Costco Legend - Owners Only

bgp780

I could not figure that out... what should I compare with? The Tiger River line, Caspian (the one I got) was about 8K. It's here http://tigerriver.hotspring.com/Models/spa...ls_caspian.html

My comparison shopping was documented here:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=5875&hl=

Near the bottom you'll see where I looked at a Coast Spa to get a feel for a lower priced spa with some of the same features/size, which came in around 6500, and frankly although I'm sure it was a fine tub, for $1500 more I would rather have any of the other three I was considering. It was most likely this one http://www.coastspas.com/models/tubs/zenith.html

I also took a quick look at this saratoga spa: http://www.saratogaspas.com/v3/adirondack.asp?spa=caroga but it came in just over 7k, and was clearly not even close feature-wise.

I owned a more generic brand tub 10 years ago in new england, and while it worked fine, and got warm, and pushed water, it wasn't what I was looking for this time around.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote name='soakerman' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:25 PM' post='28509'] If you read all the people here that own the spa, you won't find one that has returned it yet. and none of them are in a landfill or junkyard that I know of :lol:

Part of the reason people don't return them may be that there are several strong disincentive working against returns. It is --as the other person correctly pointed out-- a major logistical hassle. Who wants to bring in workers, or friends to hoist a 1/2 ton box to a warehouse. Some, like mine require a crane crew. You gotta hire the electrician. YOu spend at least 4 hours on the phone coordinating the project. If you factor in the hours spent and all the costs of removing and replacing the unit, the cost may well be closer to $1000 . For me that was certainly the case. The cost would have equaled %25 of the purchase price. In the end, despite the hassles I had with owning the Hydrospa, I decided it was easier to keep it and badger them to fix it than it was to return & replace it. My persistence paid off since mine works nearly fine now except for a few loose jets and potentially leaky speakers. Nevertheless, returning it is still an option of LAST resort. If these were the size of toasters or came with wheels and a motor, my guess is that COSTCO might have a good number of them piled up in back.

John tells us:

"Near the bottom you'll see where I looked at a Coast Spa to get a feel for a lower priced spa with some of the same features/size, which came in around 6500, and frankly although I'm sure it was a fine tub, for $1500 more I would rather have any of the other three I was considering. It was most likely this one...

I owned a more generic brand tub 10 years ago in new england, and while it worked fine, and got warm, and pushed water, it wasn't what I was looking for this time around."

In the cold months here in New England, I can tell you the money you save in electricity will make the more exensive tub cost less than the bargin brand tub.

AND

Jmendoza says....

"Who wants to bring in workers, or friends to hoist a 1/2 ton box to a warehouse. Some, like mine require a crane crew. You gotta hire the electrician. YOu spend at least 4 hours on the phone coordinating the project. If you factor in the hours spent and all the costs of removing and replacing the unit, the cost may well be closer to $1000 . For me that was certainly the case. The cost would have equaled %25 of the purchase price. In the end, despite the hassles I had with owning the Hydrospa, I decided it was easier to keep it and badger them to fix it than it was to return & replace it."

Least we forget also the value on the front end that a dealer adds (Delivery, all these questions lately that are flooding the board)

Anyhow, I thought the two above quotes are worth repeating.

Ya know......

When I saw this new thread rise like a Phoenix from the ashes after the demise of the previous two Costco threads, I thought......Good, owners only. They can congratulate themselves on getting the deal of the century and talk about how dumb everyone else is to buy any where else, and then the thread would quickly fade to black.

We should have been so lucky! ;)

'jwillard' said:

This forum is the main reason I bought my legend...I seen all the fun people were having in the threads about costco spas I just couldnt pass up the opportunity to be a part of it.

Tell the truth, JW. You really didn't want a spa at all.

But buying one at Costco was your ticket into this exclusive fraternity.

Now I understand why you wouldn't pay more than $3,999.00! :lol::lol:

(Just razzin' ya, sport!)

I think we should let them in on the special Costco pricing on spas!!!!!!

what I think is funny in my area is the fact that the Clearwater dealership is walking Distance from the Costco where you can veiw the spas and compare them. Many here have said that Clearwater is a good spa for the money yet the Costco elite series which is a mirror image in terms of components and build techniques and insulation is bashed constantly on this forum but I think that is due to ignorance and simply not willing to think the spa they paid ten thousand for might not be worth the price paid.

