Watkins Sales Training

Guzz

Watkins, makers of the HotSpring Spa, have the best sales training program in the nation, so it was amusing to me to see an ad in a pool & spa magazine that was looking for sales people to sell Coleman Spas. It stated, "Watkins professional sales training prefered."

Does Watkins employ ex-life insurance salesman as trainers? I was at a home show this weekend and the first thing the HS salesperson asked was if I was concerned about the safety of my child because of the suction fittings utilized in other spas.

Does Watkins employ ex-life insurance salesman as trainers? I was at a home show this weekend and the first thing the HS salesperson asked was if I was concerned about the safety of my child because of the suction fittings utilized in other spas.

Unfortunately not all Hotspring sales people have attended the classes, so there are still some gumbas out there.

Watkins, makers of the HotSpring Spa, have the best sales training program in the nation, so it was amusing to me to see an ad in a pool & spa magazine that was looking for sales people to sell Coleman Spas. It stated, "Watkins professional sales training prefered."

Anytime someone says the word "Best" in reference to their product or related business performance or services, it sure makes intelligent people wonder. Best spa sales training maybe, but determined by who? I think if Hotspring really had the number one sales training program, they would teach dealers and salesman not to do self promotion posts on forums like you see all to often here. Frankly it makes some of us wonder why HS sales people try so hard to convince everyone that everything about a Hotsprings spa and Watkins company is the best. If you have a quality product let that product and reputation speak for itself. Do everyone a favor and leave the used car salemanship mentality at your showroom floor. Dealer posts in the forums should instead provide valuable information about your quality product line.

Anytime someone says the word "Best" in reference to their product or related business performance or services, it sure makes intelligent people wonder. Best spa sales training maybe, but determined by who? I think if Hotspring really had the number one sales training program, they would teach dealers and salesman not to do self promotion posts on forums like you see all to often here. Frankly it makes some of us wonder why HS sales people try so hard to convince everyone that everything about a Hotsprings spa and Watkins company is the best. If you have a quality product let that product and reputation speak for itself. Do everyone a favor and leave the used car salemanship mentality at your showroom floor. Dealer posts in the forums should instead provide valuable information about your quality product line.

Thats why we all get on these forums. We know its going to generate a lot of spa sales for us. Give me a break.

I've never said that Hotspring spas are the best, there is no best spa, the best spa is the one that's right for you. I'm here to help people however I can with the limited knowledge I have. I am not self promoting, but I am proud of the product I sell. As far as the sales training thing goes, I was just sharing something I came across in a magazine, which after re-reading it, I see that it was not Coleman spas, but a Hotspring dealer called Coleman.

Who says Watkins has the best sales training, I do! Unfortunaltely not all Hotspring sales people choose to do it, but if they did there would be a lot more happy consumers out there, because they train you to shut up and listen to peoples needs and concerns. And guess what, when you do that the product does speak for itself.

Thats why we all get on these forums. We know its going to generate a lot of spa sales for us. Give me a break.

I will agree with you on that, I don't believe these tactics are going to generate many sales. And yes break from the constant HS sales routine would be nice, after all according to you folks its got the best insulation, warranty, filtration system, jet design, ozone system, spa stereo and now corporate sales training program to boot. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now think about it, be real and give us the much needed break. Hotsprings makes a nice product, let the product sell itself. Offer good information about it to would be buyers, use discretion when you use the word "best" to describe your product. No need to trample the competition, sometimes it has an adverse effect. BTW I don't sell any other brand of spa and am not a HS hater.

