Newbie Wants Quality !

floridawen

This will be our first SPA and we are looking for a geat experience in quality of workmanship and a long lasting piece of enjoyable equipment, not frequent breakdowns or "problems" !!

We were told that HotSpringSpas and CalderaSpas are the "best and most reliable" !! Can anyone HELP us here, THANKS !!

Wen & Martha

Plant City, Florida

Searching for a spa can definitely been a long process. I personally spent 2 months researching and testing different brands. My my research I can tell you there are pros and cons with each brand. Ultimately you will need to wet test the models you are interested in to see if they are comfortable to you. Every brand is a little bit different and what may be best for one person is not necessarily true for the next. Probably not what you want to hear but it's the truth. I would say first list out what features are important to you. I.E. Lounger or not, 4-5 person, or 6 -7, tailored seating, or open aired design, need stereo & lighting or optional. Once you've decided what's must have and what is optional, then check with makes and models offer what you require. As you know there are several makes and models out there. The ones that are definitely on the top of the list as far as quality and features are: (listed in no particular order)

HotSprings

Sundance

Jacuzzi

Caldera

ArticSpas

D1

I ended up purchasing a Caldera Niagara due to it having the best layout and features I wanted. As mentioned, also make sure to wet test. What looks good on paper may not end up being the best once you test it.

Good luck

Searching for a spa can definitely been a long process. I personally spent 2 months researching and testing different brands. My my research I can tell you there are pros and cons with each brand. Ultimately you will need to wet test the models you are interested in to see if they are comfortable to you. Every brand is a little bit different and what may be best for one person is not necessarily true for the next. Probably not what you want to hear but it's the truth. I would say first list out what features are important to you. I.E. Lounger or not, 4-5 person, or 6 -7, tailored seating, or open aired design, need stereo & lighting or optional. Once you've decided what's must have and what is optional, then check with makes and models offer what you require. As you know there are several makes and models out there. The ones that are definitely on the top of the list as far as quality and features are: (listed in no particular order)

HotSprings

Sundance

Jacuzzi

Caldera

ArticSpas

D1

I ended up purchasing a Caldera Niagara due to it having the best layout and features I wanted. As mentioned, also make sure to wet test. What looks good on paper may not end up being the best once you test it.

Good luck

THANKS SO MUCH for the great info, much appreciated !!

When you refer to "wet test" do you mean actually go to the Spa store with a bathing suit under my shorts and then actually get INTO a filled hot tub........... do they let you do that ????

Yes, they do expect you to come in the store and try the product out..! The product that you are "looking" at may not be the best fit for you, they may have another spa in the showroom that is a better option. If you would like to wet a D1 Spa, let me know and I will be happy to arrange for someone to contact you regarding a wet test. Regarding your desire for a quality spa, D1 is widely known to be among the best in quality and service. D1 once is an idependantly owned company that has been making quality spas for well over 30 years, and they take great pride in providing these product at com petative prices.

So check out D1 Spas..!

Dennis Porter

Technical Support

D1 Spas

This will be our first SPA and we are looking for a geat experience in quality of workmanship and a long lasting piece of enjoyable equipment, not frequent breakdowns or "problems" !!

We were told that HotSpringSpas and CalderaSpas are the "best and most reliable" !! Can anyone HELP us here, THANKS !!

Wen & Martha

Plant City, Florida

You've gotten some good responses so far. CBB gave you good input from someone who just went through the process you're getting into. The manufacturers have dealer locators on their websties which will allow you to see who is local to your area. My personal list below would include Hot Spring and caldera and is pretty much like the one CBB put out. These links should help you see who is in your area:

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html

http://www.dimensiononespas.com/findadealer.asp

http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html

http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/

http://www.marquisspas.com/locator.asp

http://retailer.sundancespas.com/Retailers/index.php

Wen & Martha

Plant City, Florida

Hot Spring & Caldera are excellent examples of what you're looking for. Outside of those, my next recommendation would be Sundance.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND INFORMATION, GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

Wen & Martha

Plant City, Florida

No problem, it's what this forum is for. Definitely helped me plenty in my search. Be sure to report back with your final decision or if you have any additional questions in trying to make a decision.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND INFORMATION, GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

Wen & Martha

Plant City, Florida

No problem, it's what this forum is for. Definitely helped me plenty in my search. Be sure to report back with your final decision or if you have any additional questions in trying to make a decision.

My Wife and I are going to take our time and look at the many Spas available, probably try a "wet test" or two. We will KNOW "the one" when we find it. Usually it's accompanied by a good salesperson and reputable dealership. Unfortunately I found out we only have wiring that terminates out back (where an old Spa used to be) with a 40 AMP breaker (not even G.F.C.I.) so I know an Electrician will be here installing 50 AMP wiring and breakers (G.F.C.I.).

Unfortunately I found out we only have wiring that terminates out back (where an old Spa used to be) with a 40 AMP breaker (not even G.F.C.I.) so I know an Electrician will be here installing 50 AMP wiring and breakers (G.F.C.I.).

I'd wait until you pick the spa to even begin this process.

I agree. What happens if you wire up for 50 amps and then buy a tub that calls for 60.

