Can You Use A Forklift To Set A Spa In Place?

Rob W

I'll need to lift the spa about 7 ft onto a deck. The spa is around 800lbs and 7.5ft x 7.5ft. I brought this option up to the spa dealer earlier and he didn't think it would work. I'm trying to find an alternative to using a crane. The crane company came out today and also suggested the possibility of a forklift. Since I have conflicting opinions I'd like to get a few more.

If you had concrete or pavement in the area that the forklift is going on then it should be no problem but you need to have fork extensions to properly move a spa as the regular forks are too short and would dig into the underside of the spa. If the area is dirt or grass the forklift will end up digging into the ground with the wheels trying to line up then will get stuck. A stuck forklift is not fun to get out.

If you had concrete or pavement in the area that the forklift is going on then it should be no problem but you need to have fork extensions to properly move a spa as the regular forks are too short and would dig into the underside of the spa. If the area is dirt or grass the forklift will end up digging into the ground with the wheels trying to line up then will get stuck. A stuck forklift is not fun to get out.

OK...thanks. The surface right now is basically 'fill' and consists of dirt and rocks so maybe not a good idea.

OK...thanks. The surface right now is basically 'fill' and consists of dirt and rocks so maybe not a good idea.

A BOOM should cost around 250 bucks

Yep...$140 per hr, and a 2 hr minimum = $280. Not that bad when you figure you're spending $8K anyway :lol:

Rough terrain forklift and extensions no problem, less expensive than a crane. Done it many times.

Some suburban areas have restrictions into yards due to size or may be other obscicles prohibiting further unto the delivery process, Roger. :rolleyes: I still havn't witnessed a flying forklift.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll need to lift the spa about 7 ft onto a deck. The spa is around 800lbs and 7.5ft x 7.5ft. I brought this option up to the spa dealer earlier and he didn't think it would work. I'm trying to find an alternative to using a crane. The crane company came out today and also suggested the possibility of a forklift. Since I have conflicting opinions I'd like to get a few more.

You must have some obstructions in the way - trees, or electrical wiring, or maybe an unlevel surface????. Or, perhaps your neighbor's home is too close????. I ordered a Crane Co. to move my spa. They lifted the spa COMPLETELY over my house and trees. And my spa is 8-ft x 8-ft. It took them a little over 20-minutes.