My Own Personal Costco Tub Experience

duck_man

There's a ton of crap floating around here about the Costco tubs so here's what happened to me.

I bought a Platinum tub from Costco. $6000 tub - tons of goodies, lots of jets, etc. I have had a hot tub before - an Arctic Yukon, so I knew what I could potentially be getting myself into. Thought I'd give it a try - it's Costco after all, where I have always had good experiences with their products and I could return it if it's crap!

First (before I bought it) I called HydroSpas and asked them about the insulation. They assured me it was double-insulated for Canada's climate and it would not be a problem to add more. I just needed to let them know. They assured me it would not affect warranty.

I got it home, took it all apart and checked out the insulation - or rather, lack of insulation. There was about 3/4" of crappy white styrofoam sheets - some panels didn't have any or were not completely covered. Then it was wrapped in silver bubble-wrap stuff. Except it didn't make it all the way around the tub - there was about a foot missing. Nice.

I re-insulated with about 10 cans of foam and some 2" styro. I did the best I could, but many of the plumbing lines run so close to the edges I could not get any insulation behind them. I wonder if they could freeze when it's -30 here because they are so close to the edges? The re-insulating took about 8 hours. I fixed all the kinked hoses too.

I finally got the tub into position and hooked up. It fired up and heated up fine. The stereo didn't work though. I pulled it all apart again and found that many of the connections were not making contact. They had used standard 12v crimp-type automotive connectors but crimped them with the wrong pliers. They mostly came apart in my hands. I'm an AV guy by trade so I fixed it. There's another hour down the drain.

The lights didn't work properly. One of the little modules had a bad connection so I fixed it. Troubleshooting and repair, another hour.

One of the jets was leaking instantly. The seal in the tub wasn't seated properly. Fixed by me. Another leak sprung up the next day. Fixed it. Now there are many more leaks, some I can't get at. I think the bottom foot jets are leaking. I spend the majority of my weekend leisure time lately filling the tub, taking it apart or putting it back together. It's garbage.

I called HydroSpas and they sent out a bottle of stop-leak. What the hell? Where's the technician?

I LOVE the spa - sort of - it's comfortable and I like the lights and stereo (now that they work). The jets are well placed and we go in it every day...but it's getting returned this weekend. Even with my extra insulation, I'm not convinced I can afford or justify keeping this piece of crap hot all winter.

The only reason I can see that Hydro gets away with this is because they don't see the returned tubs again - Costco seems to send all it's returns to auction and it ends up in the 'last chance' liquidation places.

Oh well, I tried. I had a hunch it might be junk and I was correct. Now, off to get a real tub.

$6,000 can get you a good quality spa, but it will not have a colored lights, stereo, stainless steel escutcheons, fewer jets.

Sorry for your problems. you can get a full foam spa for 6.

John 104 degrees

From what I've seen/heard - and I'm still no expert - I'm not at all interested in a full-foam spa, more efficient or not. Seems kind of like buying a car with the hood welded shut.

I had an Arctic that was not expensive to operate but of late I've seen a lot of unhappy Arctic owners. . . but not too many people with NO problems will come on a forum and scream about their fantastic tub. You only hear the complaints. Some justified, some not.

I'd give up the stereo - I can do my own in the gazebo that will be built. The lights are neat though and I want them. Waterfall? Nah.

]

From what I've seen/heard - and I'm still no expert - I'm not at all interested in a full-foam spa, more efficient or not. Seems kind of like buying a car with the hood welded shut.

I had an Arctic that was not expensive to operate but of late I've seen a lot of unhappy Arctic owners. . . but not too many people with NO problems will come on a forum and scream about their fantastic tub. You only hear the complaints. Some justified, some not.

It might be hard to find a TP spa that works well in the cold. i'm no expert but arctic does tp i think the best but i have heard some things to.

John

I'd give up the stereo - I can do my own in the gazebo that will be built. The lights are neat though and I want them. Waterfall? Nah.

I'm getting a new Crown Xl with the lights and stanless jets. the nordic Crown xl is tp but you will need to add some insulation.

John

I understand why you may think that way but that is not a good analogy. Forget about operation cost, the one thing I dislike about non-full foam spas is the weight on the plumbing. I have been servicing spas for a long time and I fix way more leaks with TP spas. Even the full foam ones are not hard to find or fix, that is a story made up by people who sell TP spas or have never fixed them. Most of my full foam leak fixes are less than three hours.

The analogy is a bit off target.

A few times per year my vehicle hood has to be opened to be serviced (hopefully just for routine maintenance). Every once in a while I have to open the spa equipment compartment to get inside (no real routine maintenance needed but sometimes ...). Both need access and both have it so I can see an anology there.

