Choosing Spa...calspa Or Coast

So anyone have any idea as to why commercial hot tubs are different than almost all others.

David's explanation isn't an answer I don't think. My take on it is that the reason is to allow you to change the filter 'without' all the stuff reentering to tub, that makes more sense to me but I would love someone more knowledgeable to confirm if this is indeed correct or not.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyone have any idea as to why commercial hot tubs are different than almost all others.

David's explanation isn't an answer I don't think. My take on it is that the reason is to allow you to change the filter 'without' all the stuff reentering to tub, that makes more sense to me but I would love someone more knowledgeable to confirm if this is indeed correct or not.

You are indded correct. By having the filter separate is supposed to allow you to change the filter "without" all the crap going back into the tub. That is why they have designed it that way. As I mentioned before, I am sure that all products may have flaws..depending on who assembled them and whether they like their job or not. Hmmmm..did anyone say Toyota? The bottom line to me is that there are a lot of good manufacturers, BC, Coast, Jaccuzi, Dynasty etc..however as long as your dealer is reputable and you believe that they are there to help, then you cannot go to wrong. PS.. the comment about the waterfall above...dude, it is cool. I actually looked at a similiar feature, however I found the seating not as comfortable as the Freedom Luxury from Coast..and btw, the one I purchased, (waiting on delivery), has 2 smaller waterfall features. I agree that why..but for my two kids, I think they will like it...the other feature is the vulcano jet at the bottom...should give them some fun.

So in close..do your research, its a big investment, look for the features you need/want, and a good dealer.. and have fun. I will report back when I get mine and let you know. Oh..ps..get a few a quotes on the electrical, they can vary greatly in price...and see my previous post about the 50AMP GFCI from Home Depot..it is a steal..

Cheers...

You are indded correct. By having the filter separate is supposed to allow you to change the filter "without" all the crap going back into the tub. That is why they have designed it that way. As I mentioned before, I am sure that all products may have flaws..depending on who assembled them and whether they like their job or not. Hmmmm..did anyone say Toyota? The bottom line to me is that there are a lot of good manufacturers, BC, Coast, Jaccuzi, Dynasty etc..however as long as your dealer is reputable and you believe that they are there to help, then you cannot go to wrong. PS.. the comment about the waterfall above...dude, it is cool. I actually looked at a similiar feature, however I found the seating not as comfortable as the Freedom Luxury from Coast..and btw, the one I purchased, (waiting on delivery), has 2 smaller waterfall features. I agree that why..but for my two kids, I think they will like it...the other feature is the vulcano jet at the bottom...should give them some fun.

So in close..do your research, its a big investment, look for the features you need/want, and a good dealer.. and have fun. I will report back when I get mine and let you know. Oh..ps..get a few a quotes on the electrical, they can vary greatly in price...and see my previous post about the 50AMP GFCI from Home Depot..it is a steal..

Cheers...

I thought I was correct but as I am new to tubing I didn't want to appear as a know it all. You are right about the importance of the dealer, mine is the main importer to all of Ireland, plus the Coast UK are only a short jump in a plane if things did turn sour which I doubt will ever happen as the dealer is a long establish guy in the industry over here with multiple brands.

I also liked the idea of the volcano jet, by the sounds of it the thing offers the constant movement of water without having the normal back jets on which should be nice, I also have a nice back garden to look out over so the negative edge should heighten the whole hot tub experience. My main hope is the tub will help my bad back and I suffer a lot for muscle pain and the odd time I'm in the brother-in-law's tub I do notice an improvement for a day or so, hopefully regular use will give me a new lease of life. :D

I am well covered with regards to the electrics as my good friend is an electrical engineer and has done several hot tubs and will be doing mine, costing only the parts and a few beer. ;)

It's funny you mentioned 50amp because I got the spec back from Coast Spas and they say my tub need a 32 Amp dedicated supply from the rcd side of the board to a 32amp rotary isolator near the tub.

Does this sound light or OK?

I think it really depends on the AMP of the motors. From the Coast perspective, the 5HP, (though some will say it is less than that), it requires a 50 AMP with a GFCI breaker. Note, you also need a disconnect around 15 feet from the tub. Coast also has a 7HP, and I believe a 4HP. Perhaps you are looking at the 4HP pump. Either way, the dealer should stipulate the required breaker size before you purchase the tub. Their warranty is pending the proper wiring installation as well. Not a big deal, but just make sure they provide you the information.

WHat I am finding is the cost of the electrician is damn high.. (I am in the wrong business).. I am north of Toronto, and had prices so far ranging from 1400.00 - 1700.00. Note that includes about a 100' run, but I bought my own 50 AMP GFCI outdoor box.. Ouch...

