Properly Evaluating A Dealer

I'm new to the board. This is a great forum. I'm in the market for my first tub. I'm looking at HS, D1, Sundance and Jacuzzi.

Most of the questions here seem to be about which is the best tub. But equally as important is what makes the best dealer. What are some of the not-so-obvious ways of evaluating a dealer? Obviously how long they've been in business and the BBB rating helps. As well as your gut feeling. But what about the new guy in the business a few years? I would think length doesn't always tell the story.

Went to the HS dealer yesterday. 25 years in the business, A+ BBB rating, 2 successful stores. Pretty obvious, a good dealer. Today was the D1/Jacuzzi dealer. 5 years in the business. Just opened 2nd store. Also carries Clearwater spas. Their first year carrying Jacuzzi. I dealt with the owner. He could be just as reputable as the HS dealer. How do I know?

1. Since Jacuzzi is new to this dealer, does that discount his experience?

2. D1/Jacuzzi dealer did not offer any financing, vs HS who did. Can anything be inferred from that?

3. Does number of brands carried mean anything? Or is that controlled by the manufacturer?

4. In general, is the dealer who's sole business is spas more likely to be better that the guy who sells spas, wood stoves and gazebos?

Are there any subtle clues to look for? Thanks for your input!!

i would agree with the Doc on this one, financing is usually up to the dealer on what they offer, new line Jacuzzi , they have been around a long time, that should not be a question, some manufacturers wnat exclusivity in a showroom , but we see that changing.and the last one i think it shows the dealer is more rounded especially in this economy , they do not have to rely on one particular item to sell, our dealership sells hot tubs, firepalces and stoves, bbq's ,gazebo's, patio furniture and solar stuff. so i think it makes us stronger.....

I'm new to the board. This is a great forum. I'm in the market for my first tub. I'm looking at HS, D1, Sundance and Jacuzzi.

Most of the questions here seem to be about which is the best tub. But equally as important is what makes the best dealer. What are some of the not-so-obvious ways of evaluating a dealer? Obviously how long they've been in business and the BBB rating helps. As well as your gut feeling. But what about the new guy in the business a few years? I would think length doesn't always tell the story.

Went to the HS dealer yesterday. 25 years in the business, A+ BBB rating, 2 successful stores. Pretty obvious, a good dealer. Today was the D1/Jacuzzi dealer. 5 years in the business. Just opened 2nd store. Also carries Clearwater spas. Their first year carrying Jacuzzi. I dealt with the owner. He could be just as reputable as the HS dealer. How do I know?

1. Since Jacuzzi is new to this dealer, does that discount his experience?

2. D1/Jacuzzi dealer did not offer any financing, vs HS who did. Can anything be inferred from that?

3. Does number of brands carried mean anything? Or is that controlled by the manufacturer?

4. In general, is the dealer who's sole business is spas more likely to be better that the guy who sells spas, wood stoves and gazebos?

Are there any subtle clues to look for? Thanks for your input!!

The only thing I would not agree with everyone on is number 4. If they sell backyard stuff plus hot tubs your fine but if they sell shampoo, electronics, potato chips and have about 15-20 checkout isles I would avaoid buying a hot tub from them. They always sell a lessor product for less money and they are terrible at backing the sale with service.