Perhapa the Elite spa and the Legend series spa are a fair priced and a good value versus a 1ok spa that is overpriced and not worth the money spent.

I keep hearing the Elite/Legend spa need to "prove themselves" but it is the high end overpriced spa that have to "prove" they are worth the extra money spent and last twice as long as the Elite series spa. People here have it backwards, as The Elite spas have nothing to prove, it just is!

I keep hearing the Elite/Legend spa need to "prove themselves" but it is the high end overpriced spa that have to "prove" they are worth the extra money spent and last twice as long as the Elite series spa. People here have it backwards, as The Elite spas have nothing to prove, it just is!

Well said!!

The term "prove themselves" may be the sticking point here because it can be interpreted a couple ways. There is history on a lot of the high end premium spas so there can a baseline there but not so for the most recent Costco spas being discussed. What is needed is some history on them but that takes time. Its very common for premium spas to last 12, 15, 20 yrs with occasional issues (even your Honda with 250k miles has had some work on it I'd imagine) though it certainly varies by brand (not every $9k spa should be considered premium, it's more than price). If someone owns the Costco for 10+ yrs with minimal issues I'm sure they'll be happy with their spa decision. If it lasts 7 yrs and ends up as scrap, not so much. If its a dog at 5 yrs they won't be too happy. What can someone expect on average? Unfortunately, history takes time to unfold.

I just find it interesting that it's being called "bashing" when the short commings of a $3900 spa are measured against other spas.

Why is it bashing ? There are a couple of folks here who say "For the money spent I am a happy". and then there are others who claim you could piss in a costco tub and in the morning it will be champage. If you disagree you are accused of bashing.

:rolleyes:

If my Keys spa makes it to 4 years without any major trouble I will be happy. I paid $3,600 for it and so far it's been great (1 1/2 years) the only draw back has been the higher electric bills. Right or wrong that is the expectation I've set in my mind.

It loos like Costco has another new (more expensive) hot tub line on the site. They look pretty cool, don't know who makes it (doesn't look like either keys or hydro) but it looks pretty nice. 96 jets/5 pumps/ programable massage cycles.

[quot name=Trigger' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:42 AM' post='28618]

I just find it interesting that it's being called "bashing" when the short commings of a $3900 spa are measured against other spas.

Why is it bashing ? There are a couple of folks here who say "For the money spent I am a happy". and then there are others who claim you could piss in a costco tub and in the morning it will be champage. If you disagree you are accused of bashing.

:rolleyes:

[/quot]

Wow, well, first I've never heard the piss = champange thing, but let's see. This is an owners only thread yet non-owners keep posting in here. Not respecting the thread creator and posting off topic (if it says only owners, and you are a non-owner an post, that's off topic) seems like abuse to me. (no I'm not an owner so I'm violating this too.)

In this thread, http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6561 the first reply was a snippy comment about dealer support from costco. That IMHO is bashing.

Now Trigger, I'm not going after you personally because I've seen you post helpful stuff too, but let's call bashing what it is.

In this thread, http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6561 the first reply was a snippy comment about dealer support from costco. That IMHO is bashing.

Now Trigger, I'm not going after you personally because I've seen you post helpful stuff too, but let's call bashing what it is.

You and I are not even in the same room when it comes to "what is bashing" :blink: My dealer coment was not bashing. Of all the stuff I post here, that was probaly the least bashing-nest of them all. I've out and out bashed when off the wall coments were made but that? Nah.

What do you call it when the same people keep posting completely off the wall posts about an inferior product? "Arjunaizing"? :D

FYI, this is NOT an owners only thread. This is a public message board and anyone that follows the posting guidlines is welcome to post.

If you wish to control who may or may not post in a paticular thread, might I suggest going off and starting your own web site with message board.

FYI, this is NOT an owners only thread. This is a public message board and anyone that follows the posting guidlines is welcome to post.

If you wish to control who may or may not post in a paticular thread, might I suggest going off and starting your own web site with message board.

Well the thread title says, "Owners Only"

Can we rename the thread?

