Photo Of Poorly Insulated Hot Tub

In the now-closed Costco Infinity Sun Peak thread, there was a post made yesterday by 'Tom' the "Communications Director" (according to his sig) of Arctic Spas in which he posted a photo of a poorly insulated hot tub and then later identified it as a Costco Hot Tub made by Hydrospa by posting: "The person who gave me the photo identified it as a Costco unit from Hydrospa (and I have no reason to doubt her veracity)." I am the owner of a Platinum Elite 2 tub sold by Costco and made by Hydrospa so I knew immediately that it was not a photo of a Hydrospa hot tub. Here is the link to the photo:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s173/Ar.../CostcoTub2.jpg

I don't know if the picture will last at photobucket long enough to be used for this thread but there are two identifying characteristics that show that the tub is NOT a Costco Hydrospa tub. First, the cover shown in the photo is only 2 inches thick. Hydrospa covers on the Costco tubs are all 3 inches thick at their thinnest spot and increase to 5 inches at the center. Second, the tie-down strap in the photo is shown at the corner of the cover. The Costco Hydrospa tubs all have the tie-downs located in the middle of each of the four sides of the cover. Bottom line is that even though the photo quality is poor, it is obviously not a photo of a Costco Hydrospa tub. I suspect that 'Tom' knows that but chooses to use the photo to denigrate the Costco tub.

Finally, 'Tom' is apparently a moderator in this forum and appears to be the person who closed the thread (after he posted his comment) so it's likely that this post will be quickly deleted as well or the thread will be closed.

In the now-closed Costco Infinity Sun Peak thread, there was a post made yesterday by 'Tom' the "Communications Director" (according to his sig) of Arctic Spas in which he posted a photo of a poorly insulated hot tub and then later identified it as a Costco Hot Tub made by Hydrospa by posting: "The person who gave me the photo identified it as a Costco unit from Hydrospa (and I have no reason to doubt her veracity)." I am the owner of a Platinum Elite 2 tub sold by Costco and made by Hydrospa so I knew immediately that it was not a photo of a Hydrospa hot tub. Here is the link to the photo:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s173/Ar.../CostcoTub2.jpg

I don't know if the picture will last at photobucket long enough to be used for this thread but there are two identifying characteristics that show that the tub is NOT a Costco Hydrospa tub. First, the cover shown in the photo is only 2 inches thick. Hydrospa covers on the Costco tubs are all 3 inches thick at their thinnest spot and increase to 5 inches at the center. Second, the tie-down strap in the photo is shown at the corner of the cover. The Costco Hydrospa tubs all have the tie-downs located in the middle of each of the four sides of the cover. Bottom line is that even though the photo quality is poor, it is obviously not a photo of a Costco Hydrospa tub. I suspect that 'Tom' knows that but chooses to use the photo to denigrate the Costco tub.

Finally, 'Tom' is apparently a moderator in this forum and appears to be the person who closed the thread (after he posted his comment) so it's likely that this post will be quickly deleted as well or the thread will be closed.

Is it costco or the spa company you work for??? i thought you had a pic of your Bubble wrap insulated tub :rolleyes: .

I'm very disapointed :rolleyes:

Yes, I hate it that Tom gets the last word in on threads! :)

You can clearly see that is a costco tub from the picture...just as easy as you can see this is a dachshund in this photo.

Dogsnose.jpg

That looks just like next doors Dachhund.

John 104 Degrees

Im curious on how you can measure that the cover is 2" not 3" from the photo???

The same way he determined Tom closed the thread he mentioned. ASSUMPTION

btw............ I closed the thread :rolleyes:

He's also assuming costco / hydrospas uses the exact same style of cover on every tub they sell.

The same way he determined Tom closed the thread he mentioned. ASSUMPTION

He's also assuming costco / hydrospas uses the exact same style of cover on every tub they sell.

From the post below on that thread I would have also made the same ASSUMPTION....if you closed it why would Tom post something after its closed?

True, it could even be an aftermarket cover...but from the picture there is no way to know what spa it is...and I agree...if you dont know for sure...dont say it...regardless what anyone says it is.

Tom

Rating: 5

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

post Today, 02:20 PM

Post #299

QUOTE(spatech (the unreal one) @ Aug 23 2007, 12:18 PM) *

I concur, it needs a fork stuck into it.

Fork stuck. Thread closed for now so we can all get back to work.

--------------------

Poolspaforum.com Moderator

Communications Officer

Arctic Spas

From the post below on that thread I would have also made the same ASSUMPTION....if you closed it why would Tom post something after its closed?

True, it could even be an aftermarket cover...but from the picture there is no way to know what spa it is...and I agree...if you dont know for sure...dont say it...regardless what anyone says it is.

Tom

Rating: 5

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

post Today, 02:20 PM

Post #299

QUOTE(spatech (the unreal one) @ Aug 23 2007, 12:18 PM) *

I concur, it needs a fork stuck into it.

Fork stuck. Thread closed for now so we can all get back to work.

--------------------

Poolspaforum.com Moderator

Communications Officer

Arctic Spas

CAN YOU TAKE THE SIDES OFF!!!!!!!!

