Overall Tub Cost/value

Tubber McGee

I wanted to get a total yearly cost of owning a tub and after crunching some numbers here are some approx numbers I came up with!

Average length of owning a tub - I am thinking 15 years is probably a good average - maybe a little high (at least for my purposes as I would probably want new technology at least every 15 years) So..if I pay $10,000 for a tub for a good quality tub- the tub will cost me $750 per year! This is based on little to zero resale value for a 15 year old tub!

Now we have to add in chemicals which I am estimating at $250 a year!

Next we add in electricity at an average of $30 per month (Hot Springs) times 12 months = $360

So - this comes out to a cost of $1360 per year or $110 per month - not counting added beer/scotch consumption! Electricity to wash and dry towels! But I am thinking this may be a wash as I will not use as much electricity running the tv at night!

So...my question - is tubbing really worth paying $30 per week - no matter how many times you tub!?!?!?!

I am thinking yes but wanted to hear from seasoned tubbers before biting the bullet!

Thks

So...my question - is tubbing really worth paying $30 per week - no matter how many times you tub!?!?!?!

You're the only one that can answer that question. If it fits easily in your budget then just get one and enjoy. If it's really stretching your wallet then there's probably better things you could spend your money on.

If you think about purchasing a luxury car (as a spa is considered a luxury item in most cases), say $45,000 - $50,000 for something not too crazy. Average 10 years for the life of the car, plus gas, plus insurance, plus maintenance, etc... you could be spending $700+ per month on average not taking inflation and interest into account. If you drive 1,300 miles per month that's $0.54 per mile. If you drive 10 miles to work every day, it's costing you 0.54 * (10 + 10) * 22 working days a month = $237 / mo or $60 a week just for the basic necessity of getting to and from work.

So for half the cost of a basic necessity, you could relax in your nice hot tob while it helps releive all that stress you got from work.

If you still want to consider cost per soak, also take into account how many other well get enjoyment from the tub and if you like to entertain your friends.

if your going to keep it for over 7 years expect to have to factor in a new pump and or motor every few years and a few leaks and your jets wont last over 7 years before they will get sticky and not spin. dont forget a bill for spare and new filters.

And also figure in 450 for a new cover because you will need one in under 10 years. OF course a few nights where the tub warm up your cold tired body is nice and you might also make some memories of a different kind for when you are 80 and in the rocking chair.

if your going to keep it for over 7 years expect to have to factor in a new pump and or motor every few years and a few leaks and your jets wont last over 7 years before they will get sticky and not spin. dont forget a bill for spare and new filters.

And also figure in 450 for a new cover because you will need one in under 10 years. OF course a few nights where the tub warm up your cold tired body is nice and you might also make some memories of a different kind for when you are 80 and in the rocking chair.

Here is another way to look at it. I don't know your health issues, but down the line if you start having back problems, soar joints, arthrirtis etc, trouble falling asleep, trouble relaxing etc etc.

I have talked to a great many people how have reduced or got rid of medical bills because of owning a hot tub. You will pay more in medical bills than owning the spa over 15 years. A spa can help on all the listed above items. You may be healthy now but you never know.

If your worried about overall cost of owning a spa before you buy one I will bet you will regret getting one after 3 years and up selling it

I wanted to get a total yearly cost of owning a tub and after crunching some numbers here are some approx numbers I came up with!

Average length of owning a tub - I am thinking 15 years is probably a good average - maybe a little high (at least for my purposes as I would probably want new technology at least every 15 years) So..if I pay $10,000 for a tub for a good quality tub- the tub will cost me $750 per year! This is based on little to zero resale value for a 15 year old tub!

Next we add in electricity at an average of $30 per month (Hot Springs) times 12 months = $360

So - this comes out to a cost of $1360 per year or $110 per month - not counting added beer/scotch consumption! Electricity to wash and dry towels! But I am thinking this may be a wash as I will not use as much electricity running the tv at night!

I am thinking yes but wanted to hear from seasoned tubbers before biting the bullet!

Thks

Funny, I went through a similar exercise and my conclusion was 'no', its not worth $30/wk. . .I think my calculation came to $28-$29.

BUT, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

I focused on good, quality used tubs. Found one that was the personal tub of the owner of a local spa shop. I got a 2007 model Nordic with 1 years worth of chemicals and a 90 day warranty for $2500. You can't tell this tub from a new one!

If, in a couple of years, the family time/stress relief/enjoyment becomes worth $30/wk to me, I will upgrade. As for my first week of ownership, I'm getting every nickel of enjoyment out of it!

>>>I focused on good, quality used tubs. Found one that was the personal tub of the owner of a local spa shop. I got a 2007 model Nordic with 1 years worth of chemicals and a 90 day warranty for $2500. You can't tell this tub from a new one!

+1 on this. I bought a used tub, two years old

for under $3000.

I also expect to sell it for SOMEThing when I leave the house in 10 years.

One thing is FOR SURE. Quality of life improvement is remembered LONG after cost is forgotten. It's high expense, relatively, but high return. Go in there min. 2x/week. Also a great place to discuss anything controversial with my wife....neither of us can get too flustered... !

