Concerns About Purchasing A Caldera Spa

sksk

We have been looking for a spa for about 2 months now, and yesterday I was able to wet test 4 of the 5 brands were interested in. It’s amazing how different the spas can feel when you do the wet test. There have been several topics lately that have stressed the importance of wet testing, I don’t see how someone could purchase a spa without either wet testing in a store or maybe testing a friends spa. I just want to also stress to all how important it is to wet test. I was able to test four different brands and they were all very different.

I have one more to wet test before making my final decision, but right now it’s between Caldera and Hot Springs. I really enjoyed the Caldera but I have a few concerns and wanted some feedback. I do realize they are made by the same company, but I have heard that Caldera is actually made in Mexico, is this true. I thought they were made on the same line. If they are making or finishing the Caldera line in Mexico is that a major concern.

My other concern is about the dealer that I buy from. The Caldera dealer hasn’t even been in his store for a year. What happens if he goes out of business? Who would cover any warranty work? Would I go through another Caldera dealer or straight to Caldera? That sounds like it could be difficult, what do you all think. It sounds better to buy from a store that has been around for years but anyone can go out of business.

Let me know your thoughts.

Remember, everybody was new at one time and had to get their start somewhere. Find out what the dealers background is. Have they been in the industry a long time in other aspects or did they just open a store for the sake of opening a store. If they opened a store because it seemed like a good idea then pass and go with the HS

I was very much impressed with the Caldera, and almost bought one a couple of weeks back. I had a bad experience with our Caldera dealer in regard to servicing our previous Tiger River spa, otherwise I might have bought the Caldera Tahitian from them. (We went another direction and bought a Vita Nuage)

I also thought it was interesting that they have the C line of spas available for about $2500 cheaper than the Utopian line of spas. If the C45 would have fit in our location, we probably would have purchased this spa for right around $6k+tax - they could not drop a dime below $8k+tax for the Tahitian spa, that would have fit our space better. The funny thing is that they never mentioned the C line to me - I had to ask them about them.

Quality wise, our dealer explained that the Caldera's are manufactured right next to Hot Springs and that they are of exact same standards quality speaking. Not sure if this is the case or not, but when I compared to the two lines I was equally impressed with both HS and Caldera.

You are on the $$$ regarding wet testing. My wife and wet tested a ton of spas and both knew right away when we sat in the Nuage that it was the right spa for us. Going into the process, I figured they were all pretty much the same, and I was probably going to go the Costco route...glad I found this forum and decided to look around.

What other spas are you looking into and what features do you like/dislike about them?

We have been looking for a spa for about 2 months now, and yesterday I was able to wet test 4 of the 5 brands were interested in. It’s amazing how different the spas can feel when you do the wet test. There have been several topics lately that have stressed the importance of wet testing, I don’t see how someone could purchase a spa without either wet testing in a store or maybe testing a friends spa. I just want to also stress to all how important it is to wet test. I was able to test four different brands and they were all very different.

I have one more to wet test before making my final decision, but right now it’s between Caldera and Hot Springs. I really enjoyed the Caldera but I have a few concerns and wanted some feedback. I do realize they are made by the same company, but I have heard that Caldera is actually made in Mexico, is this true. I thought they were made on the same line. If they are making or finishing the Caldera line in Mexico is that a major concern.

My other concern is about the dealer that I buy from. The Caldera dealer hasn’t even been in his store for a year. What happens if he goes out of business? Who would cover any warranty work? Would I go through another Caldera dealer or straight to Caldera? That sounds like it could be difficult, what do you all think. It sounds better to buy from a store that has been around for years but anyone can go out of business.

Caldera Spas are indeed made in Mexico, Sticker behind the front panel says it. Not sure were the Hot Springs in made.

Here is my dislikes about a Caldera.

I do not like the way the panels are but together at all plastic material with plywood backing and I had to replace two of them because they were falling apart. I did notice the new ones have improved structure support.

If it has a circulating pump for heat and it breaks during warranty, any sign of calcium the claim is rejected and you must pay for repair and pump

Most Cladera spas only have one single speed pump and 1 double speed pump. I think the spas should 2 double speed pumps. This means if it is a single speed it is off or full pressure to the jets. If they were both double speed it would give you a option of a gentle massage no matter what seat you sit in.

