic.......

Since no one answered my question about how long to heat a Arctic Spa from 40 to 104 , I have researched it myself and the numbers apply to any spa with a 5.5 Kw heater. In Ontario in Dec the average time was 16.75 Hrs with is 3.82 degrees per hour.

This would draw 6.556 kilowatts x 16.75 hrs = 109.813 kilowatts x .09 ( Average of time of use prices ) = $ 9.883

plus Delivery , Regulatory Charges , Debt Retirement , HST ( which in total averages about 100 % of your actual energy consumption )

This tub would cost $ 9.883 x 2 = $ 19.766 to heat up initially.

So , $ 30 to $ 40 a month is unrealistic.......

Most people don't drain and refill their spas monthly. Sure, the bill will be a little higher in the winter months when you drain and refill it, but you can say that with any spa. Also, I have never seen a Arctic Spa take 16 hrs to heat the water with the cover on while it was heating. When we deliver the spas in the winter, we usually deliver them in the morning. The spa is usually running by 10-11am. All of our customers use the spa that night. So I know it doesn't take 16 hrs to heat them up, even with the water at 40 degrees.

Like I said , this was directed at spas in general with 5.5 kw Heaters.

I would like to know if a Arctic Spa is ready at 10-11 AM..What time did you start it at ?

I think you misunderstood me. The spa is usually turned on after filling it between 10-11 in the morning, meaning it starts heating then. But, they are using the spa that night, usually between 8-10 pm. And it is usually ready to go before that. We just delivered a Arctic Tundra last Thursday. That spa holds around 500 gallons and the spa didn't get turned on until about 11:30 am. The customer came in Friday morning to pay his remaining balance, and he said that his family used the spa that night. They don't take 16 hrs to heat.

No , I understood you . Twelve hrs to heat 500 gals up from 40 - 104 degrees at 5.3 degrees per hour is awesome especially with a 5.5 kw heater . ;)

I was just giving the initial cost to heat and remember that I wasn't stating it was a Arctic Spa , just a normal tub with 5.5 Kw Heater

No , I understood you . Twelve hrs to heat 500 gals up from 40 - 104 degrees at 5.3 degrees per hour is awesome especially with a 5.5 kw heater . ;)

I was just giving the initial cost to heat and remember that I wasn't stating it was a Arctic Spa , just a normal tub with 5.5 Kw Heater

Since no one answered my question about how long to heat a Arctic Spa from 40 to 104 , I have researched it myself and the numbers apply to any spa with a 5.5 Kw heater

I know what you were saying, but you also said that it takes 16.75 hours to heat up ANY spa with a 5.5 kw heater, and that inst accurate with a Arctic Spa. It was less than 12 hours too. Closer to 9-9.5 hours to be exact on the last delivery. ;)

"In Ontario in Dec the average time was 16.75 Hrs with is 3.82 degrees per hour "

Sorry WATER BOY....I did say Average....and we all know that Arctic isn't an average Spa !

I know you said that poolman, and I am not trying to nitpick or make you mad, so sorry if I am. I just was stating what I knew first hand. And you are right about Arctic. They are above average imo! ;)"

I bought new Arctic Spa - Model Midnight Sun - installed on 1st Dec 10. The Hydro consumption since jumped 3 times plus. The Spa has not been in use at all, since it is in a cottage. Bill for three months to Jan 2011 was $1,557 as compared to $500 for the same period last year. I have have sent a question to the dealer but no response yet.

Wondering what is causing this. The place is Parry Sound, ON, where the temperature at night have fallen upto -16C or 3F. Is there any setting I or the installers have missed? I have kept the Temp to 98F (37C). Can this be moved down?

Any help is appreciated.

George

I hope I read through all the responses closely enough and have only one thing to add to all the responses which is....I sure hope the spa cover is on the spa and that it is properly seated on top of the spa shell. As one of the "numbers" guy said, you could run up numbers that high by running the heater 24/7, and in your climate without the spa cover fitting properly, I could see your spa trying to keep your cottage nice and warm. Just a thought.