John

I agree. What happens if you wire up for 50 amps and then buy a tub that calls for 60.

John

The heater won't run with the pumps on?

:lol:

Just funnin' with ya

Gotcha' ;) I'll certainly take your advice and will definitely WAIT 'till after I install the Spa, Thanks !!

You do not have to wait until after you INSTALL necessarily but rather after you have purchased. Once you've purchased it's OK to have the electrician get started on the work in preparation for the spa because at that point you should have documentation from the dealer relative to what you need.

A few additional thoughts:

1. Another reason not to get a new GFCI before you buy your tub is that some manufacturers (e.g., Hot Springs) include a GFCI as part of their package.

2. Do not assume that all loungers are equal. Just because you don't like a lounge seat in one model doesn't mean you won't like one in a different model.

3. Do not assume that 4-5 seats means that 4-5 people will fit comfortably. It just means there are places to put 4-5 butts. Check floor space. When you and your wife wet test tubs, see how much room your own feet have, Then imagine adding 4-6 more feet. On quite a few tubs, either those extra feet are little kids feet or you are comfortable with playing footsies with your friends.

4. The temps in central Florida are warm enough that the debate over Full Foam insulation versus heated air insulation is virtually moot for you. But having previously lived in Jacksonville for 3 years, I would be concerned over bugs nesting under my tub (not so much of a problem in northern Ohio). Make sure the tub you like is sealed pretty well from the ground up. If a manufactirer offers a plastic base (either standard or as an option), it might be worth considering depending on the cost.

Have fun.

A few additional thoughts:

1. Another reason not to get a new GFCI before you buy your tub is that some manufacturers (e.g., Hot Springs) include a GFCI as part of their package.

2. Do not assume that all loungers are equal. Just because you don't like a lounge seat in one model doesn't mean you won't like one in a different model.

3. Do not assume that 4-5 seats means that 4-5 people will fit comfortably. It just means there are places to put 4-5 butts. Check floor space. When you and your wife wet test tubs, see how much room your own feet have, Then imagine adding 4-6 more feet. On quite a few tubs, either those extra feet are little kids feet or you are comfortable with playing footsies with your friends.

4. The temps in central Florida are warm enough that the debate over Full Foam insulation versus heated air insulation is virtually moot for you. But having previously lived in Jacksonville for 3 years, I would be concerned over bugs nesting under my tub (not so much of a problem in northern Ohio). Make sure the tub you like is sealed pretty well from the ground up. If a manufactirer offers a plastic base (either standard or as an option), it might be worth considering depending on the cost.

Have fun.

It all makes a lot of sense........ Thanks for the advice !!

I have been reading here about people with 5 - 10 year old Spas LEAKING around the Jets and it certainly frightens me.............. is it mostly certain Manufacturers or do they ALL leak as they get old?? I am quite worried now about this "problem"......................... :huh:

No, they don't all leak. I have a 20 year old Jacuzzi that has never leaked. There are two main reasons that a tub springs leaks, either it's a poor quality tub or the tub has been abused chemically.

John

I have been reading here about people with 5 - 10 year old Spas LEAKING around the Jets and it certainly frightens me.............. is it mostly certain Manufacturers or do they ALL leak as they get old?? I am quite worried now about this "problem"......................... :huh:

No, they don't all leak. I have a 20 year old Jacuzzi that has never leaked. There are two main reasons that a tub springs leaks, either it's a poor quality tub or the tub has been abused chemically.

John

Or most commonly in my climate, they are improperly drained and left 'empty' during freezing season without being properly winterized.

John

Or most commonly in my climate, they are improperly drained and left 'empty' during freezing season without being properly winterized.

Oh yeah, that is always a huge money maker for me.

John

John

We are here in Florida (near Tampa) so I guess the "freezing" does NOT apply, although we occasionally get a few days in our "winter" that the temps. may hit 28 degrees. I imagine that is when we would leave the circulator and heater ON !!

I searched the forums and visited many dealers in San Diego and Orange County California since June of this year in our search for our first hot tub. Sitting in a dry hot is different then sitting in a hot tub that is full of water. My wife floats and I sink when we are in water. After a exhaustive search we narrowed it down to the Hot Spring Vista and Jacuzzi J-480. Sitting in both hot tubs with no water they felt equal. Then we finally found a dealer with both hot tubs filled with water. The proof for us was in the wet testing. I am 5'10" tall and my wife is 5'4" tall. My wife could only use two of the seats in the Vista and I had a hard time staying in place while laying in the lounger. Maybe it was my height. In the J-480 everything was just right for us. All the research I did placed the Hot Spring line up at the top of my list. If my decision was based upon the information that I had found on the Internet and sitting in hot tun with no water I would have purchased the Hot Spring Vista no questions asked. The biggest obstacle that I had was getting my wife to wet test the hot tubs in the store. I would have to say that it is imperative that you wet test any of the hot tubs that you are considering. Also call in advance and they will set the temperature to your desired setting. We wet tested one hot tub and the temperature was set at 104 degrees and it was to hot to sit in for more then 5 minutes. I wish you the best of luck.