They still use 48 frame motors which will cost a little more to run than a 56 frame motor, not much more of electricial cost but every little bit helps.

The covers sag out of the box and puddle water after rain.

The filter must be kept clean or the circ pump can't get enough water to heat and gives a error message. (Not all Caldera spas use a circ pump)

They run well and none of them have leaked, There tech support is not the greatest but good. Ask your dealer if his techs have working on spas for awhile and if they have been to the Caldera school.

Full foamed insulation type, just a FYI

They also do not use gate valves to remove pumps or heaters the spa must be drained if service is required.

They are a reliable tub even made in mexico but all the promises I was made didn't materialize at the dealership side and I am dropping them, which makes this a bias opinion on them. With my other line of spas Coleman they don't sell when comparing the two, Since the Colemans are $1000 cheaper.

I know am going to get blasted for this and this just my opinion

Caldera Spas are indeed made in Mexico, Sticker behind the front panel says it. Not sure were the Hot Springs in made.

Here is my dislikes about a Caldera.

I do not like the way the panels are but together at all plastic material with plywood backing and I had to replace two of them because they were falling apart. I did notice the new ones have improved structure support.

If it has a circulating pump for heat and it breaks during warranty, any sign of calcium the claim is rejected and you must pay for repair and pump

Most Cladera spas only have one single speed pump and 1 double speed pump. I think the spas should 2 double speed pumps. This means if it is a single speed it is off or full pressure to the jets. If they were both double speed it would give you a option of a gentle massage no matter what seat you sit in.

They still use 48 frame motors which will cost a little more to run than a 56 frame motor, not much more of electricial cost but every little bit helps.

The filter must be kept clean or the circ pump can't get enough water to heat and gives a error message. (Not all Caldera spas use a circ pump)

They run well and none of them have leaked, There tech support is not the greatest but good. Ask your dealer if his techs have working on spas for awhile and if they have been to the Caldera school.

Full foamed insulation type, just a FYI

They also do not use gate valves to remove pumps or heaters the spa must be drained if service is required.

They are a reliable tub even made in mexico but all the promises I was made didn't materialize at the dealership side and I am dropping them, which makes this a bias opinion on them. With my other line of spas Coleman they don't sell when comparing the two, Since the Colemans are $1000 cheaper.

Well I've been shopping for about 4 weeks now and thought I had seen most everything. However, tonight I've found a couple more brands.

Before I started reading this thread, I thought Caldera, namely the Niagra, was going to get the nod. The Niagra and Geneva are the only spas we have wet tested: Solid and quiet. The only other dealers to wet test I've found are Jacuzzi and Beachcomber.

But most of all, I think the pricing I've found is high. I'm in the Northern Virginia area (DC) and the Niagra (Utopia Series) is $10k. Even the C45 is $8100. I realize "you get what you pay for" but what do you folks think of this pricing? (I dont know where most of you are located)

Another brand I'm looking at is Strong. Resin cabinet. Dont think it's well known. Any comments?

I have also seen CalSpa (noisy), SpaCrest Vision (expensive) Hot Springs (expensive) Beachcomber (undecided, but afraid of the powerplant in the steps), Gulf Coast and a private manufacturer which is local-Malibu Spas.

Is it worth looking at D1 and Masterspa or Coleman? There is no Clearwater dealer around.

Thanks to all!

You can order any Beachcomber in the Original Portable model with equipment installed inside instead of the LE Version with the protec step. For Pretty much 30yrs Beachcomber has been selling the tubs that way and pretty much 99% of the spas sold in Canada have the LE step version. In Edmonton Alberta they sell well over 100 per year and its gets DAMN cold up there. Hope that gives you some insight on the equipment being outside the tub.

I was very much impressed with the Caldera, and almost bought one a couple of weeks back. I had a bad experience with our Caldera dealer in regard to servicing our previous Tiger River spa, otherwise I might have bought the Caldera Tahitian from them. (We went another direction and bought a Vita Nuage)

I also thought it was interesting that they have the C line of spas available for about $2500 cheaper than the Utopian line of spas. If the C45 would have fit in our location, we probably would have purchased this spa for right around $6k+tax - they could not drop a dime below $8k+tax for the Tahitian spa, that would have fit our space better. The funny thing is that they never mentioned the C line to me - I had to ask them about them.

