Time For A Replacement Cover- Suggestions?

Vermonter

Hello all!

It's time for a replacement spa cover; I had been strongly considering a SpaCap, until I read some of the reviews here and elsewhere. Which leaves me with the question: what's the alternative? Are there any brands that come strongly recommended? Others to avoid? I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but a search for "replacement cover" surprisingly returned very little useful info, so I figured I'd ask again. If you can just point me to a link where this has been hashed out already, that would be great, too... thanks in advance...

Tony

Hello all!

It's time for a replacement spa cover; I had been strongly considering a SpaCap, until I read some of the reviews here and elsewhere. Which leaves me with the question: what's the alternative? Are there any brands that come strongly recommended? Others to avoid? I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but a search for "replacement cover" surprisingly returned very little useful info, so I figured I'd ask again. If you can just point me to a link where this has been hashed out already, that would be great, too... thanks in advance...

Tony

I would buy one of Docs covers at RHTUBS dot com.

Well, I am glad I cancelled my Spacap order! I ordered one yesterday, on the advice of a friend, and then (belatedly, I admit) decided to come on here and see what others have to say. Not so good. So, I called back immediately (within 20 minutes) of getting off the phone with the woman, and they didn't answer- so I left a message saying "Please cancel my order, I'm looking into some other options."

So she calls back today, and leaves a rude message saying she's cancelled my order. Then she calls back again to say "It's already gone into production, and your card has been charged." It takes 3 weeks to make this thing, but in less than 12 hours it has gone into production? B.S.!

So I called her back to tell her as much, and it is obvious I've called her bluff- I tell her I'm putting a stop on the payment, and she just says "Allright."

Bad business people! I can't say anything for the quality of the product, but instead of calling back and trying to ease my mind and selling me on the product, she just makes it real easy by being deceitful and down right rude. Perfect.

Anyway, sorry about that rant, thanks for the advice on the covers, I will look into all three- anyone else want to 2nd or 3rd these motions? :)

I would buy one of Docs covers at RHTUBS dot com.

On checking, this brand of cover looks identical to the one that's on my Coast tub, it's a 3 part cover. If it is then I would highly recommend this brand.

You can't go by how it looks when it comes to covers. You can have 3 covers that look very similar when new yet one can be very good over time, another one can be ok and the third one a piece of crap that lasts about 18 months.

Well, I am glad I cancelled my Spacap order!

Bad business people! I can't say anything for the quality of the product, but instead of calling back and trying to ease my mind and selling me on the product, she just makes it real easy by being deceitful and down right rude. Perfect.

Anyway, sorry about that rant, thanks for the advice on the covers, I will look into all three- anyone else want to 2nd or 3rd these motions? :)

Boy does that sound familiar when you read reviews about them.

Earlier this year a friend called and needed me to cover for him at his store the next day last minute. He told me a guy was coming back to look at a spa and he's written up a quote so he left me the folder for him. I looked the next day and saw a price reduction due to him not getting a cover. On the phone my buddy said he was getting something called a spa cap which I knew about.

When the guy came in I had saved a couple links to the bad reviews plus the "F" rating on the BBB. He was stunned and sat and read through it but before he left he had decided that the science was true and the reviews were BS and he was going with them anyway. I was stunned that anyone would buy that POS with all the complaints and that F from the BBB.

That F rating tells me they treat customer product complaints the same way they treat people who want to cancel an order made an hour earlier.

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/spas-and-hot-tubs-supplies-and-parts/spacapcom-in-lynden-wa-13025291

Ordering replacement covers can be tricky. Some OEMs make a very good covers, many don't. Same with after market covers and you can't tell from a picture either. Stick with the OEM cover if it was good or go with doc's (I've actually never seen one of his that I know of but others have ordered one so you at least have some feedback).

Well, I am glad I cancelled my Spacap order!

Boy does that sound familiar when you read reviews about them.

Earlier this year a friend called and needed me to cover for him at his store the next day last minute. He told me a guy was coming back to look at a spa and he's written up a quote so he left me the folder for him. I looked the next day and saw a price reduction due to him not getting a cover. On the phone my buddy said he was getting something called a spa cap which I knew about.

When the guy came in I had saved a couple links to the bad reviews plus the "F" rating on the BBB. He was stunned and sat and read through it but before he left he had decided that the science was true and the reviews were BS and he was going with them anyway. I was stunned that anyone would buy that POS with all the complaints and that F from the BBB.

That F rating tells me they treat customer product complaints the same way they treat people who want to cancel an order made an hour earlier.

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/spas-and-hot-tubs-supplies-and-parts/spacapcom-in-lynden-wa-13025291

Ordering replacement covers can be tricky. Some OEMs make a very good covers, many don't. Same with after market covers and you can't tell from a picture either. Stick with the OEM cover if it was good or go with doc's (I've actually never seen one of his that I know of but others have ordered one so you at least have some feedback).

Thanks... Hopefully they aren't going to make an issue out of it, but if they do, at least I have MasterCard on my side. :)

Seeing as my spa is a (*cough*)gulfcoastspa, I don't think the OEM is even an option, since they went out of business. That, and it lasted about 3 years- I'd love one that's going to get me through, I dunno, 5- suggestions?

As for my competitors, I think RHTubs and Hot Tub Works sell very nice covers and are good companies to deal with. No need to name names on the less than stellar guys, but those firms are actual companies that are in business with employees, etc. Spa Depot is a solid company as well.