Yes, this is a public message board and anyone that follows the guidelines can post...but shouldnt you also follow some form of edicate? As with any costco/hydrospa post the original subject gets burried in all the bs post and is for sure to be off topic by the second page if not the first.

I think the original intent was to try and keep the thread on topic by asking only owners of such tub to reply. I think that along with it being a hydrospa thread is so tempting for some to come post on you couldnt drag them out of the thread with wild horses.

If someone really wants to know something its very easy to use the PM (Personal Message) function which would negate all other unwanted banter.

Private rooms groups and chat just sign up for facebook start a costco spa group with invite only problem solved.

The whole benefit of a forum is to share the knowledge...in a pm others cant benefit from it. I personally like to put out my questions/comments and come back later to see who responded. I on the other hand am one who likes banter...so it doesnt bother me.

Also in chat you need to be involved in order to chat, some of us arent pool or spa owners who can sit and chat at work. sorry couldnt resist...just picking at ya!

Its all good :D I dont have any problem with a costco tub or a thread that some would like to have for themselves as most owners of the tubs think they are a good tub for the money as many have stated. There are a few that feel they are the greatest thing since slice bread and ramble on and on which then ruins the thread because others feel compelled to respond to certain claims.

For these few there should be one thread Costco Spas VS The World

In the thread lets have it all out once again and let it run till it dies sometime next year maybe? This way the jibberish that hijacks threads can be in one place and rehashed over and over.

Just my 2 cents

Perhapa the Elite spa and the Legend series spa are a fair priced and a good value

I have no problem with that statement

versus a 1ok spa that is overpriced and not worth the money spent.

I call flame bait!

I've owned both a value spa (doesn't that sound better?) and now a mid-line spa (since mine was under 10k, but over 4k, it flies under that magic 10k radar.)

*I* had no trouble seeing the difference, and feeling the difference between a 6.5k and an 8k tub. That's not to say the 6.5k tub sucked or was bad or you'd be stupid to buy it. But the same *should* be true for the 8k tub... I thought it was, otherwise I'd not have bought it. Last time, my budget dictated the value spa - no choice in the matter, I got the best spa I could afford. This time, budget was different, and allowed for more choices in price. That didn't stop me from looking at several spas in different price groups, but it did allow me to view higher cost spas without feeling constrained by budget.

That's really the only thing that matters. Being happy with your tub, knowing what trade-offs you've made (or at least understanding there are trade-offs) and then soaking in the sucker as much as you can.

Speaking of which, I am late for today's soak.

Mmmmmm soak.

Perhapa the Elite spa and the Legend series spa are a fair priced and a good value

I have no problem with that statement

versus a 1ok spa that is overpriced and not worth the money spent.

I call flame bait!

I've owned both a value spa (doesn't that sound better?) and now a mid-line spa (since mine was under 10k, but over 4k, it flies under that magic 10k radar.)

*I* had no trouble seeing the difference, and feeling the difference between a 6.5k and an 8k tub. That's not to say the 6.5k tub sucked or was bad or you'd be stupid to buy it. But the same *should* be true for the 8k tub... I thought it was, otherwise I'd not have bought it. Last time, my budget dictated the value spa - no choice in the matter, I got the best spa I could afford. This time, budget was different, and allowed for more choices in price. That didn't stop me from looking at several spas in different price groups, but it did allow me to view higher cost spas without feeling constrained by budget.

That's really the only thing that matters. Being happy with your tub, knowing what trade-offs you've made (or at least understanding there are trade-offs) and then soaking in the sucker as much as you can.

Speaking of which, I am late for today's soak.

Mmmmmm soak.

what was the diferance then?

As I said in my other post, and in the topic when I was shopping

* build quality

* overall design (both layout of jets/jet firing patterns and general design aesthetics)

* feature set

* noise of operation

* projected cost of operation

* lack of (or lower) delivery & setup support, on-site maintenance.

* warranty differences (I know, some people don't care about this, but I do.)

Those were different not only between the 6.5k and 8k tubs, but even to a lesser degree among similarly priced units from different manufacturers.

I thought I made that clear already. Sorry.

In the end I don't give a rodent's behind how much anybody else spent on their tub. I'm assuming if they bought it, they got the best tub they could find for the price they spent. I don't begrudge people who can afford to spend more, nor look down on those who spent less.