Quality wise, our dealer explained that the Caldera's are manufactured right next to Hot Springs and that they are of exact same standards quality speaking. Not sure if this is the case or not, but when I compared to the two lines I was equally impressed with both HS and Caldera.

You are on the $$$ regarding wet testing. My wife and wet tested a ton of spas and both knew right away when we sat in the Nuage that it was the right spa for us. Going into the process, I figured they were all pretty much the same, and I was probably going to go the Costco route...glad I found this forum and decided to look around.

What other spas are you looking into and what features do you like/dislike about them?

We had the same experience as you with the C line. They arent pushing them you have to ask about them. You can get more spa for less cost. He explained they can do that because it only comes in two colors. I was looking at the C-35 I think it is 7.5'x 7.5' which is to big for us. I wet tested the Tahitian really nice, however a bit to expensive for us so Im thinking about the Hawiian whick is the same layout except no lounger and a few less jets. The one seat in the Tahitian its the corner seat and its left from the lounger seat when you divert more power to that seat it is extremely powerful.

I wet tested Jaccuzi the other day I like the spa not crazy about the feel of the jets, to soft. Didnt like the fisrt spa at Sundance I forget the name but it only had one pump. Them they put me in the Chellsee and one of its corner seat was really powerful but the other jets almost bite you, no thanks. Tryied the Flair at Hotsprings from ther new line Limelight and that is my number 2 pick right now. I still want to wet test D-1 and see what they have to offer.

Sounds like the dealer scammed you. I have sent back over 1000 circulation pumps and they have not denied any of them for warranty.

Most Cladera spas only have one single speed pump and 1 double speed pump. I think the spas should 2 double speed pumps. This means if it is a single speed it is off or full pressure to the jets. If they were both double speed it would give you a option of a gentle massage no matter what seat you sit in[/color].

That is what the diverter levers and air control valves are for. Each seat is able to be controlled.

Covers are covers. I'm not really sure what you mean by they " sag out of the box". Their covers are 2lb density v.s. most which are 1.5 lb or less. If they puddle water then your tub was probably not level and the taper of the cover was countered by the pitch of the pad that the tub was located on.

Does it not make sense that if the filter is dirty that it may not operate properly? That indicates to me that the tub has pressure switches and flow sensors that protect the heater from burning up when the customer has not properly maintained the tub. Some people may be annoyed by these error codes but they are better then calling a service tech out to replace a heater that has burned out because the tub lacked such preventative measures.

With my other line of spas Coleman they don't sell when comparing the two, Since the Colemans are $1000 cheaper.

I just realized that you were a dealer. Not trying to blast, but I'm guessing you have not been in business very long. Cheaper is not always better, as this has been debated in may threads in many ways. In the short term, cheaper spas may sell better, but the longevity and success of the business depend on much more then that.

sksk...

I really liked the D1 Aurora II - that one might be a good one to check out. I was not a fan of our local dealer or their prices, otherwise that was a spa that ranked high for us. Powerful foot jets, a nice lounger with adjustable neck pillows w/jets, quality build...cool control panel/touch display... this still was not as nice as the Caldera sps for what we wanted...

I was not a fan of the jacuzzi or sundance spas we looked at but we were looking for serious jet pressure/hydrotherapy from the spa, and these simply didn't measure up in that category.

daddyoh:

regarding prices for caldera...We almost pulled the trigger for the Caldera Tahitian after a long drawn out negotiation (we live in Colorado) for $8k+ tax all the reg stuff included. We could have gotten a C45 for a penny under 6k (panel was damaged in shipping and needed to be replaced, so it was a "scratch n dent" deal) or $6.5k for brand new+tax - C45 just wouldnt fit our space very well and i wanted the extra whirlpool jet that is not offered in the C45 compared to the utopian geneva/tahitian spas.