As far as the other 3 sides of the spa goes, I know that there can be exceptions where people have a problem but I've had a full foam spa in my yard for about 8 years now but I've never had to take the other 3 sides off to get at the spa and don't suspect I'll have to for the next 8 years.

As far as the other 3 sides of the spa goes, I know that there can be excepetions where people have a problem but I've had a full foam spa in my yard for about 8 years now but I've never had to take the other 3 sides off to get at the spa and don't suspect I'll have to for the next 8 years.

I have had my Crown xl for 5 years. i have moved it twice(rolled it) and have never had a leak.

I expect my crown not to leak till i get my new crown Xl.the crown only has foam sprayed on the shell and pluming or TP.

If i could get a Crown xl Full Foam i would. CT can get cold.

John 104 degrees

Couple things came to mind while reading your story Duckman...

You seem like a sharp guy yet you went from an Arctic to a Costco tub? Anytime you need to call a manufacturer and they say they can "add insulation", it's kind of a big red flag isn't it? Did you not look in the spa prior to purchasing it as it seems many of the inefficiencies you have mentioned are easily seen if one knows what to look for (like yourself).

I guess what I'm saying is that you knew you were getting a sub par product even prior to the purchase and that's easily seen when you read between the lines of your story.

Your take on FF spas is flawed and it sounds like you have fallen victim to a sales pitch. I'm sure that since you've purchased an Arctic spa previously, that this is where the seed was planted. Too bad...

Leaks, as mentioned here by real techs, are more common in a TP design due to lack of support of the plumbing. Yes, it is more difficult to repair a FF spa but 99% of repairs are within the pump area and not within the cabinet itself. Making this purchase based on FF or TP is a HUGE mistake made by consumers that have either fallen into the sales BS or just not educated themselves properly for this purchase. Often, it's both.

I'm having a tough time feeling sorry for you as you knew most of this, though I wish Costco sold better spas and consumers like yourself didn't have to go through this sort of crap for a product that's designed to give relaxation to the end user.

Steve

The difference between yourself and many other buyers of the spa is that you actually looked under the skin of your spa and saw what was there/or not there, most people will not do that but what you saw is what many of the people here who sometimes are accused of having a bias know that to hit that price point for all of what a person thinks there getting something has to give. You saw the workmanship of your spa, kinked hoses the way the plumbing is run in a spa can make a huge difference in performance most people make the assumption that all spas with (2) 5 HP pumps will perform about the same the reality is they may not be close, the better built and engineered spas will perform better as they simply are using all the pieces to the puzzle in a more coherent way.

You seem like a sharp guy yet you went from an Arctic to a Costco tub? Anytime you need to call a manufacturer and they say they can "add insulation", it's kind of a big red flag isn't it? Did you not look in the spa prior to purchasing it as it seems many of the inefficiencies you have mentioned are easily seen if one knows what to look for (like yourself).

I never got the chance to look at the 'guts' until I got the thing home. The Arctic I had was about 8 years old, very basic (1 pump, 21 jets, little lighting, etc.) and at the time, affordable. they seem to have raised their price now that their name is out there and semi-reputable. My experience with it: it had great insulation, as far as I can tell. Other than that, it was a simple tub. I've seen better and worse. Plus, I'm the type of person that, no matter what I buy or where, some improvement or modification is made to suit my personal expectations or tastes. I'm a tinkerer/amateur engineer :)

I guess what I'm saying is that you knew you were getting a sub par product even prior to the purchase and that's easily seen when you read between the lines of your story.

I have faith in Costco for the most part as everything else I buy there is stellar. I thought taking a chance on their tub would be worthwhile, since most of the crap I read on the internet doesn't exactly come from rock solid sources. Hell, if I look hard enough I can find bad things about every tub. I guess I should just go without? Besides, like I stated - I CAN TAKE IT BACK. If I don't like/have problems with XXX or YYY brand tub, after 3 months will they refund the entire price in cash with a smile on their face? No. BUT at the same time, If I have a problem, will they be more likely to help? Yes. My idea was if I could tinker a little bit and save $6000 then great! If not, I'm out nothing but some time. Lately, however, I'm short on time and the novelty has worn off.

Your take on FF spas is flawed and it sounds like you have fallen victim to a sales pitch. I'm sure that since you've purchased an Arctic spa previously, that this is where the seed was planted. Too bad...

I'm not an expert. It's simply my observations. I may one day have an FF spa.

I don't remember ever discussing the insulation when I purchased the last tub (and I was a mere 22 years old and didn't care). I knew 2 other people with Arctic tubs that they liked and that was enough for me. I know more now. AND electricity is more expensive, so I'm starting to care how much I waste heating a crappy hot tub.