- Phil

I will third the used market.

I actually got mine for free, but had to put about $600 into it for parts up front -- paint, new control pack/topside, 1 new pump, and a new cover, all from ebay and DIY assembly. We have probably put another $150 in parts (plus DIY labor), and then just got a new cover ($250), so total into it is $1K for a free tub and 4.5 years of use.

It's sure not the highest end one out there, and is probably 15-20 years old, but it works for us!

Electricity hit hasn't been too bad, but we live in a warmer climate and run it as a cool spa in the summer.

Thks

I think you are over analyzing - Do you over analyze the cost of a vacation? Owning a tub, while yes it is a luxury, it is an experience - much like vacationing. When you look back on vacation memories do you mutter to yourself...wow that cost $xx a day? I don't think so. Spa ownership is not for everyone. I have barely had mine 6 months and I am stumbling along with the chemistry, but I would not change my decision. I did not go high end, but I did pay close to $6,500 for a yeard end closeout and all the associated set up (>$1,300 for electrical). So far it has "cost" about $400 a soak...no I would not pay $400 for a soak in a tub, but as the "cost" per soak comes down the enjoyment level will continue to rise.

Thks

Good thread, tubber.

I think your simple analysis is a great way to get a handle on the true costs.

Sorry guys I don't agree with the logic that if you want to know how much, you shouldn't be looking at it. I have money... I didn't get it by being careless about knowing what I was spending. To each his own.

I personally wouldn't spend $10k on a hot tub, and your numbers show why.

I think the used tub guys have a great idea to keep cost down, as long as the thing is working. Based on the low prices I'm seeing on Cragslist, If I saw a good clean used tub, I would try it. I bought new, but my tub was much less than $10k. The water is just as hot, and it cost $4800. I made my own cover lifter, cost me about $18 in material and spray Rustoleum (color matches the cabinet!). I don't spend close to $250/year on chems. Looks to me like I'm paying $30-$40 a month for power, hard to be exact, but it's not much different than that. And not full foam, so I will be able to handle any repairs downstream no problem. It all helps keep the cost down... it's still a lot, but I think I'm at about 70% of your numbers. We'll see how the repair picture looks as the years roll by.

So it ain't a cheap indulgence. You have to really want or need it. I wanted one - actually this is my second... knock wood, no serious therapeutic need so far.

Thks

Good thread, tubber.

I think your simple analysis is a great way to get a handle on the true costs.

Sorry guys I don't agree with the logic that if you want to know how much, you shouldn't be looking at it. I have money... I didn't get it by being careless about knowing what I was spending. To each his own.

I personally wouldn't spend $10k on a hot tub, and your numbers show why.

I think the used tub guys have a great idea to keep cost down, as long as the thing is working. Based on the low prices I'm seeing on Cragslist, If I saw a good clean used tub, I would try it. I bought new, but my tub was much less than $10k. The water is just as hot, and it cost $4800. I made my own cover lifter, cost me about $18 in material and spray Rustoleum (color matches the cabinet!). I don't spend close to $250/year on chems. Looks to me like I'm paying $30-$40 a month for power, hard to be exact, but it's not much different than that. And not full foam, so I will be able to handle any repairs downstream no problem. It all helps keep the cost down... it's still a lot, but I think I'm at about 70% of your numbers. We'll see how the repair picture looks as the years roll by.

So it ain't a cheap indulgence. You have to really want or need it. I wanted one - actually this is my second... knock wood, no serious therapeutic need so far.

True I don't think my chem costs are going to be anywhere near $250. Although "start-up" costs are a little more than anticipated I am happy with my choice. Not high end, no stero (mine on a shelf near the unit suffices), no TV (isn't that the point of the Spa?), just good clean and hot water to relax, soak, enjoy a good cigar and a glass of Vino! Since this is your second tub I don't have to tell you the importance of a good DPD test kit.

True I don't think my chem costs are going to be anywhere near $250. Although "start-up" costs are a little more than anticipated I am happy with my choice. Not high end, no stero (mine on a shelf near the unit suffices), no TV (isn't that the point of the Spa?), just good clean and hot water to relax, soak, enjoy a good cigar and a glass of Vino! Since this is your second tub I don't have to tell you the importance of a good DPD test kit.

It's heresy I know but I don't use a drop kit, I use Leisure Time strips. It is my second tub.... I check the levels every day religiously and have never had the slightest hint of a problem with either spa. On refill, I use a flush product and have never had any goo or crud come out of the plumbing. I use the stuff every time, anyway.

I am in no way dissing the use of a good test kit. They're no doubt much more accurate, and I may go that way at some point. I used a liquid test kit, like many folks do, with a pool I had in the past. They're easy to use but certainly the strips are unbeatable for convenience. Based on, at this point, years of ownership, I do believe that the strips, if used regularly, do the job.