I will agree with you on that, I don't believe these tactics are going to generate many sales. And yes break from the constant HS sales routine would be nice, after all according to you folks its got the best insulation, warranty, filtration system, jet design, ozone system, spa stereo and now corporate sales training program to boot. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now think about it, be real and give us the much needed break. Hotsprings makes a nice product, let the product sell itself. Offer good information about it to would be buyers, use discretion when you use the word "best" to describe your product. No need to trample the competition, sometimes it has an adverse effect. BTW I don't sell any other brand of spa and am not a HS hater.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If someone asks for an opinion their going to get it. If you need a break from that I'd suggest you take a break from this forum. Every dealer on this forum represents a particular product and I'm sure if you go back and read threads all through this forum you could find examples that you could say are their "sales routine". I dont believe you could go back through any of the threads and find where I said our product is the best but I'll bet if you ask ANY dealer if their product is the best their going to tell you yes. And they should believe in what they are selling or they shouldnt be selling it. I'm going to continue to give my opinion on the products that I work on every day and if that happens to rub you the wrong way then so be it.

Frankly I'm getting sick of listening to people whine about others giving their opinion, I thought this was a forum.

Selling HotSprings is very easy. Unfortunately, some salespeople out there havent realized they do not have to "sell" HotSprings spas. They sell themselves.

If HS spas are so easy to sell and sell themselves, why does HS have a sales training program? I'm sorry, I have to disagree that they sell themselves...HS spas aren't THAT good. I seriously considered an HS tub but I wasn't sold one and I'm sure there are many, many more people who are similar. I would suggest salesmanship rule #1: Don't underestimate the competition. Painting a picture that HS sells themselves is underestimating the competition...and you may be short-selling yourself. It is good that you believe in the product you represent to the degree that you do but don't think for a moment that everyone believes what you believe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If someone asks for an opinion their going to get it. If you need a break from that I'd suggest you take a break from this forum. Every dealer on this forum represents a particular product and I'm sure if you go back and read threads all through this forum you could find examples that you could say are their "sales routine". I dont believe you could go back through any of the threads and find where I said our product is the best but I'll bet if you ask ANY dealer if their product is the best their going to tell you yes. And they should believe in what they are selling or they shouldnt be selling it. I'm going to continue to give my opinion on the products that I work on every day and if that happens to rub you the wrong way then so be it.

Frankly I'm getting sick of listening to people whine about others giving their opinion, I thought this was a forum.

You have to remember that HS or Watkins advertises and promotes from the top down approach. I think that HS is the only manufacturer of spa's that advertises from the corporate level right to end users. They put a ton of money promoting it on TV and charge more for the tub in affect given the same quality as say Coleman, Master or thermospa. Some of that money being invested into TV, papers, publicity, and ect... could be used for a little more quality or lower costs in the spa manufacturing process or efficiency for better lead time. In my opinion I think that other Manufacturers should do the same as HS. Who is to say that the sales training from HS is the best? How about the critics who rate the "Circle of Excellence" class as well?

You have to remember that HS or Watkins advertises and promotes from the top down approach. I think that HS is the only manufacturer of spa's that advertises from the corporate level right to end users. They put a ton of money promoting it on TV and charge more for the tub in affect given the same quality as say Coleman, Master or thermospa. Some of that money being invested into TV, papers, publicity, and ect... could be used for a little more quality or lower costs in the spa manufacturing process or efficiency for better lead time.

IPB Image

WRONG!

1. Master and Thermo are both bombarding the airwaves with television commercials. I have also seen Sundance and Jacuzzi do the same. They are corporate commercials.

2. Equal Quality? When I begin running across dozens of the above mentioned spas that are 25+ years old and still in use as frequently as I see 25+ year old HotSpring Spas, I might give this statement some credence. Here is a little comparison I recently posted between what I sell and what others sell:

Little Tyke Spas and Da Mean Ol' Alligator

3. Lower Costs/ Lead Times- HotSpring did not raise their prices from 2005-2006 DESPITE adding ozonators and stainless steel escutcheons as standard equipment. I also had an occasion where a customer wanted a sand colored Prodigy with espresso cabinet (not standard offering). I ordered it on Monday, it left the factory headed my way Tuesday. No charge to the customer.

As far as sales training, who cares. I will say in every single training session I've been involved with, Watkins is the ONLY company where the competition is NEVER mentioned by name, especially in a negative fashion.

