Choosing Spa...calspa Or Coast

Our 21 year old Cal Spa just died and we are looking for a new spa. We have heard troubles with Cal Spa regarding warranties. Are there common troubles with certain pieces of equipment or surfaces with the Cal Spa? Do they still use GE motors? We did have a few issues with heaters/pumps over the years, but overall, the spa was a workhorse at 21 years old.

We also found a dealer for Coast Spas. Although we have not heard of them before, the price for the offering seems good and the dealer seems very knowledgable. Any common issues with Coast? Does Cal Spa own Coast, as I had read on another post?

Any information would be very helpful. We want a company that we can easily deal with if/when there is an issue...and we know that, realistically, someday, we will need a repair.

THANKS!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 21 year old Cal Spa just died and we are looking for a new spa. We have heard troubles with Cal Spa regarding warranties. Are there common troubles with certain pieces of equipment or surfaces with the Cal Spa? Do they still use GE motors? We did have a few issues with heaters/pumps over the years, but overall, the spa was a workhorse at 21 years old.

We also found a dealer for Coast Spas. Although we have not heard of them before, the price for the offering seems good and the dealer seems very knowledgable. Any common issues with Coast? Does Cal Spa own Coast, as I had read on another post?

Any information would be very helpful. We want a company that we can easily deal with if/when there is an issue...and we know that, realistically, someday, we will need a repair.

THANKS!!

stay away from the coast flaw tub and go with Jacuzzi they are one of the best out there

THANKS!!

II'm not a fan of Cal and don't know Coast well. My personal short list of spa makers I'd recommend would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. You can go to their websites and use their delaer locators to see who may be local to you.

THANKS!!

II'm not a fan of Cal and don't know Coast well. My personal short list of spa makers I'd recommend would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. You can go to their websites and use their delaer locators to see who may be local to you.

I agree, with an emphasis on Hot Spring (Caldera) and Sundance.

• 2 weeks later...

i will add like spatech look at D1, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Hot Springs,Marquis if you are in Canada also check out the H20 spas, i am not a big fan of Cal, not familiar enough with Coast. As for there being the best spa out there, how can anyone suggest that if that were the case there would be no competitors. it is everyone's individual opinion on what they think is the best. you might check spasearch.org, pooland spa.com to help your search...google info on the brands you are looking at and see what comes up. but buy the spa you are comfortable with and the dealer you feel good about...

THANKS!!

I used to sell Cal and currently sell Coast. We have had issues with Cal in regards to them covering stuff under warranty and paying us for warranty work. both are separate companies but the owners used to be co-owners of Cal Spas until 1995. In the two years we have sold Coast, they have been a good company to deal with and in my opinion a very good spa. I think Cal switched to Marathon motors but I am not sure. The main issue was not with the motors but the wet end and pump seals. Given the issues with the company and the some quality issues (glue joints, wetends, covers) that have been ongoing, I do not recommend them. I cannot comment on Coast from a consumers perspective but from a dealers they are good to deal with. Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer and wettest any spa you are considering. Let me know if you have any questions about Coast and I will do my best to remain unbiased.

coast spas used to be called cal coast spas ,until it was sold a few years back and the previous owner signed an agreement that he would not manufacture spas anymore but ,he did under the name cal spas.

Cal has been around since 1977 and Coast started in 1996 when the current Coast owner parted ways with Cal Spas. So I am not sure how "cal coast" was sold a few years back and then cal came out of it as Cal had been around long before Coast.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to sell Cal and currently sell Coast. We have had issues with Cal in regards to them covering stuff under warranty and paying us for warranty work. both are separate companies but the owners used to be co-owners of Cal Spas until 1995. In the two years we have sold Coast, they have been a good company to deal with and in my opinion a very good spa. I think Cal switched to Marathon motors but I am not sure. The main issue was not with the motors but the wet end and pump seals. Given the issues with the company and the some quality issues (glue joints, wetends, covers) that have been ongoing, I do not recommend them. I cannot comment on Coast from a consumers perspective but from a dealers they are good to deal with. Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer and wettest any spa you are considering. Let me know if you have any questions about Coast and I will do my best to remain unbiased.

Hi everyone, new here and this is me first every hot tub purchase.

I only just placed my order a couple of weeks ago but on doing some internet searching I got a little worried about buying a Coast, everything I knew about my dealer (Northern Ireland) reassures me as he's sold lots of tubs and been in the game quite some time but some posts I read from else where didn't, warranty being the number one concern, you seem to be saying that Coast Spas are a relatively old company that are under new ownership from 1995, but most of the problem I read were from after this time.

