Pouring A Pad On An Uneven Surface

I am going to be pouring a pad for my new hot tub in the next few weeks. The pad size will be 8' wide and a length of 7'. In between the 7' length span, the ground has a swale in it that goes down about 5". Should I put some gravel in the swale to make it even with the rest of the ground or should I just fill in the void with concrete?

I am planning to make the pad 5 1/2" thick with rebar tied together and grounded. If anyone has any thoughts about this let me know.

Thanks.

Should I put some gravel in the swale to make it even with the rest of the ground or should I just fill in the void with concrete?

It don't matter. What would you rather buy? More gravel? Or more concrete? 5 1/2 inches is enough concrete. I would say throw some gravel at it.

I am going to be pouring a pad for my new hot tub in the next few weeks. The pad size will be 8' wide and a length of 7'. In between the 7' length span, the ground has a swale in it that goes down about 5". Should I put some gravel in the swale to make it even with the rest of the ground or should I just fill in the void with concrete?

I am planning to make the pad 5 1/2" thick with rebar tied together and grounded. If anyone has any thoughts about this let me know.

Thanks.

Either way would be fine I am sure.....if your depression is 4'x4'x5" you will need an additional .18 yards of concrete....at $120 per yard..you are talking $21.60 additional for the concrete. for a pad that small (8'x7'x5") you are only talking about .64 yards to begin with at 5" thickness. Your delivery charges will be far more than your concrete. I would fill it with concrete and be done....but thats just me.

"Swales" are typically installed to facilitate drainage. I would make sure this is NOT the case and if it is I would recomend putting in a pipe to insure you are not diverting rain (snow melt, ETC.) into and therfore against/around your new pad/spa.

Just my .02

very, very good call...I forgot about that!!! a pipe is good idea for major drainage. If it is just a water runoff thing, I would drop one side of my slab by about 1/4-1/2 inch to facilitate water runoff in the direction I want.