Aquapure 1400 - Repair Or Update/replace

My AquaPure 1400 is 5 years old. I have been trouble shooting a 170 error code and narrowed it to the front board or the flow sensor. These two parts are $250 and $150 (approx), respectively. As I review posts on this site I am beginning to wonder if it's worth repairing today's problem or getting an entirely new system. If the cell goes bad or another problem with a board pops up, the part by part cost will exceed a new system, not to mention the fun and excitement of installing the parts.

What is the typical lifespan of a Jandy cell? If putting $1000 into the system now means I can get all new boards, a new cell and sensor (and hopefully another 3 to 5 years of relatively trouble free use from it), maybe it's better to get a completely new system. Thoughts?

Great site, great forums. Really helpful. Thanks to whomever runs this.

5 years is what i tell customers. That is an average.

Other factors include:

the percent of output that the unit runs, the salt level in the pool, and how many hours per day it runs.

Example: The guy that runs his pump > 10 hours a day at 100 percent and is right at the low end of salinity (not low enough to trip the low salt light, just at the low end of acceptable salinity, won't get the life that the other guy that runs the pump for 6 hours at 20% with a salinity of 3.5 .

Does that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

5 years is what i tell customers. That is an average.

Other factors include:

the percent of output that the unit runs, the salt level in the pool, and how many hours per day it runs.

Example: The guy that runs his pump > 10 hours a day at 100 percent and is right at the low end of salinity (not low enough to trip the low salt light, just at the low end of acceptable salinity, won't get the life that the other guy that runs the pump for 6 hours at 20% with a salinity of 3.5 .

Does that make sense?

Makes total sense. Thank you. Mine runs in a large spa. Not all day and I'm decent at keeping the water balanced, etc. I replaced the flow sensor and everything is fine for now. $150 total repair bill and super easy to replace. The cost for a whole new system was over $1,000, but worse yet, they don't make my cell anymore so I would have to upgrade to the latest. Jandy didn't make it the same length as the current cell, so I would have to re-plumb almost everything. Not worth it. Even if I get just another year or so out of this, I'll be happy.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. It was helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting error code 170 on my Jandy Aqua pure 1400 salt system.

Measured the test points on the back board and 2 measurements are

slightly off and 1 measurement is way off.

Points 1 to 8; should be 75 VAC actual 80 VAC

Points 2 to 7; should be 65 VAC measured 70 VAC

Points 3 to 4 ok is 21 VAC as specified

Points 4 to 5; should be 120 mV measures 1 mV.

Is this a transformer problem?

Any ideas?

I am getting error code 170 on my Jandy Aqua pure 1400 salt system.

Measured the test points on the back board and 2 measurements are

slightly off and 1 measurement is way off.

Points 1 to 8; should be 75 VAC actual 80 VAC

Points 2 to 7; should be 65 VAC measured 70 VAC

Points 3 to 4 ok is 21 VAC as specified

Points 4 to 5; should be 120 mV measures 1 mV.

Is this a transformer problem?

Any ideas?

I measured the test points too and had a similar result...a couple minor deviations and one meaningful one. I tossed the paper I had it recorded on, but it was about the same as your describing. I didn't measure points 4 to 5 though.

I replaced the flow sensor and my 170 problem was solved.

Sorry can't help more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am getting error code 170 on my Jandy Aqua pure 1400 salt system. I did the troubleshooting front board, and got these readings,,,,,,,,,,,

Salinity and R-Temp 2.9gpl

Pool Temperature 74F

H-Temp 90

Are these readings o.k.?

Hi, I am getting error code 170 on my Jandy Aqua pure 1400 salt system. I did the troubleshooting front board, and got these readings,,,,,,,,,,,

Salinity and R-Temp 2.9gpl

Pool Temperature 74F

H-Temp 90

Are these readings o.k.?

Check out the repair manual link posted in the other thread. Pool Clown's post #97.

1400 manual link

Maybe it will help diagnois problem.