Dogs ?

HS Vanguard

I am a new spa owner and loving it. I have an adorable 2 year old Vizsla pup that is begging to join me in the spa ? I'm just sure it's a bad idea but it would be fun. Anyone let their dogs in ? :rolleyes:

I would not, the hair and germs from dogs would not be good, plus for the other side, the chemicals, since most spas are kept at higher sanitizer levels than pools, may not be good for the dog. That being said, I have friends that have pit bulls that use thier spa all the time. They have to super shock it, clean filters frequentley and have to drain the tub every 6 weeks.

I am a new spa owner and loving it. I have an adorable 2 year old Vizsla pup that is begging to join me in the spa ? I'm just sure it's a bad idea but it would be fun. Anyone let their dogs in ? :rolleyes:

I would not, the hair and germs from dogs would not be good, plus for the other side, the chemicals, since most spas are kept at higher sanitizer levels than pools, may not be good for the dog. That being said, I have friends that have pit bulls that use thier spa all the time. They have to super shock it, clean filters frequentley and have to drain the tub every 6 weeks.

I have a pool customer who's kids have moved out and the only reason they open there pool is so their dog can use it lol...must be nice to have enough money to run a pool for an entire season just so your dog can cool off

Don't do it. Our little guy cries too but the vet almost called the "dog abuse hotline" when I asked him. (not really but he was aghast that we would even consider it). He said no for a number of reasons all dog related as opposed to clogged filters etc. The temperature is too hot for them to handle, the skin gets dried out, the chemicals are too harsh, and the jets can push a little one off balance. In extreme cases shock can occur.

Our Lab goes in ours from time to time. My biggest concern was his nails scrathing the acrylic, but that hasn't happened. There should not be enough chemicals in your water to hurt a dog if a person has nothing to worry about. A well taken care of dog has no more germs then a person.

Obviously cleaning the filters and draining of water may be in order, but no harm will come to you, your tub or Fido.

Good Luck!

I'm not a veterinarian, but I do know that dogs generally do not tolerate heat as well, nor does their body cool as efficiently, as homo sapiens. I would not think the high water temperatures would be good for the dog, even for short periods of time. My inexpert guess is that it takes longer to cool the dog's body temperature down than it does to raise it. Using the fact that dogs go swimming in pool water is an inappropriate rationalization to justify a dog's use of a hot tub (IMHO). Water temperatures in pools are not nearly as hot as those in a hot tub.

gman

Wow, surprisingly I actually have the same breed of dog (don't run into that often) and while they are super dogs they have far too much hair to go in a spa (not that I'd ever let one of my 3 dogs in a spa but particulaly not her).

I'm not a veterinarian, but I do know that dogs generally do not tolerate heat as well, nor does their body cool as efficiently, as homo sapiens. I would not think the high water temperatures would be good for the dog, even for short periods of time. My inexpert guess is that it takes longer to cool the dog's body temperature down than it does to raise it. Using the fact that dogs go swimming in pool water is an inappropriate rationalization to justify a dog's use of a hot tub (IMHO). Water temperatures in pools are not nearly as hot as those in a hot tub.

gman

Exactly!!!!

remember, dogs don't sweat like humans do to cool off. They pant! The high temps in the tub would be very dangerous for them! (Hot tubs are also dangerous for small children for the same reason. They cannot tolerate the heat!)

gman

Exactly!!!!

remember, dogs don't sweat like humans do to cool off. They pant! The high temps in the tub would be very dangerous for them! (Hot tubs are also dangerous for small children for the same reason. They cannot tolerate the heat!)

Dogs also do have many more germs than humans, we dont roll and dig in the dirt, lap ourselves and most of us take baths daily. Its just overall not a good idea . How about a kiddie pool, the plastic ones set up next to the spa. no chemicals, cooler water and you can dump it out

UH, I am a dog lover, but what good can come from your dog in the spa? If you can not take a 10 minute spa without man's best friend, there may be bigger issues at hand. Do you bathe with your dog? I assume he eats off your plate, and knows how to use a knife and fork, while sitting upright, otherwise, HE IS A DOG!