IMO, a very important action that isn't mentioned often, is to make sure EVERY jet is left to full open when you exit the tub. THIS INCLUDES THE WATERFALL. This flushes water through the plumbing during the normal operation of the filtration, which goes a long way toward avoiding bacterial growth in the plumbing. Stagnant water in the plumbing is a recognized problem with jetted bathtubs, and biofilms in spa plumbing has been noted and reported by many. Spas with circ pumps generally run the jet pumps for a few minutes every so often - probably for this very reason. I'm surprised that this basic and easy step of making sure the jets and waterfall are open, which can only help, isn't mentioned in the user manuals for the spas I've owned.

Don't forget to close the air control valves! It saves electricity.

It's heresy I know but I don't use a drop kit, I use Leisure Time strips. It is my second tub.... I check the levels every day religiously and have never had the slightest hint of a problem with either spa. On refill, I use a flush product and have never had any goo or crud come out of the plumbing. I use the stuff every time, anyway.

I am in no way dissing the use of a good test kit. They're no doubt much more accurate, and I may go that way at some point. I used a liquid test kit, like many folks do, with a pool I had in the past. They're easy to use but certainly the strips are unbeatable for convenience. Based on, at this point, years of ownership, I do believe that the strips, if used regularly, do the job.

IMO, a very important action that isn't mentioned often, is to make sure EVERY jet is left to full open when you exit the tub. THIS INCLUDES THE WATERFALL. This flushes water through the plumbing during the normal operation of the filtration, which goes a long way toward avoiding bacterial growth in the plumbing. Stagnant water in the plumbing is a recognized problem with jetted bathtubs, and biofilms in spa plumbing has been noted and reported by many. Spas with circ pumps generally run the jet pumps for a few minutes every so often - probably for this very reason. I'm surprised that this basic and easy step of making sure the jets and waterfall are open, which can only help, isn't mentioned in the user manuals for the spas I've owned.

Don't forget to close the air control valves! It saves electricity.

This is why I'm on this forum. Thanks hot water! Such a little thing ... I have been selectively shutting off jets to maximize power to the seats that are occupied, but I hadn't considered stagnant water in the pipes. I'll keep them open from now on.

DK117

We all have different personalities. I guess I am more like Tubber and Hot Water in that I too attempted to understand the cost before "taking the plunge". The tub that I almost bought would have cost me about $115-120 / month over an optimistic 20 year life span by the time I included cost for replaicng things like filters, ozonators, mineral cartirdges, covers,etc in addition to heat, chemicals and water. This figure did not even include service calls and parts replacement.

The spa that I will purchase in the spring will be a smaller, simpler tub and will cost much less, but will still cost more than most would imagine, if they did not go to the trouble to spend 10 - 15 minutes to do a simple analysis. The tub that I am buying will cost about $60 - $65 / month.

I think you are over analyzing - Do you over analyze the cost of a vacation? Owning a tub, while yes it is a luxury, it is an experience - much like vacationing. When you look back on vacation memories do you mutter to yourself...wow that cost $xx a day? I don't think so. Spa ownership is not for everyone. I have barely had mine 6 months and I am stumbling along with the chemistry, but I would not change my decision. I did not go high end, but I did pay close to $6,500 for a yeard end closeout and all the associated set up (>$1,300 for electrical). So far it has "cost" about $400 a soak...no I would not pay $400 for a soak in a tub, but as the "cost" per soak comes down the enjoyment level will continue to rise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not consider this over analaying! I would consider this as being a consensus shopper who did his homework before making a very big purchase that is a 'want' and not a 'need'.

One of the reasons that I can afford this luxury, pay cash for the item, live life with minimal debt and not look back on things with regret is that I go into every purchase with as much knowledge as i can!

A friend on mine recently went into a friends tub! decided he wanted one! bought the first tub - from the first salesman! Now he has a less than desireable tub with an electirc bill he can barely afford! Not to mention a job that is not secure and the need for a new car!

So...anyone that may think that I am overanalazying! I am in a pretty good spot in life because of my over analyazing! I hope you can say the same?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not consider this over analaying! I would consider this as being a consensus shopper who did his homework before making a very big purchase that is a 'want' and not a 'need'.

One of the reasons that I can afford this luxury, pay cash for the item, live life with minimal debt and not look back on things with regret is that I go into every purchase with as much knowledge as i can!

A friend on mine recently went into a friends tub! decided he wanted one! bought the first tub - from the first salesman! Now he has a less than desireable tub with an electirc bill he can barely afford! Not to mention a job that is not secure and the need for a new car!

So...anyone that may think that I am overanalazying! I am in a pretty good spot in life because of my over analyazing! I hope you can say the same?

I did not mean to impy that to analyze the purchase is not warranted...I tend to over analyze a lot of things also and invariably I am bitten by "paralysis by analysis" - sometimes you just need to dive right in

Im think I have researched enough! I think I am going to take your advice - purchase a tub - join the club and dive in! :D

You're sure to enjoy your new toy all the more because you won't be shocked when the (inevitable) realization of the expense hits. Where money or women are concerned, there's never a downside to going in with your eyes open!! Ooops,. unless you're female... then please adjust my above comment accordingly! ;) Good job.

And by all means read at length the instructions from Nitro;http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13634, http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19149, http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18706 and hopefully you never need...http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19115