That is obviously not a Costco tub - the insulation I see in the picture is about twice as thick as the insulation I found under the Hydrospas Costco hot tub I returned a few weeks ago. It DID have that silver bubblewrap thermal blanket crap but they must have ran out because it didn't go all the way around. I guess they couldn't seal it up too good, otherwise how would all the water drain from the various leaks?

/disgruntled

That is obviously not a Costco tub - the insulation I see in the picture is about twice as thick as the insulation I found under the Hydrospas Costco hot tub I returned a few weeks ago. It DID have that silver bubblewrap thermal blanket crap but they must have ran out because it didn't go all the way around. I guess they couldn't seal it up too good, otherwise how would all the water drain from the various leaks?

/disgruntled

Man, good thing you had that Costco lifetime protection warranty, allowing you to return the malfunctioning spa so easily and without question.

Say, when did you buy the spa and what Hydro model was it?

/disgruntled

Man, good thing you had that Costco lifetime protection warranty, allowing you to return the malfunctioning spa so easily and without question.

What I would like to know is which Costco store he returned it to?

/disgruntled

You shouldn't be disgruntled. You "got" them back pretty good if you really filled up the wall lining of your tub with the umpty-ump cans of polyurethane expanding insulating foam like you said you did. Someone at Costco probably had to dig all of the that s**t out of the tub in order to get it back in shape. They won't forget you in a hurry. So did you leave the tub out in freezing weather with water in the tubing to get it to have the "various leaks?" Must have been something like that. Probably Costco did it, right?

/disgruntled

I bought a Platinum III (that's what the receipt from Costco said), otherwise known as a Legend - at the end of May. It sat in the garage until early July when the concrete/wiring were ready.

I don't think it had a lifetime protection warranty - more like no warranty at all. When you call the company to get a leak fixed, a bottle of stop-leak arrives at your home 2 weeks later. Now that is a fantastic warranty! Luckily, Costco let me realize my mistake and return the POS - after I wasted a good portion of my summer messing around.

/disgruntled

I bought a Platinum III (that's what the receipt from Costco said), otherwise known as a Legend - at the end of May. It sat in the garage until early July when the concrete/wiring were ready.

I don't think it had a lifetime protection warranty - more like no warranty at all. When you call the company to get a leak fixed, a bottle of stop-leak arrives at your home 2 weeks later. Now that is a fantastic warranty! Luckily, Costco let me realize my mistake and return the POS - after I wasted a good portion of my summer messing around.

So why did you add all of the polyurethane foam if you bought it in May, installed it in July, and returned it in early August? What were you doing? Planning ahead for the arctic blast? Or were you just implementing your 'design changes?' lol.

I think personally I'm just about done reading all these post in this and all hot tub forums since none of them have done me any justice in finding a decent hot tub at a reasonble price (remember this is just a tub full of heated water) nothing new and certainly not rocket science my cheap a-- no name bath tub with a heater and jets have served us well for the past 6 years With not one single problem coporate america wake-up no longer we the consumers will tolerate the greed so count me out for now I will do my own realistic comparision but I wil not be willing to spend $10,000.00 or even $7000.00 dollars for a tub of hot water for now I'm still decideiding what to get more than likely a used one or dealer thats willing to work w/ us that's all for now

I think personally I'm just about done reading all these post in this and all hot tub forums since none of them have done me any justice in finding a decent hot tub at a reasonble price (remember this is just a tub full of heated water) nothing new and certainly not rocket science my cheap a-- no name bath tub with a heater and jets have served us well for the past 6 years With not one single problem coporate america wake-up no longer we the consumers will tolerate the greed so count me out for now I will do my own realistic comparision but I wil not be willing to spend $10,000.00 or even $7000.00 dollars for a tub of hot water for now I'm still decideiding what to get more than likely a used one or dealer thats willing to work w/ us that's all for now

You will get many opinions but the one you need to trust is your own...buy what you like, what you can afford. Its just like buying any item you are going to be sinking some money into...you have to be satisfied with your purchase. If you go with a dealer make sure get in writing what you are agreeing on. You cant possibly know from talking to anyone on this board what "your" experience is going to be like and they also aren't going to be able to tell you what a reasonable price is...thats your call.

Find a tub you like in your budget, find out what the warranty is, find out what you will get from the dealer, look at your climate, think about your electric bill, decide on options, think about your water and when you have brain f**cked it way more than you need just pull the trigger on one you like. It really is just a roll of the dice...hope you get a good product with no defects that is affordable to you and last for as long as you feel it should. My only suggestion is I wouldnt go with a used tub unless I had someone who knew about tubs check it out...bad water and neglect can ruin a tub.

When you plop down in your tub as long as your happy with it it doesn't matter what anyone says. Good luck with your decision!! I am going to hop in my Legend now....its 101 on a beautiful Florida night...a lite breeze blowing....stars out....and tomorrow is Friday!! Have a good weekend!

Yes, I hate it that Tom gets the last word in on threads! :)

Well, Tom or Dr. Spa or Chas or Crystal or Franci, all of whom are on the moderating team.

Here’s a suggestion. With all this debate of the insulation of the Hydro and now the added suspense of the “picture” that may or may not be a Costco Hydro spa. Why doesn’t one of the Hydro owners just take a picture or pictures of the inside of the hot tub? Maybe NW could take some pics of one of the ones at the factory that hasn’t completely been installed. 