1st Time Buyer

tcdckc

Well, we wet tested both the D1 and the Caldera yesterday, and the D1 is head and shoulders better than the Caldera. Both the wife and I floated out of the lounger and some of the seats in the Caldera. Also, she slipped and almost fell 2 times getting into the Caldera due to the slickness of the finish. The jets, massage ability, and overall comfort of the D1 was much, much better than the Caldera. Within a few minutes of sitting in the D1, we knew without a doubt which was the spa for us.

Now a follow-up question: Is there a way to find out what a reasonable price is to pay for a specific spa? I know you can get actual dealer cost on a new vehicle, but is there a way to get this info on a spa? If not, does anyone have that kind of info available to them? I'd like to have some sort of assurance that I'm not getting taken to the cleaners.

Thank you to everyone who had input regarding this issue. It was greatly appreciated.

Well, we wet tested both the D1 and the Caldera yesterday, and the D1 is head and shoulders better than the Caldera. Both the wife and I floated out of the lounger and some of the seats in the Caldera. Also, she slipped and almost fell 2 times getting into the Caldera due to the slickness of the finish. The jets, massage ability, and overall comfort of the D1 was much, much better than the Caldera. Within a few minutes of sitting in the D1, we knew without a doubt which was the spa for us.

Now a follow-up question: Is there a way to find out what a reasonable price is to pay for a specific spa? I know you can get actual dealer cost on a new vehicle, but is there a way to get this info on a spa? If not, does anyone have that kind of info available to them? I'd like to have some sort of assurance that I'm not getting taken to the cleaners.

Thank you to everyone who had input regarding this issue. It was greatly appreciated.

From what I gather, the pricing is highly dependant on the area you live in, the particular dealer's overhead, etc. So prices can vary as much as $1000 or more. I just called a dealer in my region (Oregon Coast) and was quoted the following, which only includes startup kit, regular cover and delivery/setup.

Diplomat - $9041

Californian - $8890

Aurora II - $8117

Chairman II - $10,276

Cover lifter is an extra $175-$275. The standard shell is a new lifetime warranty shell but only comes in white. If you want color it's a $200 option and a totally different shell (acrylic) that does not have the lifetime warranty.

Actually, I just checked the website and they have that 'everythings included' deal going on (cover lifter, steps, etc) so you might print out that coupon.

Congratulations on coming to your decision! :D That's the best way. Narrow down your choices, then wet test. A lot of people get very surprised after the wet test. Things end up not being at all like they thought they would once the water is factored in. I had never even heard of Dimension 1 spas until I joined this forum. I see that there is a dealer about 80 miles from my house. I'll have to check them out the next time I'm out that way. I've already purchased my Caldera so I won't be changing. I really enjoyed my wet test and don't regret my choice at all. But I'm always interested in seeing what else is out there.

Again, Congratulations! May you have many many years of enjoyment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I wouldn't rule out Hot Springs just because of the lack of jets. While they might have less jets than others, several of their jets are equivalent to a group of jets. For example, the moto-massage is equivalent to at least ten jets.

wow - this is a great thread and im glad to have stumbled upon it tonight as we are in the process of wet testing several spas. We tested 8 or 9 different spas and have narrowed it down to D1 Aurora or the Caldera Tahitian, both right around $8k.

I love the power of the Caldera whirlpool jet on the floor and for the lower back - most powerful jets compared to any other spa that we've tested and very important on my list. The D1 Aurora has a slightly less powerful foot jet, but we liked the adjustable neck pillow/jets that hold you in place. My wife floats in the Caldera and will wet test the D1 tomorrow, so we will see how she fares with the neck pillows holding her in place?

If it were just my choice I would buy the Caldera - impressed with the overall hydrotherapy and reviews from others. The main concern with the D1 is the reliability of the LCD control panel - too many bad reviews. Also not convinced that the customer support/dealer support will be as good as the local dealer selling Caldera.

We are going to hopefully pull the trigger this weekend - this site has provided a ton of information so thanks to all that contribute.

The main concern with the D1 is the reliability of the LCD control panel - too many bad reviews. Also not convinced that the customer support/dealer support will be as good as the local dealer selling Caldera.

The dealer does make all the difference. Never heard of any LCD control panel problems????

If it were just my choice I would buy the Caldera - impressed with the overall hydrotherapy and reviews from others. The main concern with the D1 is the reliability of the LCD control panel - too many bad reviews. Also not convinced that the customer support/dealer support will be as good as the local dealer selling Caldera.

We are going to hopefully pull the trigger this weekend - this site has provided a ton of information so thanks to all that contribute.

Both are good brands I would trust and dealer support is important. Go with your gut!!