:)

Terminator

You have to remember that HS or Watkins advertises and promotes from the top down approach. I think that HS is the only manufacturer of spa's that advertises from the corporate level right to end users. They put a ton of money promoting it on TV and charge more for the tub in affect given the same quality as say Coleman, Master or thermospa. Some of that money being invested into TV, papers, publicity, and ect... could be used for a little more quality or lower costs in the spa manufacturing process or efficiency for better lead time. In my opinion I think that other Manufacturers should do the same as HS. Who is to say that the sales training from HS is the best? How about the critics who rate the "Circle of Excellence" class as well?

Brulan, you are way off base on this one,how you can compare even your own coleman spa to a thermo spa blows my mind, your coleman is way better than a thermo. I mean, you have a real warranty and service personel. And my Texas friend is correct, HotSprings had no price increase, and are actually a lot less expensive than some spas out there of lesser quality.

Brulan, you are way off base on this one,how you can compare even your own coleman spa to a thermo spa blows my mind, your coleman is way better than a thermo. I mean, you have a real warranty and service personel. And my Texas friend is correct, HotSprings had no price increase, and are actually a lot less expensive than some spas out there of lesser quality.

I agree that HS is of way better quality for the price out there and for thermospa I realize this also. HS is the best competitior on the block and is my worst fear because I know it is built great. There will always be goods and bads but HS's has it down to a science with no suction 100percent circulating pump no bypass. There are other tubs that are more compfortable in my opinion but that is just my opinion.

No other company actually advertises right to the end consumer from a corporate standpoint which I think is fabulous.

If HS spas are so easy to sell and sell themselves, why does HS have a sales training program? I'm sorry, I have to disagree that they sell themselves...HS spas aren't THAT good. I seriously considered an HS tub but I wasn't sold one and I'm sure there are many, many more people who are similar. I would suggest salesmanship rule #1: Don't underestimate the competition. Painting a picture that HS sells themselves is underestimating the competition...and you may be short-selling yourself. It is good that you believe in the product you represent to the degree that you do but don't think for a moment that everyone believes what you believe.

I agree with this. I know when I first started in the industry (with what I believe to be a very high quality spa to represent) my lack of knowledge, and confidence reflected poorly at times. Through self education and awareness that I should constantly be learning and updating information in the industry, it has helped me understand what is available in the market and be able to "keep up" with the changes of the times. Windsurfdog hit the nail on the "button" (as some folks call it) when he wrote never underestimate the competition. There is always going to be someone smarter, friendlier, and more eloquent than myself and to think otherwise would be obtuse. My goal (especially as a woman in this industry) is to always continue learning and getting better than the day before. Every day there are many tests of our abilities as an individual and as a salesperson. It seems to me to be a good idea to try to "ace" each one, and when I do not- I learn from it. The more I learn, the better I can serve people. Serving peoples needs is what sales is about in my opinion. I'm curious to know what the "other" salesmanship rules are. Basic ethics is in there somewhere.

I agree with this. I know when I first started in the industry (with what I believe to be a very high quality spa to represent) my lack of knowledge, and confidence reflected poorly at times. Through self education and awareness that I should constantly be learning and updating information in the industry, it has helped me understand what is available in the market and be able to "keep up" with the changes of the times. Windsurfdog hit the nail on the "button" (as some folks call it) when he wrote never underestimate the competition. There is always going to be someone smarter, friendlier, and more eloquent than myself and to think otherwise would be obtuse. My goal (especially as a woman in this industry) is to always continue learning and getting better than the day before. Every day there are many tests of our abilities as an individual and as a salesperson. It seems to me to be a good idea to try to "ace" each one, and when I do not- I learn from it. The more I learn, the better I can serve people. Serving peoples needs is what sales is about in my opinion. I'm curious to know what the "other" salesmanship rules are. Basic ethics is in there somewhere.

I think 25% of the sale is the person selling the product. The other 75%=dealer, manufacturer, and compfortablility.