Can Someone Recommend Some "cold Weather" Spas

Eddie Haskell

Don't get too sucked in by the insulation argument it is mostly spin... the arctic perimeter heat lock is good, so is any full foam system or even a good partial foam. Once you have a 4"-5" layer you are going to run reasonably well. All the independent test results which no one will show you back this up...

The nightmare is those bubble pack blanket wraps or the foam filled skirts where you have 1" or less of insulation...

Make sure you have a good cover 5" taper is nice...

I have a couple more questions; is the standard insulating method still foam sprayed over the entire shell including the plumbing and is there a substantial difference (in cost) heating an 8 person vs a 6 person tub?

There should be little difference in energy usage between 6 person and an 8 person spa. As far as brands to look at with energy usage in mid, my personal short list would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance which all spray foam within the entire cavity.

All the independent test results which no one will show you back this up...

Why would no one be willing to share "independent test results" that would back up any claims made.

Oh yeah, there aren't any :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, but there's plenty of "sponsored" independent testing....LOLOLOL

Is that a real question?

It's obvious why no one would show them... Arctic would never show them because then they could not spin that beautiful marketing web around the revolutionary "perimeter heat lock system" and beachcomber and the likes could not spin their marketing around that beautiful full foam system... Its so much better to talk in loose terms about how much better they are :wacko:

We did a real basic run a decade and change ago... measured power consumption on unused units, running and time drop measurements powered down... in an unheated warehouse, not too sophisticated but enough to see that it all meant nothing on all the decent insulation systems especially compared to 20 minutes with the covers off :o

What do you mean by mid-priced - what is your target budget?

You can't go wrong with the brands that spatech named and you could add Marquis and Beachcomer to that list, in my opinion.

As for cold weather tubbing - you gotta love it. We are having a rare (for Seattle) cold snap with snow. Last night may wife and I hit the tub after work with a bottle of wine and watched the snow fall. We were in the tub for a little over an hour and headed in, only to be replaced by my teen aged daughters who stayed in for over an hour as well (no wine as far as I know).

Spawn, I hear you on the weather over here in Spokane we got nailed last night with the blizzard,man did it blow and drift the snow, and it got cold really cold, just like spatech listed on his list, and also nothing like cold weather tubing when it is snowing.... i will be in my own tub. a D1 Spawn, i heard they have shut things down over therre

Oh yeah Spa Guy, Seattle is definitely shut down. My girls had no school today and their school is closed tomorrow. My wife walked in to work and my office is at home so I was on the job too. Its only a couple of inches of snow but it gets packed down and becomes a sheet of ice and with the black ice too it can get a little dicey, especially when you add the Seattle hills. I grew up in the midwest and drove in deeper snow all the time but this stuff is different. Gotta head out to the airport about midnight and pick up my son who is flying back from school in LA for Thanksgiving - at least there shouldn't be too many traffic obstacles in play by that time. I'll be in the tub before then - also a D1. As cold as it is here it is nothing compared to what you get over in Spokane.

mid priced is somewhere around $6,000. My wife is the big spa person, she likes to have the temp at 104 and that's way too hot for me, she doesn't want to compromise on temp which means we're not going to spend 10-12 K :). I've heard of a few of the brands recommended but several I hadn't. We were thinking 6-8 person but may go with a 4 person to cut costs, it does have to have a lounge chair. Can anybody suggest a tub in my price range? Maybe I should phrase it differently, you have made suggestions, which tub would you buy based on my search criteria.

mid priced is somewhere around $6,000. My wife is the big spa person, she likes to have the temp at 104 and that's way too hot for me, she doesn't want to compromise on temp which means we're not going to spend 10-12 K :). I've heard of a few of the brands recommended but several I hadn't. We were thinking 6-8 person but may go with a 4 person to cut costs, it does have to have a lounge chair. Can anybody suggest a tub in my price range? Maybe I should phrase it differently, you have made suggestions, which tub would you buy based on my search criteria.

If you get a cheaply made spa you'll spend more money on energy monthly and it won't last as long so stick with a quality made spa and all the quality brands mentioned have spas in the $6k range.

Eddie - I'll through out some observations and thoughts that may be on or off target.

Few spas will comfortably handle 6 - 8 people and it is especially hard to find one with a lounge. Many spa shoppers see the lounges and are seduced by the idea, but the fact is, each lounge fits a limited population. If it fits you well, it will not likley fit your wife well. Many who buy tubs with loungers do not do so when they buy theri next tub. However, there are people who have them and love them and would not have a tub without them. Just want you to know that most experienced spa users tend to buy non-lounge tubs. If you insist on a lounge and want to seat 6 people your options will be limited - more so with the $6K budget.

For your budget, you might try the jacuzzi j-200 series, such as the J-280 w/o lounge or the J-270 with lounge. D1's reflection series is probably out of your price range for a tub that size but their @home line might work - see the wayfarer and dream with lounges or sojourn without. My D1 Arena was is in the reflections series and was $6k but I don't think it is what you are looking for although we love ours - great hydrotherapy, lots of room and simple & cheap to operate. The Sundance 680 series might be in your budget - the hartford is nice w/o lounge, hawthorne & burlington w/ lounge. I know that watkins, which makes hot springs has the more economical tiger river, hot spot and limelight lines but I don't know them as well but they have good reputations too. Same with Marquis and their everyday line. Any of these would be suitable for cold weater.

FYI, the advertised number of people any given tub holds, e.g., 6-8 person tub, refers to the MAXIMUM number of people the manufacturer recommends. That number also assumes the persons occupying the tub are "average" size...not super-size. The highest number can usually only be achieved when some of the occupants are small children. In reality, the typical 6-8 person tub will hold 4 adults comfortably. Once you start getting more than 4 people in the tub, you'll start bumping asses and elbows, which may be an effect you may or may not want. :D

Happy shopping!

gman B)

2009 Sundance Optima

Gman is spot on, in fact on some of the flashy heavily sculpted models you are lucky to get four in! look for good footwell size, that is the real determining factor of how many people you can get in unless you have friends with no legs!

And forget buying on visual preference of the interior... once you fill them with water you cant see any of the cool lines and molded seating, they all look the same except for the lip and skirt!!! and remember you are floating (about 1/10th you body weight) so the comfort you got sitting in the dry model is gimmick too, If you want room and comfort in a water environment, keep it clean and simple, barrier free seating, open wide seats and big footwells will win out every time for function and usability, And you will only see the nice molded seats when it is empty and you are cleaning it out!

And for "cold weather" just make sure its got lots of insulation and not a cheap piece of foil covered bubble pack wrapped around the frame!

Looking for a new Hot Tub, the Arctic's are nice but the prices are crazy in my opinion, looking for a mid-priced (6-person) tub that has some good insulating qualities and has a decent reputation. Not sure what brands other than Arctic are considered "cold weather" spas, any help on other brands to look at would be great! TIA

I'm an Arctic owner, and quite happy with it, and yes, it cost me extra bucks -- but a few Gs over a 10-12-15 year investment is not all that much money.

There are other 'winter spas' as well, I suggest you do your homework on them -- there are other brands besides Arctic.

The one thing to remember - a "6 person spa" -- as others have stated, it may be a bit too "cozy" if you have six in there.

BUT -- how often will you have SIX adults in there? I have a six-seater, and it seats four comfortably. While the idea of parties, etc., comes up, it's going to be a rare occasion where you have six in there, and if so, people will just have to wait their turn.