That wasn't an explanation, I simply asked why Coast follow the same ideas that are used in commerical hot tub and why commerical ones aren't allowed to use a similar system that the rest adopt? If you're not sure then say so, I don't know which is the reason I am asking.

A standerd 50-100sf paper filter will not handle the bather load of a commercial hot tub. Most I work on have a sand filter or large media type filter located in a seperate room. It's the size of a big garbage can! It would take up half of a residential portable sized tub. Most are hooked in conjunction with a pool filter system. They also require a 3-5PPM chlorine/bromine level at all times and a max temp of 101 in Minnesota.

It's funny you mentioned 50amp because I got the spec back from Coast Spas and they say my tub need a 32 Amp dedicated supply from the rcd side of the board to a 32amp rotary isolator near the tub.

I think it really depends on the AMP of the motors. From the Coast perspective, the 5HP, (though some will say it is less than that), it requires a 50 AMP with a GFCI breaker. Note, you also need a disconnect around 15 feet from the tub. Coast also has a 7HP, and I believe a 4HP. Perhaps you are looking at the 4HP pump. Either way, the dealer should stipulate the required breaker size before you purchase the tub. Their warranty is pending the proper wiring installation as well. Not a big deal, but just make sure they provide you the information.

WHat I am finding is the cost of the electrician is damn high.. (I am in the wrong business).. I am north of Toronto, and had prices so far ranging from 1400.00 - 1700.00. Note that includes about a 100' run, but I bought my own 50 AMP GFCI outdoor box.. Ouch...

if the 5hp you are talking about is what they call a "vf"(yellow)it is only a 4.4 hp over rated over priced under built and not something i would spend that much on then again i have seen coast spas dealer cost on some of the new stuff and the msrp sheets ...

if the 5hp you are talking about is what they call a "vf"(yellow)it is only a 4.4 hp over rated over priced under built and not something i would spend that much on then again i have seen coast spas dealer cost on some of the new stuff and the msrp sheets ...

I have never heard someone so negative on any brand of product as you are, especially one which has more awards and industry firsts as Coast has.

It seems I have entered a right old argument when all I was asking is whether they are a decent tub or not. The three other tub names were suggested by the dealer worth considering, they were Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Coast, I chose Coast for two main reasons, I like the dealer (most important thing in my mind) and Coast as a company are in the UK and with in an easy reach if I have a major problem should the dealer not be able to sort my issues out to my satisfaction.

In fairness the dealer did give me a few customer names and numbers to ring to see what they thought, not the kind of thing people generally do if the product is crap.

P.S.

BTW this is a photo of the Cascade Niagara is case no one has seen one before.

471877659215.jpg

What's the open gap of the side for??

It seems I have entered a right old argument when all I was asking is whether they are a decent tub or not. The three other tub names were suggested by the dealer worth considering, they were Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Coast, I chose Coast for two main reasons, I like the dealer (most important thing in my mind) and Coast as a company are in the UK and with in an easy reach if I have a major problem should the dealer not be able to sort my issues out to my satisfaction.

In fairness the dealer did give me a few customer names and numbers to ring to see what they thought, not the kind of thing people generally do if the product is crap.

P.S.

471877659215.jpg

the hole on the side is for an ipod the big open space in front is the surge tank for water displacement and for the vanishing edge effect

I have never heard someone so negative on any brand of product as you are, especially one which has more awards and industry firsts as Coast has.

what firsts in the industry? the water fall is a rip off from jacuzzi the jets they use are water ways and all mid level and lower use them as i worked for a coast flaw dealer for 8 years and don't remember any award other then the one the factory gives to the dealers every year coast flaws is a follower not a leader when you get your spa take a look at the bottom of the spa pull a corner of the spa bottom and check the base you will find untreated wood and not the pressure treated that the claim also pull a panel off the side and what will you find cheap 2x2 for support are they using more than the 3 screws on the bottom of the panels and wood wedges shoved up under the spa lip?this makes the panels loose and rattle are they still daisy chaining the leds together have they got to a waterproof conectors yet or are they still wrapping them with painters tape(good protection)good luck on your spa i hope it is not a monday or friday built spa

what firsts in the industry? the water fall is a rip off from jacuzzi the jets they use are water ways and all mid level and lower use them as i worked for a coast flaw dealer for 8 years and don't remember any award other then the one the factory gives to the dealers every year coast flaws is a follower not a leader when you get your spa take a look at the bottom of the spa pull a corner of the spa bottom and check the base you will find untreated wood and not the pressure treated that the claim also pull a panel off the side and what will you find cheap 2x2 for support are they using more than the 3 screws on the bottom of the panels and wood wedges shoved up under the spa lip?this makes the panels loose and rattle are they still daisy chaining the leds together have they got to a waterproof conectors yet or are they still wrapping them with painters tape(good protection)good luck on your spa i hope it is not a monday or friday built spa

For a company to get approval from TUV means they have to does exactly what they advertise and are at the top of their game. As for the number of 'firsts' that they might or might not have, it's unimportant, all it shows is that they are forward thinking with their designs, nothing more and nothing less.