A bit of background. My brother in law purchased a Hot Springs Envoy around 4 years ago and on the whole it's been a good product, some small issues with jets and the control panel but all have been dealt with by the dealer, which leads me to believe that most of the problems people have are more dealer related and usually come from internal problems between dealer and supplier, in other words good dealer/supplier relationship means good customer service for the client. Anyway I bought mine at a show, the new Cascade Niagara 45 as he didn't have one in stock but one was being shipped in for the show he suggested it was worth waiting to see and after seeing it I happen to agree with him. The showstand was set up by my local dealer but represented with a person from Coast Spas themselves. I must say the guy could walk the walk and talk the talk and lots of the stuff he said about their products made sense to me, especially the filter system, also the quality of the products looks top class compared to the dealer's other brands. He spoke very highly of a few brands but obviously felt their own was the best of the bunch, no surprise there then.

Anyway, I know this is a new product from Coast but was basically wondering whether my fears are founded as you seem to rate the company at present very good.

Thanks in advance.

I only just placed my order a couple of weeks ago but on doing some internet searching I got a little worried about buying a Coast, everything I knew about my dealer (Northern Ireland) reassures me as he's sold lots of tubs and been in the game quite some time but some posts I read from else where didn't, warranty being the number one concern, you seem to be saying that Coast Spas are a relatively old company that are under new ownership from 1995, but most of the problem I read were from after this time.

A bit of background. My brother in law purchased a Hot Springs Envoy around 4 years ago and on the whole it's been a good product, some small issues with jets and the control panel but all have been dealt with by the dealer, which leads me to believe that most of the problems people have are more dealer related and usually come from internal problems between dealer and supplier, in other words good dealer/supplier relationship means good customer service for the client. Anyway I bought mine at a show, the new Cascade Niagara 45 as he didn't have one in stock but one was being shipped in for the show he suggested it was worth waiting to see and after seeing it I happen to agree with him. The showstand was set up by my local dealer but represented with a person from Coast Spas themselves. I must say the guy could walk the walk and talk the talk and lots of the stuff he said about their products made sense to me, especially the filter system, also the quality of the products looks top class compared to the dealer's other brands. He spoke very highly of a few brands but obviously felt their own was the best of the bunch, no surprise there then.

Anyway, I know this is a new product from Coast but was basically wondering whether my fears are founded as you seem to rate the company at present very good.

Thanks in advance.

What dealers are close by?

Thanks in advance.

Coast has been around since 1996 when the owner split away from Cal Spas. Being a Coast dealer, I believe they make a good spa and the company has been good to deal with. Some others may disagree with me and thats ok as everyone is entitled to an opinion. You will find positive and negative information about every manufacturer in the industry so take that with a grain of salt. If you are comfortable with your dealer then you should be fine.

Coast has been around since 1996 when the owner split away from Cal Spas. Being a Coast dealer, I believe they make a good spa and the company has been good to deal with. Some others may disagree with me and thats ok as everyone is entitled to an opinion. You will find positive and negative information about every manufacturer in the industry so take that with a grain of salt. If you are comfortable with your dealer then you should be fine.

I know enough about these products to know the misuse and improper care of the tub will result in failure. I've owned a swimming pool for 8 years so I'm reasonably confident with the chemical side of things and like the pool equipment I will get the tub looked at once a year by the dealer, but like all things by that cars, dishwasher or hot tubs, it's the dealer that make or break the whole ownership experience. And in my dealer I have faith.

You should look up a guy called surreyguy and read what he has to say about coast flaws hot tubs he used to work at the factory and has some good inside information the best one is how coast had to send someone to england and somewhere else over there to fix a whole shipment of spas that had flaws right from the factory i hope its not one of those spas that you are getting good luck on your coast flaw

You should look up a guy called surreyguy and read what he has to say about coast flaws hot tubs he used to work at the factory and has some good inside information the best one is how coast had to send someone to england and somewhere else over there to fix a whole shipment of spas that had flaws right from the factory i hope its not one of those spas that you are getting good luck on your coast flaw

I think you can find faults in any manufacturer, however when you look at the number of tubs sold and the problem %, I think Coast is a relatively good brand. Living in Canada one of the things that I looked for was the "full" insulation, and Coast does a good job on that. I honestly cannot give a good or bad recommendation on Coast, as I am awaiting delivery on the Coast that I just purchased. The reseller I dealt with in Mississauga was extremely knowledgeable on the product and his competition, though he did not bash anyone. As well, I had the store (in business over 25 yrs under the same name - IMPORTANT, gave me a written 5 full yrs on components (which are typically prorated yr 4 and 5).

I am hoping that I made the right purchasem and so farm I feel good about the money I laid out.

My tub is currently being manufactured so I doubt it's one of one mentioned above. But like I said before, I think if your dealer is good then all issues you may experience in the future will be dealt with efficiently, which is good enough for me. I'm actually reassured with your comments, the tubs had flaws, admittedly shouldn't have happened

but the company sent someone over to sort it out.

Hopefully in another 6 or so weeks I'll be reporting back as a very happy customer. Fingers crossed.

P.S.

