In Need Of A Good Cover!

Hi,

I'm looking for forum help. I'm a new comer to this forum but I know the wealth of info in forms. We have a 5-7 yr. old Cal Spa (6-8 person) that we have replaced the cover on twice already and we are in need on another one! Does anyone know of a GOOD long lasting cover available? Our HT sits outside and we live in northern Michigan so we deal with snow 6 months out of the year.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm looking for forum help. I'm a new comer to this forum but I know the wealth of info in forms. We have a 5-7 yr. old Cal Spa (6-8 person) that we have replaced the cover on twice already and we are in need on another one! Does anyone know of a GOOD long lasting cover available? Our HT sits outside and we live in northern Michigan so we deal with snow 6 months out of the year.

Thanks!

RH Tubs dot com

Hi,

Thanks!

Get an Ideal cover with the "Super Foam". They use the best vinyl and stitiching. We have customers with them over 9 years in cold climates. They are even imported around the world.

http://www.soundclick.com/havenhead

Super foam? I prefer Super Awesome Foam, it's like super foam, but it has more awesome in it. So you know, its better. :rolleyes:

I second RHtubs. Good people. Great service.

I second RHtubs. Good people. Great service.
I guess you don't know RHtubs like I do.
What is wrong with rhtubs?

Oh I'm dying to hear this :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok, lets do the Ideal RHTUBS comparison.

Vinyl. Ideal-29oz. RHTUBS 30oz. Both have a 1500 hour UV rating. Virtually no difference.

Underside. The same.

Foam cores. Same material. Same taper. RHTUBS basic cover is 1-1/5 pound density, IDEAL is 1 pound. RHTUBS 4" thick cover the thickness of the foam is actually 4". I believe, at least last time I checked, IDEAL is a little under 4".

C-Channel reinforcement. Both use 20 gauge

Vapor barrier. RHTUBS uses a 6 mil polyethylene. Ideal uses something they call "VPB 3000". A friend of mine that also manufacturers spa covers had this stuff analyzed. The report cam back saying it was 3 mil polyethylene with pink dye in it.

Heat Sealing Gaskets. RHTUBS uses one continuous gasket running the entire length of the cover. Ideal uses 2 little gaskets at each end on the cover. This leaves the majority of the hinge area insulated.

Hinge........ Almost EXACTLY the same. RHTUBS has some extra reinforcement at the edges.

Drain Grommets. RHTUBS has none. Our experience has been that they can scratch the spa if the cover is continually slid off. Also they create a slight barrier that can hold water inside the cover.

Handles. Pretty much the same.

Tie downs. Pretty much the same, although RHTUBS hides the tie downs in the center of the skirt and also sews then into one additional area of the cover for added strength.

Warranty. Ideal - 1 year vinyl, 3 year workmanship. RHTUBS, 4 years

Ideal is 3 years on the cover vinyl, and workmanship.

Super foam is an extremely dense waterproof foam, but you don't know anything about it.

The other thing that is really good about Ideal is the people are really nice to work with.

Super foam is an extremely dense waterproof foam, but you don't know anything about it.

The other thing that is really good about Ideal is the people are really nice to work with.

What's that up in the sky?

A bird?

A plane?

IT's SUPER FOAM!

Jim, it's dumb name and the way you presented was classic Arjuna. Get over yourself already.

Now. you were about to slander RH Tubs? Go on...

What's that up in the sky?

A bird?

A plane?

IT's SUPER FOAM!

Jim, it's dumb name and the way you presented was classic Arjuna. Get over yourself already.

Now. you were about to slander RH Tubs? Go on...

What do you think of a moderator who violates the rules of this forum all the time. Is that ethical?

Didn't seem like a violation to me, seemed like a pretty fair assesment of a stupid statement on your part.

Besides you violate the rules on your board all the time and have never banned yourself....yet. Or did you once by mistake?

I stand corrected. I went with the first copy of their warranty I could find online. HOWEVER;

Any Ideal Spa Cover shown to be unserviceable due to defects in materials or workmanship within three years from date of purchase will be repaired or replaced, at the option of Ideal Spa Covers, without charge for materials or labor. (Excludes cost of freight to and from the manufacturer)

1.) Ideal Spa Covers will guarantee all seams and stitches, handles and tie-downs on a pro-rated basis for a period of three years.

Can I hear more on this Super Duper Waterproof foam?? as far as I knew all styro was water proof except for the micro air gaps in the foam & thats what causes water logged foam.

It is hard foam, very dense. When you tap on it, it sounds like wood. It is not new, and I wonder why others are not using it. It is expensive though.

