Building My Own Hot Tub

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and over the last few days have been reading some of the posts on here from you guys, you all seem like a knowledgeable group of people and i have learnt alot.

Right about my project! I am thinking about building my own hot tub i.e creating my own acrylic mould, fibreglass re-inforcing it, building my own steel frame, plumbing up the tub, fitting all pumps, controls and building a cabinet. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Has anyone else ever done it before?

I would appreciate yourt thoughts and feedback on this.

Speak soon.

Richard

A friend made a hot tub out of an old epoxy car body mold, it had a shallow end (the hood) and a deep end (the passenger compartment). There was no steel frame, it had plywood egg crate reinforcement. It doesn't have to have an acrylic shell, you could make one out of fiberglass with a gel coat surface, or a used wine cask.

Dave

QUOTE (richie_b @ May 31 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and over the last few days have been reading some of the posts on here from you guys, you all seem like a knowledgeable group of people and i have learnt alot.

Right about my project! I am thinking about building my own hot tub i.e creating my own acrylic mould, fibreglass re-inforcing it, building my own steel frame, plumbing up the tub, fitting all pumps, controls and building a cabinet. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Has anyone else ever done it before?

Speak soon.

Richard

Buy a molded tub and build from there.

Hi Guys,

Speak soon.

Richard

Hi Roger,

Cant seem to source a moulded tub, where do you suggest? Has anyone ever attempted this kind of thing before?

Do yopu think it would be a way to save on a spa bought from traditional suppliers?

Richard.

QUOTE (richie_b @ Jun 1 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Guys,

Speak soon.

Richard

Hi Roger,

Cant seem to source a moulded tub, where do you suggest? Has anyone ever attempted this kind of thing before?

Do yopu think it would be a way to save on a spa bought from traditional suppliers?

Richard.

I currently don't have a good source either but talk with your local pool and spa guys and see if they can source you an indoor build in shell, no holes.

Will it save you money? That depends on what value you put on yourself (labor) You could spend alot of hours and if your worth 20-40 bucks an hour then you will save. But I value my time double that plus.

I just stumbled across this pools/spa forum and would like to know if anyone purchased an Evolution CL50 spa from Costco? I've ordered one recently and when the spa was delivered it has "Barcelona" on. But Costco is telling us that it's the same spa. It just does not make sense the explanation given, so I wonder if anyone out there has this model and how they would rate it?

I just stumbled across this pools/spa forum and would like to know if anyone purchased an Evolution CL50 spa from Costco? I've ordered one recently and when the spa was delivered it has "Barcelona" on. But Costco is telling us that it's the same spa. It just does not make sense the explanation given, so I wonder if anyone out there has this model and how they would rate it?

This thread is about something different, but if you ask me and you appear to be. I would rate that spa as a cheap spa from Costco. No dealer backing, shipped across the country (probably leak when it arrives) poor fit and finish compared to a high quality tub. Worth only what you payed for it and no more. But you have the return policy, if it is still in place. Wet test a few high end tubs after you own that one for a while and you will see the difference.

I am from over the pond (UK - England) so it wouldnt be possible but thanks for the offer anyway.

I believe i can save a whole bunch of money if i built my own spa. The frame would be made from scratch at my local engineering company (steel frame being used), the shell would be made from Lucite Microban material although i have got to look into getting this moulded around another spa which i have, so i am unsure on price of this at the moment.

All plumbling and equipment i am sourcing from China i.e jets, fittings, pipes, pumps, controls etc. (although may go for a Belboa system) and the cabinet wood can be picked up from my local DIY store. In all i believe i would be looking at building a spa for around 3000USD and to my specification!

Can anyone reccomend any good spa books with regards to plumbing etc.?

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richie,

I am in the UK and its ture new spa's are vastly over priced here.