As for my competitors, I think RHTubs and Hot Tub Works sell very nice covers and are good companies to deal with. No need to name names on the less than stellar guys, but those firms are actual companies that are in business with employees, etc. Spa Depot is a solid company as well.

Thanks. Very noble of you to name your competitors. Much appreciated! :)

Tony

Hello all!

Tony

I purchase my first Roberts cover 6 years ago for a customer. I had the ability to let my customer test it for me based on the positive online reviews. The second one I bought was for my own tub 5 years ago. Since then I have bought or helped buy 4-5 others and all have been steller. The 5 year old one on my old tub is still in great shape. The 6 year old one I can't say, I have not talked to that customer but would be willing to if you need.

Hello all!

Tony

I purchase my first Roberts cover 6 years ago for a customer. I had the ability to let my customer test it for me based on the positive online reviews. The second one I bought was for my own tub 5 years ago. Since then I have bought or helped buy 4-5 others and all have been steller. The 5 year old one on my old tub is still in great shape. The 6 year old one I can't say, I have not talked to that customer but would be willing to if you need.

That would be rhtubs.com?

You can't go by how it looks when it comes to covers. You can have 3 covers that look very similar when new yet one can be very good over time, another one can be ok and the third one a piece of crap that lasts about 18 months.

You are probably right. Though I have seen a few different covers on different tub brands and they don't look like mine does and thus don't look like the RHTUBS brand. I suppose that there will be close similarities between high quality covers regardless of brand.

We have seen a few of RH tubs covers up here in the cold snowy north east, and they are holding up very well. I would go that route. i think you will see a difference in his quality to your OEM cover.

As my handle states, I have a Hotsprings 2001 Grandee and the cover that came with it was still new looking a month ago as the day I bought it. Unfortunately I recently found that a bored 2 year old black labrador and a spa cover didn`t mix too well last month. Now I have a dilemma. No matter what cover I get now, I can`t be here 24/7 to make sure the same thing doesn`t repeat itself. Any kevlar covers on the market? LOL

As my handle states, I have a Hotsprings 2001 Grandee and the cover that came with it was still new looking a month ago as the day I bought it. Unfortunately I recently found that a bored 2 year old black labrador and a spa cover didn`t mix too well last month. Now I have a dilemma. No matter what cover I get now, I can`t be here 24/7 to make sure the same thing doesn`t repeat itself. Any kevlar covers on the market? LOL

I have a remedy that worked very well to prevent my dog from chewing things it shouldn't. You may have already heard of this...it's called "Bitter Apple". You spray it on the item your dog likes to chew. It's not guaranteed to work on all dogs, but it worked phenomenally with my dog, who liked to chew baseboard. A one-time spray on the baseboard and she was done gnawing. You might try it on your next spa cover. I'd spray it on and then introduce your dog to the new spa cover to see his/her reaction. You may find that this might do the trick. You should be able to find Bitter Apple in most pet stores.

Good luck with your new spa cover.

gman

I have a remedy that worked very well to prevent my dog from chewing things it shouldn't. You may have already heard of this...it's called "Bitter Apple". You spray it on the item your dog likes to chew. It's not guaranteed to work on all dogs, but it worked phenomenally with my dog, who liked to chew baseboard. A one-time spray on the baseboard and she was done gnawing. You might try it on your next spa cover. I'd spray it on and then introduce your dog to the new spa cover to see his/her reaction. You may find that this might do the trick. You should be able to find Bitter Apple in most pet stores.

Good luck with your new spa cover.

gman

I'd get some and spray it on the old cover first and see if the dog stops before get rid of that cover so I know I have a plan in place that might work before I bring on the new cover.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my new cover from Spa Depot yesterday (it was to be delivered next Monday but I didn't want to wait and the freight office is close by), I ordered it on 11-14 and it was shipped on 11-19 and at the freight office on the 24th. The cover looks great fits good and I believe is better than the oem from Coleman. I did do the upgrade to the super insulated 5"-3" and 2lb core due to our 115lb Rottweiller deciding he likes to sun himself on the cover, also got the full length thermal seal.

Hello all!

Tony

How does one actually know when to replace a cover? Mine is just over two years old and has slowly gotten heavier ... I assume the foam inside is taking up moisture. The vinyl material on the inside is also sagging. Other than that the outside looks fine. But it is getting awfully hard to lift it back onto the tub.

"How does one actually know when to replace a cover? Mine is just over two years old and has slowly gotten heavier ... I assume the foam inside is taking up moisture. The vinyl material on the inside is also sagging. Other than that the outside looks fine. But it is getting awfully hard to lift it back onto the tub."

It's time! It's heavy because as you suspect, it's holding water. When that happens, it has lost most of it's insulating properties. A good spa cover will have a well sealed, heavy (thick), vapor barrier on the underside. The actual vapor barrier is usually covered with some sort of material to prevent damage to the barrier.

???

The "vapor barrier" is inside the cover, sourrounding the foam, on all sides. Bottom, top, edges. While the thickness does matter, it's just as important as to how it's sealed.

Your right. I was simply trying to relate the most vulnerable spot. The bulk of the moisture a cover soaks up comes from the underside of it. At least that's my understanding. If the bulk of the moisture the foam absorbes comes from the sides or the top, that's news to me.