D1 Or Hot Springs?

ihottub

I'm going to serve some Kool-Aid (that's for Waterboy in case he's reading). :)

Hot Spring definitely gets my vote. :) Energy efficiency win, ease of use (no programming, etc). If you like both dealers equally well, and trust that both would serve you well over the years, I'd lean strongly toward the Hot Spring as the better product over all.

*End Kool-Aid* :P

Hot Spring definitely gets my vote. :) Energy efficiency win, ease of use (no programming, etc). If you like both dealers equally well, and trust that both would serve you well over the years, I'd lean strongly toward the Hot Spring as the better product over all.

Oh boy the kool aid man is back huh?? Great, here we go again!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::o

Just to keep things in check for the OP, there is nothing out there that shows that a HS is more energy efficient than a D1. Nor is there anything that shows that they are a better product than an D1. Both are well insulated spas and will both be about the same on a monthly bill. Maybe a dollar or two difference either way, if that. The quality of the D1 is every bit as good as the HS. I would base this decision on which one feels better on your back, butt, and wallet as Roger says. Also look into both dealers to see how long they have been in business. You might also check your local BBB on your dealers. But, HS is not "the best", they are just one of the best, that’s all! :D

If you are looking for some other reputable brands to compare with, I would look at Arctic Spas, Jacuzzi, Sundance, and Marquis to name a few. Good luck!

[i would base this decision on which one feels better on your back, butt, and wallet as Roger says. Also look into both dealers to see how long they have been in business. You might also check your local BBB on your dealers. But, HS is not "the best", they are just one of the best, that’s all! :D

Butt, Brain and wallet, in that order. LOL

[i would base this decision on which one feels better on your back, butt, and wallet as Roger says. Also look into both dealers to see how long they have been in business. You might also check your local BBB on your dealers. But, HS is not "the best", they are just one of the best, that’s all! :D

Whoops, I was a little off! B)

I give one vote for brain, butt, wallet.

Jeremiah,

good points but a little bias since you sell the Hot Springs, but i guess that is fair, but i sell D1 and i would say both are on a even playing field , both have had a big impact on the industry, also ther ease of operation, energy efficient, i think this would come down to the spa that catches there eye and is the right fit for them....I also being in the northwest in eastern Washington, the D1 holds it own for energy efficiency..... i appreciate your honest opinions on the forums.....

As a consumer about to buy a new tub, I keep seeing the "energy efficiency champ" mentioned with respect to the HS line.

Is there any data to support this? I mean, showing HS's energy stats is one thing, but has anyone ever, scientifically, in a controlled environment, directly compared an HS tub to any of its direct competitors under the exact same conditions? That's the only way you would be able to accurately say one is more efficient that the other.

Plus, there are other factors as well. Say the HS is 5 dollars/month cheaper on my electricity bill over "brand x", but one thing that concerned me with the HS tubs I was looking at, was the fact that it used 5 filters. Having to replace all 5 of those even once / year vs a tub with 2 filters could negate the whole energy savings advantage.

I am confident that the couple brands that I have it narrowed down to are all essentially the same with respect to energy consumption. I will be basing my decision on the brain, butt, wallet.

As far as the HotSpring filters go I agree they have a lot. I like that fact because in my opinion more filtering is better. They use one filter dedicated to the circulation pump so it filters 24 hours a day.

If you take care of the filters they should last well beyond a year. I have a 1991 Classic with 3 filters and my regimen is to spray them with my hose monthly. I then soak them in a filter cleaner when I drain & refill about 3 to 4 times per year. My filters are 4 years old.

As far as energy efficiency goes you are probably right that you would have to do a close study. All I can tell you is HotSpring has always been very efficient. Here in Florida mine probably costs about 10 dollars a month. We had a woman have the elec company put a meter on her 1998 Sovereign. They said if she kept it at 104 degrees and used it 2 hours per day it would cost her $8 per month. It would be a little more now that the elec co has the gas surcharges.

I hope this gives you some good info.

has anyone ever, scientifically, in a controlled environment, directly compared an HS tub to any of its direct competitors under the exact same conditions? That's the only way you would be able to accurately say one is more efficient that the other.

Some years back, Arctic Spas commissioned the Alberta Research Council to conduct such a test using a limited sample of eight hot tubs. It wasn't perfect, but as far as I know it remains the only third-party scientifically-controlled comparison test available. Download a summary of the study, called Thermal Performance Test of Hot Tubs.

For a discussion of the flaws in the study, check out the Beating a Dead Horse section on the What's the Best Hot Tub forum. But so far, nobody's come up with anything better.

And for what it's worth, in a test at room temperature the HS came a little ahead, but in the cold-temperature test the Arctics performed the best for energy efficiency.

Those tables show the HotSpring with NO AUTO FILTER - it sounds like they turned on the jet pump to filter, did I miss a mention of this in the article? I think that could change the findings for HotSpring a little.

Please correct me if I'm wrong !!