Sorry mate but every one of your replies shout out the message of sour grapes for some reason or another, either with your previous employer or a more personal issue with Coast themselves. Their is always three sides to every story, yours, theirs and the REAL truth.

P.S.

471877659215.jpg

the hole on the side is for an ipod the big open space in front is the surge tank for water displacement and for the vanishing edge effect

Ahh nice! So you don't loose any water to water displacement? Does it put the water back into the main tub of water from the surge tank?

Ahh nice! So you don't loose any water to water displacement? Does it put the water back into the main tub of water from the surge tank?

Exactly, well that is what it appears to be doing. The water level stays constant regardless of the number entering or leaving the tub.

I'll let you know better in a few weeks when mine finally arrives.

Well all. I said that I would place another post once I received my new Coast Spa. PS.. It is the Freedom 55..with 55 being the number of jets. So let me tell you the good, and the bad.

I received a call a week ago this past Friday, where they left me a message that my tub had arrived. (the same week they initially told me it would - Good. Unfortunately I was away on vacation, and called them back after hours to let them know to call me on the Monday. Whe we spoke, they indicated that they could deliver and install the spa on Monday.....unfortunately the following week, as they were completely booked up. I gently complained, and let them know that I was still on vacation and would greatly appreciate if they could do something for me that week. Perhaps about 30 minutes later, they called and told me they moved some scheduling around, and I would have my tub on Wednesday - Good.

The guys came to install and setup the tub, placed it where we desired...moved some of the wiring - good.. we began to fill the tub, and they added the first set of chemicals. ZThe tub was about half filled, and the guys were about to leave..THEN I noticed that there was water around the edge of the tub.. lagged them back, and they began to look for the issue. Apparently one of the main fittings was not on correctly, and they could not tighten it.. UMMMMM... - Not so good. But they got right on the phone with the shop, and made the arrangements to have one of the techs come out. I received a call 20 minutes later, that they had someone on the way. Within an hour or so, it was fixed. Apparently, the fitting was not seated properly, or something. It was an easy fix.. so I was glad.. though I would think a proper wet test may have caught it. My opinion.. I am fine with this..My dealer was very good and accomodating, and they still owe me a visit to move the antennea for the radio, such that I have better reception.

About the tub - It rocks...Steroe is great..flow is great..volcano feature and waterfall is awesome...and all the lighting is quite cool.

All in all. I am please with my Coast Spa thus far..

Cheers

Great to heard things are well and the tub is great. I considered the Freedom as well but something drew me to the Cascade instead. As you said, the dealer 9 times out of ten is the reason for either a very good or very bad experience and in your case the former.

Please post pics at some point, hopefully with some pretty bird in it.

For a company to get approval from TUV means they have to does exactly what they advertise and are at the top of their game. As for the number of 'firsts' that they might or might not have, it's unimportant, all it shows is that they are forward thinking with their designs, nothing more and nothing less.

Sorry mate but every one of your replies shout out the message of sour grapes for some reason or another, either with your previous employer or a more personal issue with Coast themselves. Their is always three sides to every story, yours, theirs and the REAL truth.

have you noticed that the coast flaws "radiance"spa looks a lot like the JACUZZI J470/480 and the "QUEST"looks a lot like a J-220? just copy something that works then you don't have to spend on R&D to make a good spa

Well all. I said that I would place another post once I received my new Coast Spa. PS.. It is the Freedom 55..with 55 being the number of jets. So let me tell you the good, and the bad.

I received a call a week ago this past Friday, where they left me a message that my tub had arrived. (the same week they initially told me it would - Good. Unfortunately I was away on vacation, and called them back after hours to let them know to call me on the Monday. Whe we spoke, they indicated that they could deliver and install the spa on Monday.....unfortunately the following week, as they were completely booked up. I gently complained, and let them know that I was still on vacation and would greatly appreciate if they could do something for me that week. Perhaps about 30 minutes later, they called and told me they moved some scheduling around, and I would have my tub on Wednesday - Good.

