Cold Temps And Circulation/freezing

flint350

This is my first winter with my new spa (2009 H.S. Envoy) and I'm still on the learning curve. I'm enjoying it almost every day, but I have noticed that after a soak, when I start the first pump which runs on low and also runs the "water feature" (3 stream fountain), that the water is initially quite cold for about the first 5-10 seconds. This would indicate to me that the water in those lines (water feature) is not circulating with the 'always on' circulation pump or getting any heat. I worry that this could cause a freeze somewhere in the line as temps are below freezing now both day and night. The tub is always hot when I get in and is keeping the temp fine, but the lines to the water fountain and the low pressure on one side of the tub start off pretty cold for several seconds. Is that normal or might I have a problem? Thanks.

P.S. We just had 2 feet of snow a week ago and sitting in the tub looking at that was a real treat!

I live in Ontario Canada, Tub is a Arctic, only warm water comes out, its super cold here and the heater rarely comes on. With the cover on the heater never turns on.????

How do you know "With the cover on the heater never turns on" ?

Do not fear this normal for most full foam spas. If the control system does not turn on the jet pumps to purge any lines to water will cool off in the plumbing. Remember heat likes to cool its surroundings. The water feels cold because it is lower than the tubs water temp were it is being read. It is no were near freezing and I never hard of any spa made freezing while it is operating normally.

The Always on circ pump is for heating and filtering only. There are small lines that feed water to the jet pump wet ends but the little circ pump is not strong enough to push all the way to the jets.

The reason way your artic spa does not do this is because they do not full foam the spas and the heat inside the cabinet keeps the water warmer.

I live in Ontario Canada, Tub is a Arctic, only warm water comes out, its super cold here and the heater rarely comes on. With the cover on the heater never turns on.????

The best insulation will still let some heat pass through, meaning your heater WILL kick-in every now and then to maintain temperature with the cover closed.

Same here. It is piping hot when I go in with or without the jets on. The heat pump does go on when it goes beneath the preset temp...but with the cover on this may happen perhaps once a day for 5 minutes. These tubs have the best insulation bar none.

I have a Jandy Aqualink PDA, and I can't figure out how to set the "resting" or minimum temperature for the tub.... Any help? Am I supposed to adjust the heater directly?

It seems to be set to 69 right now....

Thanks!

UPDATE: Ok, looking in the manual for the Jandy Aqualink RS8, I see that there is a "MAINTAIN TEMP" setting where the "low" temp can be set... and I have an Aqualink RS4, which I checked out, and of course, lacks this setting...sigh..

Same here. It is piping hot when I go in with or without the jets on. The heat pump does go on when it goes beneath the preset temp...but with the cover on this may happen perhaps once a day for 5 minutes. These tubs have the best insulation bar none.

"but with the cover on this may happen perhaps once a day for 5 minutes. These tubs have the best insulation bar none." This may happen and this may not, how do you know?

"but with the cover on this may happen perhaps once a day for 5 minutes. These tubs have the best insulation bar none." This may happen and this may not, how do you know?

Because I had an ice storm last week and lost power for 5 days in a row. It also depends on the outside temperature. Bottom line is if your hot tub is well insulated, the cover is fully sealing the tub so that no air is escaping (look for steam) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

LOL...here we go again with the sales pitch for a tub that is well, almost as good as some but not as good as others. You need to add in your opinion to your statements because in my opinion it isn't the "best insulation bar none" I will give you a 100% garuantee that during non filter times (20 hrs a day) the pump and heater will kick on intermittantly several times a day to recover lost heat as the R-Factor of the side walls and cover looses heat to the ambient outside temp here in Northern Minnesota. Maybe not where you live. There is NO magic in Arctics insulation design. The R-Factor is the R-Factor of the side walls and the cover. Heat loss on an Arctic is constant just like on any other tub.

LOL...here we go again with the sales pitch for a tub that is well, almost as good as some but not as good as others. You need to add in your opinion to your statements because in my opinion it isn't the "best insulation bar none" I will give you a 100% garuantee that during non filter times (20 hrs a day) the pump and heater will kick on intermittantly several times a day to recover lost heat as the R-Factor of the side walls and cover looses heat to the ambient outside temp here in Northern Minnesota. Maybe not where you live. There is NO magic in Arctics insulation design. The R-Factor is the R-Factor of the side walls and the cover. Heat loss on an Arctic is constant just like on any other tub.

Totally agree. All reputable tubs have good insulation, and no doubt each manufacturer will say their own tub has "the best" insulation.

As far as I'm aware there is no scientific data available to determine insulation rankings between brands, so debating which tub may or may not have the best insulation is a pointless, and circular argument driven only by subjective opinion.