I am developing a new cover that does not use foam in the way they do now. It wil outlast all the present designs and is much lighter to remove. It can also be packaged in a smaller box and shipped by UPS or Fed Ex for a $100 savings in shipping and without the constant 10% damage from trucking companies. Dr. Spa can then make sails or somthing else with his equipment, because this cover will end all the problems.

From my experience Ideal are a mediocre cover, mainly in the workmanship, but the biggest issue with cover is people do not take care of them. Something that sits outdoors 12 months a year needs a little maintenance. I condition my cover once a month with saddle soap and after four years in the GA sun is still looks new (by the way it is a Sunstar cover). The other issue is people open the cover wrong, a lot of spas will have suction on them and the people that yank on the handles will pull them out eventually, it is better to break the seal by sliding your hand under the cover to break the seal then use the handle to raise the cover. The other issue is most people do not put the cover locks in the correct place so there is slack in the strap so when the wind pick us it lifts the cover and will pull the strap out (this where adjustable straps are nice, when I find them wrong it is an easy fix.

So no matter what cover you buy if you do not take care of it, lift or install correct it will not last and most cover warranty are not worth the paper they are written on.

The owner of rhtubs.com asked you to tell him why his covers were not as good as Ideal spa covers. He went onto explain the benefits of owning one of his covers versus owning one of Ideal’s covers. This was not a sales message and at no time did the owner of rhtubs.com put a link to his website.

And don’t forget both of you are in violation of the guidelines of this message forum. Here is one of the guidelines:

For obvious competitive reasons, individuals who operate forums or bulletin boards that compete with poolspaforum.com are not eligible to enroll. You agree to not leave signatures, URLs or text including blatant sales messages, solicitations, advertisements, derogatory comments about members, or self-promotion of any form encouraging members to visit a particular website or store. Poolspaforum.com editors will tend to error on the side of caution and delete questionable posts.

The owner of rhtubs.com

One minor correction, I'm not THE owner, but one of two owners................. just thought I'd throw that in to keep this train wreck rolling along :rolleyes:

p.s. Personally, I think Ideal makes a fine cover. We sold them for many years, and their cover was one of about 12 different brands we used to design and develop our cover.

Kinda funny.......... I'm in violation of the board guidelines, and yet the owners of this board asked me to be a moderator.....dang, I should run fo da presidential office!

Super foam? I prefer Super Awesome Foam, it's like super foam, but it has more awesome in it. So you know, its better. :rolleyes:

You guys have too much time on your hands. <_< Just google it. Superfoam.

• 3 weeks later...
The owner of rhtubs.com

One minor correction, I'm not THE owner, but one of two owners................. just thought I'd throw that in to keep this train wreck rolling along :rolleyes:

p.s. Personally, I think Ideal makes a fine cover. We sold them for many years, and their cover was one of about 12 different brands we used to design and develop our cover.

Kinda funny.......... I'm in violation of the board guidelines, and yet the owners of this board asked me to be a moderator.....dang, I should run fo da presidential office!

Why continue with the same design as has been around forever? If you are going to design a better cover, why make it like all the rest and copy them? :rolleyes:

Personally, from seeing many of your postings, you are just all about money and not much else on these forums. If you didn't get free advertising for you overpriced products, you would not be here.

On the other hand I changed occupations to get into the spa industry, because of my love of hot tub therapy. I don't like you and probably never will, because you are not honest with yourself. People who try to be something they are not, are not usually happy people.

You think you are so clever for putting one over on these board owners, but there is one person you forgot about, you. You have to look in the mirror and face yourself and God.

Andy is the guy who decided that he wanted to ruin my spa sales, so he started lying to my spa shoppers on his site, forum and emails. Since then, he continues with the same level of behavior.

People without ethics are ruining our country. They asked you to moderate after you put up those disgusting photos from some non traceable IP. Just like you did on other forums so you can advertise there.

Why continue with the same design as has been around forever? If you are going to design a better cover, why make it like all the rest and copy them? :rolleyes:

1) Vapor barrier. RHTUBS uses a 6 mil polyethylene. Ideal uses something they call "VPB 3000". A friend of mine that also manufacturers spa covers had this stuff analyzed. The report cam back saying it was 3 mil polyethylene with pink dye in it.

2) Heat Sealing Gaskets. RHTUBS uses one continuous gasket running the entire length of the cover. Ideal uses 2 little gaskets at each end on the cover. This leaves the majority of the hinge area insulated.

3) Drain Grommets. RHTUBS has none. Our experience has been that they can scratch the spa if the cover is continually slid off. Also they create a slight barrier that can hold water inside the cover.

A brief scan revealed 3 differences but when you read it you see none. :huh::huh::huh:

I guess we read from a different language base and level of understanding.

I'll take the RHTUBS cover over others and remain happy. :)

:ph34r: srg