Leaks, as mentioned here by real techs, are more common in a TP design due to lack of support of the plumbing. Yes, it is more difficult to repair a FF spa but 99% of repairs are within the pump area and not within the cabinet itself. Making this purchase based on FF or TP is a HUGE mistake made by consumers that have either fallen into the sales BS or just not educated themselves properly for this purchase. Often, it's both.

The leaks I found were the product of bad installation - seals not seated etc. the ones I haven't been able to pinpoint yet, on the other hand, I don't know. I DO know that this particular tub has some very evident and serious build-quality issues that make it a waste of my time to try to improve on.

I'm having a tough time feeling sorry for you as you knew most of this, though I wish Costco sold better spas and consumers like yourself didn't have to go through this sort of crap for a product that's designed to give relaxation to the end user.

I'm not looking for people to feel sorry for me. I simply thought I'd share my experience, as most of what I see on this board can be interpreted as a bunch of juvenile bashing of XXX brand or YYYY brand by a bunch of people who seem to have no argument and instead make personal assaults. Not EVERYONE, but several people. I don't want people who aren't patient, handy 'tinkerers' to make a mistake and buy a nightmare and spend their weekends and evenings pulling the panels off their tubs instead of drinking beer IN their tubs.

I'm looking at a Pacific Calypso now with the Prestige package, at a spa dealer that's been around for a while. I believe it's FF. If I buy it, I'll have experience with both types and have a more informed opinion. AND if I need help there may just be someone to assist me.

I appreciate all of the useful opinions and help I receive here so I now ask - are there any reasons to avoid the Pacific?

Man its a VERY VERY VERY good thing your handy, would hate to see if that was a 60 year old lady who bought that tub, might be a 6000 lawn orniement.

Yes that was my point not many people ever would look or would have the where abouts to do so, here is the real deal about the Costco spa its made for them by a company that has a reputation of building a mediocre product you can put diamonds and a evening grown on a pig but at the end of the night its still a pig, I am not saying they are a bad spa but simply that there is a reason they're priced the way they are. I mentioned this in another thread but KIA is a KIA and BMW is a BMW both may look on paper to be close in features but they are not built to the same standards, again thats not to say that if you have realistic expectation you would not be happy with a KIA just don't buy it and think or more importantly try to tell people you got the same thing as a BMW, you did not, but you may have the right product for yourself and hopefully it will serve you well for many years.

I have faith in Costco for the most part as everything else I buy there is stellar. I thought taking a chance on their tub would be worthwhile, since most of the crap I read on the internet doesn't exactly come from rock solid sources. Hell, if I look hard enough I can find bad things about every tub. I guess I should just go without? Besides, like I stated - I CAN TAKE IT BACK.

I'm just not getting this...

People choose to buy at Costco because the last hammer they bought was a good quality hammer? Or the new light for the hallway works real well?

We're talking a hot tub here people and not something you throw into your trunk and return. I just don't buy into this "return policy" as a reason to buy?

It's too bad you didn't get the oportunity to explore all of this prior to the purchase but then again, you've most likely thought of that and wished you could have done things differently too...

Two other quick mentions...

I do know Beachcomber has a 30 day gurantee and other spas offer similar return policies for these cases. Secondly, tampering with a new spa and adding or deleting componants could void your warranty.

Pacific (Aber) makes a decent mid line spa. Best of luck to ya in your new search!

Steve

We're talking a hot tub here people and not something you throw into your trunk and return. I just don't buy into this "return policy" as a reason to buy?

When looking at tub when I was shopping I couldn't fathom why a dealer wouldn't offer a return policy on their tubs. Nobody wants to spend that kind of money and be stuck with a tub that they aren't happy with for whatever (legitimate) reason. Not because you decided you didnt like it but because of any of the operational issues that would make someone not get that warm and fuzzy feeling after the sale.

I feel that if I spend 10k or more on a tub, it wouldn't make me feel good to have a product show up and have issues right off. You could have 6 repair techs and the store owner himself standing there and I wouldnt want to keep it, but thats me.

When I decided to pull the trigger on my purchase I felt either way I was taking a chance...I just felt my odds more toward the costco purchase.....since 35 days into it if I was experiencing any of the issues that have been dissected on this forum you could bet I would be hauling it right back up there and getting my money back. Maybe had I not experienced that used car dealership mentality when visiting spa dealers and I could expect a manufacturer/dealer to take care of me in the event I had issues I could find value...but I dont see that value.

I for one am glad costco was an option for me....I have always said...its not for everyone....we all have our own decisions to make. Good luck in yours!!

