Hot Tub Purchase Help

Brad61tn

Okay I'm new and I'm soliciting help in choosing a new Hot Tub. I have a Cal Spa that I've recently become very disappointed in.

I want a great quality hot tub. I know a lot of you guys have done the research and are more knowledgeable than I.

So I'm asking you to help me wade through some of the crap and choose a hot tub.

In my town I know they sell Jacuzzi brand... and a Clearwater brand.....

I don't know enough about either of those to choose which is better. I'm sure I can shop in surrounding towns and find other brands.

Thank-you for your help, advice, and suggestions.

Brad

Okay I'm new and I'm soliciting help in choosing a new Hot Tub. I have a Cal Spa that I've recently become very disappointed in.

I want a great quality hot tub. I know a lot of you guys have done the research and are more knowledgeable than I.

So I'm asking you to help me wade through some of the crap and choose a hot tub.

I don't know enough about either of those to choose which is better. I'm sure I can shop in surrounding towns and find other brands.

Brad

Where are you located ? If you don't want to be specific, at least reveal your region/and-or/the local temperatures...

BE CAREFUL in trusting what you read... Monster(s) lurk on the boards and it takes some time to figure out who is "shooting straight."

A quick synopsis of what I've learned here :

1. WET TEST -- nothing else will make a purchase feel good if the tub itself doesn't ...

2. DEALER Support and Service -- otherwise you've got a "great tub" until it takes the big dive...

3. FILTRATION/SANITATION -- this is the key to low maintenance and user safety. Keep it clean (!)

/ "just my 2 cents"

I have a marquis Reward and we love it I bought it back in May. I know how you feel about not knowing I was there a few months. I agree with last post watch who you talk to there are people just push either their tub or the junk on here. My advice read thu post and you will get a feel of the few major brands then find them and wet test. Bottom line Wet test is the true key what might be good for me not for you. So wet test and have fun. Ps there are some very informative people on here not all are bad just need to weed out who is who.

Thanks

Bill

Brad

Where are you located ? If you don't want to be specific, at least reveal your region/and-or/the local temperatures...

BE CAREFUL in trusting what you read... Monster(s) lurk on the boards and it takes some time to figure out who is "shooting straight."

A quick synopsis of what I've learned here :

1. WET TEST -- nothing else will make a purchase feel good if the tub itself doesn't ...

2. DEALER Support and Service -- otherwise you've got a "great tub" until it takes the big dive...

3. FILTRATION/SANITATION -- this is the key to low maintenance and user safety. Keep it clean (!)

/ "just my 2 cents"

I am in Johnson City TN.....

Close to Bristol TN

http://artesianspas.com/main/dealer_locator.asp

http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html

http://www.arcticspas.com

http://retailer.sundancespas.com/Retailers/index.php

http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/

http://www.marquisspas.com/locator.asp

http://www.dimensiononespas.com/findadealer.asp

There are more certainly but those above make probably 75+% of the spas sold in the US. Visit 3, 4 or 5 of the closest and see what you like. It's always best to wet test to find the spa that fits and feels best to you but you at least want to compare rather than buy the first one you see. Good luck.

How can I determine I'm getting a good deal?

I know we have Jacuzzi and Clearwater brands in town.

I'm not sure which is better. Clearwater seems more expensive.....but higher price does not equal higher quality.

Thanks for the info guys...

Keep it coming.....

I'm ready to order one as soon as I decide on a good one.

brad

Brad

Make a list

Do you want a spa with good hydropherapy?

Do you want a spa with good hydropherapy in all seats?

Do you want a spa with hydropherapy in some of the seats?

Do you want a spa just to sit in with minimal hydropherapy?

Adjustable power of jets?

Placement of jets?

Air injector, air pump?

Do you want a lounger?

Depth and width of seats?

Number of seats?

Energy consumption?

Is dealer support important to you?

Is a good warranty important to you?

Choice of colours?

Type of filteration?

Programmable filteration cycles?

Ozone?

24 hour circulation pump?

Choice of cabinet?

Thickness of shell?

Fibreglass backed shell or foam backed?

Full foam insulation, part foam insulation with cabinet insulation or just cabinet isulation?

Extras like stereo, lighting etc.

Most importantly wet test, take your time and make the experience enjoyable. We did, we went out over a lot of weekends wet testing various spas and relaxing.

If you come across any pressure salesman then leave.

Make a list[...]

I love this post !

Perhaps there's a few things missing but this is a REALLY GOOD introduction to someone considering "buying a tub."

On the one hand, you think how complicated can this be ? -- after all, it's just a big bucket of warm water...

On the other hand, you find out that there are a lot of variables (!)

Incidentally, based on my own shopping experience [so far], here's a couple more :

Bromine ? Chlorine ?

Standard jets ? Stainless Steel ?

Concrete pad ? On the deck ? On the ground ?

Standard bottom ? "Sealed" bottom ?

Standard cover ? Upgraded cover ?