If I were to do what you are looking at, I would have a look on ebay for a 2nd hand tub or even a shell you can refurb you should be able to pick up one quite cheap, they come up quite often and it would save you a lot of time in the long run.

failing that you can pick up a decent quality new spa if you avoid the main players for about £2k-£3k as I did.

http://www.spaworldonline.co.uk/products/h...bs/jubilee.aspx

or

http://www.leicesterhottubhire.co.uk/buy-hot-tubs.html

This thread is about something different, but if you ask me and you appear to be. I would rate that spa as a cheap spa from Costco. No dealer backing, shipped across the country (probably leak when it arrives) poor fit and finish compared to a high quality tub. Worth only what you payed for it and no more. But you have the return policy, if it is still in place. Wet test a few high end tubs after you own that one for a while and you will see the difference.

Roger how can you rate the spa, if for one you don't own one or proabilly never even seen one in person! It has a great warranty which you can read online at costco.com.

I own this spa and personally think it's a great spa for the price, you would spend $2K to $3k at a dealer for a similar spa. The Barcelona stickers on the inside of the spa is the model that Stong Spas sells. The CL50 is the same model as the barcelona with a little bit less features.

I am trying to build one now. I don't have a clue, really, but have been making some progress.

"Free Hot Tub", delivered to my house.

019-3.jpg

Now the fun part. It was tough for me to take on this project, as I value my time, but my girlfriend wanted me to proceed.

So I built a deck, at first it was 8x8, but after looking at the tub sitting on it, the deck changed to 8x12. The tub is a VitaSpa 5x6 with 6 jets.

025-1.jpg

023.jpg

002-7.jpg

I have determined the height from the deck to the bottom of the lips as being 25 1/2". So I am framing a wall around it. Then I will be shimming underneath it. I intend to use scraps of wood and foam. Once the tub is secured, I will be needing a spapack.

Here is what I started with regarding the framing.

005-11.jpg

020.jpg

Now looking like this.

006-4.jpg

I intend to build a box off to the side of my spa, install my pack in there and run the pipes through the exterior and into the old cabinet for the connection.

I also intend to convert it from air controls to electronic. Orginal pump is 1hp, but the new pump will be ordered at 1.5hp. Blower attached to pack. Buying a filter system that will need plumbed in within the attached box, so that I can lift out the filter more easily. The box MAYBE a bad idea, but I think that it will help curb the noise of the pump running. Again, it may be a mistake not to fit it into the existing compartment.

I will have spent about $1,000 on the spa to refurb it, but it will be brand new in that aspect. So not too bad a deal. The deck I would have had to build no matter which tub would be used. Also, having to pay an electrician to run the power and install the anti- electrocution module thingy is going to cost additional monies. But the spa shell is in great shape and the cover is as well. I figure their value to be about equal to the cost of the refurb.

I want to see it running with flush before I enclose the sides. The connections may have leaks.

I see your project as being even tougher. Mine is about as difficult as I could imagine anyone wishing to take on. I noticed that the compartment inside the spa had been wet for some time, as the pump was rusted badly. I would be concerned about using a metal frame. The humidity, contained within, would degrade the metal over time. I suspect these spas are naturally moist and warm underneath. Pick your material wisely.

Also, mine will not be portable once finished, but rather stuck in place. I don't intend to move anytime soon. BUT....if when you make yours, make certain that you build a skid underneath your frame so the integrity of the frame is not compromised during a transport.

I offer my mess in response to your request for ideas. Good luck with your project. I hope mine goes smoothly. Alot to learn about spa packs, water treatment, etc. Good website. :D

Roger how can you rate the spa, if for one you don't own one or proabilly never even seen one in person! It has a great warranty which you can read online at costco.com.

If the past 2-3 manufacturers of tubs for Costco are any indication then everything I said is true. How can you rate them? If you've owned one for less than a few years any rating is useless. How can anyone say they have a great warranty!!! A do it yourself warranty? Is Costco sending someone right over to fix your tub?

Someone said you would spend 2-3 grand at a dealer for this tub...wrong, you would spend 2-3 grand more at a dealer for 2-3 grand MORE tub and warranty and dealer support and quality and longevity.

As I always say over and over again. With a Costco hot tub you get exactly what you pay for.