I do agree that there's value in having your dealer look after issues but returning the spa is something less than 1% of the buying public actually does and therefore should equate to about 1% of the value of the return policy.

I agree that failure anytime in the first year is tough to swallow but the same people that feel the tub should be replaced after spending $6000 on it are the same people that took their $50,000 car back into the shop for "repair" without question after something failed on it. For some reason, we are more forgiving with our cars than a spa purchase of far less cost...

After 12 years in spa retail sales, I know of 1 person that returned their spa and 2 others that exchanged it within that 30 day period that we offered.

All I'm saying that we need to keep perspective here and not mislead the buying public that this "feature" of returning the spa has greater value than it really does. Personally, it wouldn't make my top 50 in "things to look for when buying a spa".

Steve

When looking at tub when I was shopping I couldn't fathom why a dealer wouldn't offer a return policy on their tubs. Nobody wants to spend that kind of money and be stuck with a tub that they aren't happy with for whatever (legitimate) reason. Not because you decided you didnt like it but because of any of the operational issues that would make someone not get that warm and fuzzy feeling after the sale.

If you've been on this site and others for awhile you would find that the top manufacturers have their dealers fix their warranties spas by trained techs (not by the spa owner). Costco spas need the return policy because there is nothing else there to tell the owner there is backup when a real issue arises and not all owners want to fix their new spas themself.

Additionally, if the owner of a quality spa (Sundance/Jacuzzi, Hot Springs/Caldera, Marquis, D1, etc.) does have a problem that the dealer has problems fixing there have certainly been examples of the manufacturer taking the spa back and replacing it. It is rare but it does happen (because their quality is high and they actually test the spas with water in the manufacturing plant before shipping them, unlike Duck Man's spa).

Why would the top notch manufacturers need the Costco type return policy when their dealer service network they have built up coupled with good quality works so well? As I've said before, I'm not talking about just any spa. The Thermospas and Cal Spas owners that have complained over the years could use that return policy?

I wouldnt go that far as to say they are years ahead or the best, thats open to personal interpretation. Tubs like Beachcomber, HS & Jacuzzi are far from garbage. Cal could be a great company if they didnt have so many fricken tub models which is their main downfall on quality control. I'm not a fan of Arctic but I wouldnt say they are garbage either. Never seen the inside of a D1 but I like the looks of their Bay series. No clue about coleman other than they are made by MAXX a decent shower stall company.

I sell Pacific & I do think they are above a lot of other tubs but thats my belief but to post saying the other brands are garbage is a little much. I know for a fact not everyone will like a pacific. The best tub is the one the customer feels the best in. Period

I'm looking at a Pacific Calypso now with the Prestige package, at a spa dealer that's been around for a while. I believe it's FF. If I buy it, I'll have experience with both types and have a more informed opinion. AND if I need help there may just be someone to assist me.

Your experience with the Costco tub is almost identical to the experience of 'Silver1' and 'saskman'. All three of you were lCanadian buyers of the costco hot tub, then when you got it home, found out that it had multiple problems including multiple leaks from many different places (which is amazing when you think that they are supposed to all be filled with water and tested before shipping), and then all three of you returned your junker tubs to Costco and decided to get the Pacific tubs instead. Pacific tubs really sound like awesome tubs and way better than the garbage Costco, Dimension 1, Arctic, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Cal Spas, Beachcomber and Coleman tubs. The design, build quality, and engineering of the Pacific tubs is years ahead of all other tubs and their features and comfort are just in another league altogether. You can find a dealer near you at their website or maybe some of the dealers here of the lesser tubs might want to think about switching over to the best.

http://www.pacificspas.ca/

That's a wonderful sales approach tubsoshit and I bet you have worked many years refining your sales pitch. It certainly sounds like you have had exceptional training and your skills are obviously in "another league altogether". Albeit LITTLE LEAGUE! :rolleyes::lol:

Wow, if that wasn't an outright product plug, I don't know what is. Were you simply being facetious?

I don't think so duckman... Just someone who hasn't gotta clue! Pacific aren't known for their strong dealer network... :wacko: (other than pathfinder that is! ) :lol:

Wow duckman All the issues you had with the hydrospa I had the same ones. Their quality control guy must make sure all the same parts are screwed up. I don't blame Costco because the stool by their satisfation warranty. I don't hold anything against other tubs sold at costco either. Now as for hydrospa....I think you need to off load some of the dead weight in the company. Time for some restructuring. If anyone read this who works at the Hydrospa factory...First stand up and look at the palm of your hand....now smack your forehead with it.....repeat while saying I will build better tubs I will build better tubs.