Cover lifter ? Really good cover lifter ?

Accessories ? Premium head rests ? Hand rail ? drink tray ?

blah blah blah...

/ Happy shopping (!)

The Monaco has a large quantity of digital lights inside and outside the tub (remote controllable with several colors or rotating colors), waterfalls, fans, dolphin & puck remotes, stereo system w/ satellite, mp3, and ipod adapter, really are nice touches.

Good luck.

Daniel

Daniel

Whats the "water fan" in the monaco do????

Thank you John 104 degrees

We have a Marquis Epic and would recommend Marquis. When we shopped for spas we primarily stayed with the known brands. I highly recommend wet testing. We were surprised what "looked" great didn't really "feel" great.

As far as dvh's comment about the jets on the Epic - "The Epic has 57 jets and they are all the exact same type of jet and not adjustable." They are not all the same and only the HK40 jets cannot be turned off. The HK16 jets you can change the direction of the water flow as well as the amount, you can even turn them completely off.

http://www.marquisspas.com/difference_relief.asp

Sorry I do not have any info in regards to Clearwater or Jacuzzi as there are no local dealers in my area. I have heard of them of course but never looked into them.

[

Yes pics Please :D May i ask what you payed and do you live in a cold climate???

john

Rather than Hijack this thread, I posted detailed info including pricing in a separate thread:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7918

Thanks dan

--Clearwater Spas have been produced for 31 years, but for some reason is is a lot harder to find feedback on these tubs.

There are MANY spa companies that have been around 25 or 30+ years. Some are more regional like Clearwater, Emerald, Hydropool, etc. while others are everywhere like Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Sundance, Cal Spas and Thermospas. Being an old spa comapny does not mean you are a top notch spa company. All it really means is you've been doing it awhile.

Brad

I live in Nashville, TN. We had checked out many hot tub/spas. We finally had it down to a Hot Springs or Marquis. After trying to find a Marquis dealer in the Nashville area, (the one that was a dealer of Marquis spa's only carries pools now). Not to be detered, I called Marquis. I was told by the customer service rep that the only dealers were your direction (by Bristol)far south,far west of me. He told me that even if we did buy one of their spa's we would probably have to pay for a tech visit fee as the other dealers were so far away. Yet, ALL parts under warrentee would be covered. He told me, (and this is where I feel that this company is a GREAT company),...YUP, he told me to go with the Hot Springs spa we had chosen. He told me the company made very good spa's and the dealer I was dealing with in Nashville, TN was well known for going above and beyond the call of duty. In fact,the Hot Springs dealer,was their major competition....minus the box stores and the Watson's & Pools and Spa Depot. I hope this helps....We're buying the Hot Springs as we can't get a dealer for the Marquis here.

Brad

I live in Nashville, TN. We had checked out many hot tub/spas. We finally had it down to a Hot Springs or Marquis. After trying to find a Marquis dealer in the Nashville area, (the one that was a dealer of Marquis spa's only carries pools now). Not to be detered, I called Marquis. I was told by the customer service rep that the only dealers were your direction (by Bristol)far south,far west of me. He told me that even if we did buy one of their spa's we would probably have to pay for a tech visit fee as the other dealers were so far away. Yet, ALL parts under warrentee would be covered. He told me, (and this is where I feel that this company is a GREAT company),...YUP, he told me to go with the Hot Springs spa we had chosen. He told me the company made very good spa's and the dealer I was dealing with in Nashville, TN was well known for going above and beyond the call of duty. In fact,the Hot Springs dealer,was their major competition....minus the box stores and the Watson's & Pools and Spa Depot. I hope this helps....We're buying the Hot Springs as we can't get a dealer for the Marquis here.

Thats really outstanding as since they could not give you the level of service that they would like to they gave you a legitimate choice that they know from their experience in the area to be a very good option even at the cost of a sale for themselves. I think it speaks to their integrity.

Brad

First question to ask is, who will be at my house to do any warranty work; what is thier phone number and where are they located? end of story. PS don't get too fancy, more gadgets mean more problems. everybody hates lounges. fiber optics burried in foam, very clever idea. Oh and a big fat stereo, that makes lot's of sense. why not get a topside with 40 diff filtration settings, and a clock that has to be reprogramed everytime the power is shut off. be sure to go full foam it will make your heart sing the first time you get a plumbing leak. All tubs eventually get plumbing leaks. Filtration one set on, filtration set off, ok filtration 2 set on, filtration set 2 off, ect, pusk up button for 4 secconds then hold light for three secconds, give me a break, that is sadistic to do to old wealthy people that can't even work a TV remote. very clever, get some misters while you are at it keeps me busy. get one with Jet engins a porch swing, and a cuiszine art. I fix it all. Jucuzzi is a solid tub, however a great deal of the parts are only avalible through Jucuzzi. You are at thier mercy. Clear water I believe uses more standard industry parts. can be obtained from many dealers. hope I helped.