Im happy with the spa we ended up buying, but I would have been just as pleased with the Tahitian I think...i really liked caldera and thought it was the spa to beat until a last minute curveball pushed us another direction.

• 12 years later...

We bought our Caldera Tahitian from Basement and Backyards April of 2020 for almost $10K.  I wanted a cheaper spa but my husband wanted to spend more on a tub that would "not require much maintenance", little did we know that nothing would work correctly on this tub. We were excited about the healthier salt water system but unfortunately this spa's salt water system never worked despite dumping the water over 6 times and buying and installing at least 4 salt water cartridges. When we call Caldera they send us to the vendor.

We seem to have issues from the beginning, upon delivery of the tub we were told that the installers would know if the tub needed to be leveled.  The installers broke my pavers and told us no need to level the tub.  When the owner Derrick came out to get the tub/salt water up and running he told us we needed get the installers to come back and level the tub some of the jets were not underwater.  Over the next couple months we could not get the salt system to work correctly, Derrick sent out a guy who barely checked the tub and told us "it smells good and looks good so it must be good" however no chlorine would register in the tub without us manually adding.  For our anniversary we decided to buy the $600 stereo system since the tub was sold with speakers.  My husband spent 2 days on his hands and knees installing and getting other opinions of why the stereo would not work only to find out once Derrick sent his stereo guy out that the speakers  were bad and they would need to be replaced at their expense. Once they were installed we could never get the Bluetooth to connect to the phones so we could listen to music in the spa.

We are now 9 months in and we have never gotten the salt system to work, the tub foams every time we use it and stereo still won't connect. This tub would be great if it worked right but continues to disappoint.

27 minutes ago, cdt said:

We bought our Caldera Tahitian from Basement and Backyards April of 2020 for almost $10K.  I wanted a cheaper spa but my husband wanted to spend more on a tub that would "not require much maintenance", little did we know that nothing would work correctly on this tub. We were excited about the healthier salt water system but unfortunately this spa's salt water system never worked despite dumping the water over 6 times and buying and installing at least 4 salt water cartridges. When we call Caldera they send us to the vendor.

We seem to have issues from the beginning, upon delivery of the tub we were told that the installers would know if the tub needed to be leveled.  The installers broke my pavers and told us no need to level the tub.  When the owner Derrick came out to get the tub/salt water up and running he told us we needed get the installers to come back and level the tub some of the jets were not underwater.  Over the next couple months we could not get the salt system to work correctly, Derrick sent out a guy who barely checked the tub and told us "it smells good and looks good so it must be good" however no chlorine would register in the tub without us manually adding.  For our anniversary we decided to buy the $600 stereo system since the tub was sold with speakers.  My husband spent 2 days on his hands and knees installing and getting other opinions of why the stereo would not work only to find out once Derrick sent his stereo guy out that the speakers  were bad and they would need to be replaced at their expense. Once they were installed we could never get the Bluetooth to connect to the phones so we could listen to music in the spa.

We are now 9 months in and we have never gotten the salt system to work, the tub foams every time we use it and stereo still won't connect. This tub would be great if it worked right but continues to disappoint.

It's more useful to start a new thread than revive one that is 12 years old.  That being said......

It sounds like you don't have a great dealer.  If they do not properly understand how the salt system works, or water chemistry in general, I would seek out someone else.  Do you have a local Hot Spring dealer?  Same salt system so maybe they can be of more assistance.  What do you mean when saying the salt system didn't work?  Was it not producing chlorine?  Was the cartridge failing prematurely?  

As for the stereo.  I'm not personally a fan of music on hot tubs due to longevity issues with the speakers, but of the Hot Spring and Caldera models I have sold with music I have had zero issues with bluetooth connectivity and only a handful of bad speakers.  Have you gone through the pairing process?

Foam is not the hot tubs fault.  Foam is a result of something being introduced to the hot tub and in many scenarios it is laundry soap residue on swim suits.  Otherwise it is usually personal hygiene products coming off the body of bathers.

Watkins (Caldera) customer service is really good.  If you are not getting the help you need from your dealer reach out to them and let them know your issues.  At the very least they can get involved and work with your dealer to resolve the situation.

• Like 4