The guys came to install and setup the tub, placed it where we desired...moved some of the wiring - good.. we began to fill the tub, and they added the first set of chemicals. ZThe tub was about half filled, and the guys were about to leave..THEN I noticed that there was water around the edge of the tub.. lagged them back, and they began to look for the issue. Apparently one of the main fittings was not on correctly, and they could not tighten it.. UMMMMM... - Not so good. But they got right on the phone with the shop, and made the arrangements to have one of the techs come out. I received a call 20 minutes later, that they had someone on the way. Within an hour or so, it was fixed. Apparently, the fitting was not seated properly, or something. It was an easy fix.. so I was glad.. though I would think a proper wet test may have caught it. My opinion.. I am fine with this..My dealer was very good and accomodating, and they still owe me a visit to move the antennea for the radio, such that I have better reception.

About the tub - It rocks...Steroe is great..flow is great..volcano feature and waterfall is awesome...and all the lighting is quite cool.

All in all. I am please with my Coast Spa thus far..

Cheers

[/quote so one has to ask was i really wet tested or just another claim?

have you noticed that the coast flaws "radiance"spa looks a lot like the JACUZZI J470/480 and the "QUEST"looks a lot like a J-220? just copy something that works then you don't have to spend on R&D to make a good spa

Sorry mate, didn't hear you there. All I got was SOUR GRAPES again. :lol:

Apologises for the rub but it's how I perceive your posts. You claim they are carbon copies, if true then all that means is Coast recognize that these tubs are exceptional, so fair play to Jacuzzi. Though I honestly thought that the overall shape of the tub was only part of it, surely the jets and the rest of the equipment needs to be the same for this to be true?

Notice that thing flying out the window? That's your credibility. :rolleyes:

Sorry mate, didn't hear you there. All I got was SOUR GRAPES again. :lol:

Apologises for the rub but it's how I perceive your posts. You claim they are carbon copies, if true then all that means is Coast recognize that these tubs are exceptional, so fair play to Jacuzzi. Though I honestly thought that the overall shape of the tub was only part of it, surely the jets and the rest of the equipment needs to be the same for this to be true?

Notice that thing flying out the window? That's your credibility. :rolleyes:

coast uses waterways jets like 90 percent of the spa makers out there and who ever gives them the best deal on controller at the time and they are not the best out .my parent came from the U.K. hows the weather still cold and raining? the coast spa you seem to be so high on may last a few year then the bottom will rot out yet you limmies seem to like slow decay and rot.when the time comes for your spa to be repaired you can get the polish guys who are taking over your nation to fix it

coast uses waterways jets like 90 percent of the spa makers out there and who ever gives them the best deal on controller at the time and they are not the best out .my parent came from the U.K. hows the weather still cold and raining? the coast spa you seem to be so high on may last a few year then the bottom will rot out yet you limmies seem to like slow decay and rot.when the time comes for your spa to be repaired you can get the polish guys who are taking over your nation to fix it

Well mine has the poly protection base and coast guard sides so I reckon mine will stand up well to our weather. Controllers are supplied by Gecko so I don't know how you came to that conclusion and I was shown the frame of one of their tubs by the dealer and it's wood didn't match your description (no surprise there). Given all of those things how could I not come to the conclusion that you hadn't a personal gripe with Coast, either with your Coast dealer employer or Coast themselves.

P.S.

Have you something against the Polish? One could get the impression that you are kind of racist, which I hope isn't the case.

Well mine has the poly protection base and coast guard sides so I reckon mine will stand up well to our weather. Controllers are supplied by Gecko so I don't know how you came to that conclusion and I was shown the frame of one of their tubs by the dealer and it's wood didn't match your description (no surprise there). Given all of those things how could I not come to the conclusion that you hadn't a personal gripe with Coast, either with your Coast dealer employer or Coast themselves.

P.S.

Have you something against the Polish? One could get the impression that you are kind of racist, which I hope isn't the case.

poly protection base is another jacuzzi rip .impressions are based on ones own views, to call is to admit. for every finger you point 3point at you

It would be nice if EVERYONE came clean about their agendas, present company included. Not gonna happen, I'll bet ya, and that's just fine.

Termie

Well as someone new to tubbing I came on to this forum to get educated and discuss relevant matters to be with their general up keep but in the short time I have been here all I have experienced is back stabbing as to which brand is best and which to buy, clearly a large percentage of people on here have the agenda of promoting themselves (i.e.brand) and little true interest in the community as a whole.