I also got a 5 yrs warranty on parts, which is a plus but only if the company stays a float which is the same for all of them.

Just because you do not approve of the company or product does not mean they are all flawed even if surreyguy's information is correct.

Just because you do not approve of the company or product does not mean they are all flawed even if surreyguy's information is correct.

Have you noticed that you are the only one on this forum that defends coast flaws? at least D1 and Arctic both read this and are here to help,yet you seem to be the lone voice in this wilderness. why is that or what is up with that

It seems I have entered a right old argument when all I was asking is whether they are a decent tub or not. The three other tub names were suggested by the dealer worth considering, they were Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Coast, I chose Coast for two main reasons, I like the dealer (most important thing in my mind) and Coast as a company are in the UK and with in an easy reach if I have a major problem should the dealer not be able to sort my issues out to my satisfaction.

In fairness the dealer did give me a few customer names and numbers to ring to see what they thought, not the kind of thing people generally do if the product is crap.

P.S.

BTW this is a photo of the Cascade Niagara is case no one has seen one before.

471877659215.jpg

Have you noticed that you are the only one on this forum that defends coast flaws? at least D1 and Arctic both read this and are here to help,yet you seem to be the lone voice in this wilderness. why is that or what is up with that

I also don't see factory reps (not dealers) from Jacuzzi / Sundance so whats your point? I sell them, I think they are a good product just like you repair Jacuzzi and think they are a good product, which I also think they are. Not every dealer knows about this forum or may have time to post. Can't you just congratulate a customer on the purchase and wish them happy tubbin?

I also don't see factory reps (not dealers) from Jacuzzi / Sundance so whats your point? I sell them, I think they are a good product just like you repair Jacuzzi and think they are a good product, which I also think they are. Not every dealer knows about this forum or may have time to post. Can't you just congratulate a customer on the purchase and wish them happy tubbin?

Not For a coast flaw

It seems I have entered a right old argument when all I was asking is whether they are a decent tub or not. The three other tub names were suggested by the dealer worth considering, they were Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Coast, I chose Coast for two main reasons, I like the dealer (most important thing in my mind) and Coast as a company are in the UK and with in an easy reach if I have a major problem should the dealer not be able to sort my issues out to my satisfaction.

In fairness the dealer did give me a few customer names and numbers to ring to see what they thought, not the kind of thing people generally do if the product is crap.

P.S.

BTW this is a photo of the Cascade Niagara is case no one has seen one before.

471877659215.jpg

What you have is what coast flaws used to call a serenity spa and they were the best looking spa a dealer would have on his showroom floor they will seat about 2with comfort and that water fall other than taking up all that room what does it do?

Not For a coast flaw

All I have to say is wow. Anyway, I got better things to do than continue this.

What you have is what coast flaws used to call a serenity spa and they were the best looking spa a dealer would have on his showroom floor they will seat about 2with comfort and that water fall other than taking up all that room what does it do?

Are you not talking about the original Cascade which was introduced around 2000 or so? I think that tub wasn't a big mover for obvious reasons like limited amount of users (2) and it's price. This Niagara seats 6 comfortably or 7 at a push and the waterfall that you are referring to means that not matter how many enter the tub the water level remains the same, one feature I reckon was a big bonus.

I have a question about filtration, why do all other tubs have their filter in the same water as the users? The guys who built my swimming pool also built commercial swimming pools and more interestingly Hot tubs, it was them that original steered me to Coast because like commercial Hot tubs their filters are separate. I don't know what the significance of this is but I do know that commercial tub can't have filters the normal way of most Hot tubs.

Are you not talking about the original Cascade which was introduced around 2000 or so? I think that tub wasn't a big mover for obvious reasons like limited amount of users (2) and it's price. This Niagara seats 6 comfortably or 7 at a push and the waterfall that you are referring to means that not matter how many enter the tub the water level remains the same, one feature I reckon was a big bonus.

I have a question about filtration, why do all other tubs have their filter in the same water as the users? The guys who built my swimming pool also built commercial swimming pools and more interestingly Hot tubs, it was them that original steered me to Coast because like commercial Hot tubs their filters are separate. I don't know what the significance of this is but I do know that commercial tub can't have filters the normal way of most Hot tubs.

it does not matter where the filter is once you open it to change the filter all that crap goes right into the spa anyways so in the spa or in its own can(they crack around the threads)changing the filter will give you the stuff you have filtered back into the spa good luck i hope you dont get a lemon

it does not matter where the filter is once you open it to change the filter all that crap goes right into the spa anyways so in the spa or in its own can(they crack around the threads)changing the filter will give you the stuff you have filtered back into the spa good luck i hope you dont get a lemon

That wasn't an explanation, I simply asked why Coast follow the same ideas that are used in commerical hot tub and why commerical ones aren't allowed to use a similar system that the rest adopt? If you're not sure then say so, I don't know which is the reason I am asking.