Costco Legend - Owners Only

bgp780

As I said in my other post, and in the topic when I was shopping

* build quality

* overall design (both layout of jets/jet firing patterns and general design aesthetics)

* feature set

* noise of operation

* projected cost of operation

* lack of (or lower) delivery & setup support, on-site maintenance.

* warranty differences (I know, some people don't care about this, but I do.)

Those were different not only between the 6.5k and 8k tubs, but even to a lesser degree among similarly priced units from different manufacturers.

I thought I made that clear already. Sorry.

In the end I don't give a rodent's behind how much anybody else spent on their tub. I'm assuming if they bought it, they got the best tub they could find for the price they spent. I don't begrudge people who can afford to spend more, nor look down on those who spent less.

and how does that compare to the legend series spas?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legend was not on my list, so I have no idea - other then comparing the warranty (which I did in this topic, if it's made by Hydrospa )

Can you post a link to the manufacturer web site? I'll give you my take on it then.

If it's this legend series, I'd have to say I'd be concerned...

http://rss.epinions.com/rss/linkin_id-8003929/product-97985

But then, it might not be. It does not seem to be on the costco web site at all.

At first I thought I was saving at a ton of money going with the Platinum Elite from Costco. After spending over $150 per month on electricity I'm not so sure about the savings anymore. It's also a hassle getting on the phone to order parts when it breaks down.

Take my advise and go with a dealer backed spa next time. Some people might be happy initially but the excitement will wear off over time. It's not a bad spa but it's not what I would call a Premium spa. You get what you pay for in this world.

quote name='Tyler' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:44 PM' post='28672'] At first I thought I was saving at a ton of money going with the Platinum Elite from Costco. After spending over $150 per month on electricity I'm not so sure about the savings anymore. It's also a hassle getting on the phone to order parts when it breaks down. Take my advise and go with a dealer backed spa next time. Some people might be happy initially but the excitement will wear off over time. It's not a bad spa but it's not what I would call a Premium spa. You get what you pay for in this world.

Wow! Are you still spending that money. At least mine is working OK. The cost seems to be leveled at around $60 a month, but it is summer in California. On the other hand I just discovered --actually my father-in-law noticed-- that several of the mini-jets do nothing. I guess they either they're clogged, were never connected at the factory or are just for looks. Quality control is not a strong point for Hydrospa.

Wow! Are you still spending that money. At least mine is working OK. The cost seems to be leveled at around $60 a month, but it is summer in California. On the other hand I just discovered --actually my father-in-law noticed-- that several of the mini-jets do nothing. I guess they either they're clogged, were never connected at the factory or are just for looks. Quality control is not a strong point for Hydrospa.

You won't like hearing this and will undoubtedly insist that your jets are plugged up with some mysterious something but...the mini-jets are probably just turned off. Rotate the little collar on them gently counterclockwise and they will turn on. Each jet can be turned on and off, even the little ones.

quote name='soakerman' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:51 PM' post='28678']http://www.hydrospa.com/spas/sterlingleisure_pristine.htm

not a low end spa by any means and no way does it cost 150 dollars a month to operate!

Last time I checked, every person had a right to be heard and one man's experience is just that. I myself have paid right around that much when I emptied the spa in winter. There have been others as well who have complained about high energy costs. So either you are smarter than everyone , or you're calling the other poster a liar???

Not what I would call high end or premium either just a tub stuffed with little jets to make it look like it does something. There are only maybe 12-20 real jets in those tubs. Yet there are diverters on the tub a properly plumbed tub with that many bullet jets shouldnt need a diverter it also has only a single speed secondary pump most better built tubs have a dual speed secondary pump. I had a service call to a house where they purchased a hydrospas online it looked pretty close to the DESIRE they paid $12,000 Cdn I was called there to ask why their tub was costing them around $120 a month to operate because they had ordered it with the "Arctic Heat" insulation system what a joke. This was in September of 06 I ended up running a thick layer of bubble foil around the tub and plumbing then installed Firestone insulation boar don all four side topped with foam tape to ensure a snug fit. We got his bill down to around $60 He got tired of paying too much this spring and put it in the classifieds for $4500 Cdn. Someone finally bought it for $3800 (What its really worth!!!) After I helped transport this premium spa to its new home at a camp I asked if he planned on getting another tub He stated" not for a couple years the wife is pretty pissed about wasting $12,000 on a tub when the one she wanted from another dealer in my city was $7500"

Thanks - better info here

http://www.hydrospa.com/spas/pdf/sterlingl...re_pristine.pdf

According to these guys it's in the ballpark of my spa for cost:

http://www.burchspas.com/sterlingleisure.htm

Price: $7,825.00 (the one on the bottom there)

Yep, about $50 less then the TR Caspian. I'd go with the TR for $50.

But indeed it looks very snappy.

I (personally) don't like the recessed jets. Can't tell for sure if the shell is smooth or the textured style, can't stand the textured style but again that's just personal taste.

Can't tell what kind of ozone system it uses.

Comes with the iffy warranty - that's a minus for me.

Edit - if indeed it needs diverters to work as designed then something is wrong... no diverters on the TR spa needed. Don't like diverters.

quote name='New NW tub owner' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:25 PM' post='28680'] You won't like hearing this and will undoubtedly insist that your jets are plugged up with some mysterious something but...the mini-jets are probably just turned off. Rotate the little collar on them gently counterclockwise and they will turn on. Each jet can be turned on and off, even the little ones.

Thanks for the tip, but even stupid little old me engages in basic troubleshooting before pronouncing things a failure. The sad fact is that most of the little jets are so tight ---yes even with the pumps off-- that they barely turn. Some don't turn at all and I don't want to turn them harder for fear that I might pull them out of the shell. Couple that with the loose footjet and leaky speakers and the downsides are basic fit and finish issues. If I can keep the cost under $50 a month, I can be happy with it. Despite all my complaints, I won't complain about the price. But let's not overhype this puppy. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a $10K spa. The literature can call it a $15K spa, but the fact is that mine is a $3999 spa and I have the receipt to prove it.

BTW --The last time you suggested I turn on my jets, the Hydrospa tech spent 20 minutes troubleshooting one before he got it UNCLOGGED. Seems it came that way from the factory.

jmendoza you dont have a platinum Legend spa...you have a different spa than what the thread is about. The way you are posting makes it sound like you do...the Legend that I purchased cost $5200 out the door. Hydrospa doesnt show the Legend on their site, but I believe the Desire is the most similar product to the Legend offered at Costco. There are just a couple differences between the two.

Thanks - better info here

http://www.hydrospa.com/spas/pdf/sterlingl...re_pristine.pdf

According to these guys it's in the ballpark of my spa for cost:

http://www.burchspas.com/sterlingleisure.htm

Price: $7,825.00 (the one on the bottom there)

Yep, about $50 less then the TR Caspian. I'd go with the TR for $50.

But indeed it looks very snappy.

I (personally) don't like the recessed jets. Can't tell for sure if the shell is smooth or the textured style, can't stand the textured style but again that's just personal taste.

Can't tell what kind of ozone system it uses.

Comes with the iffy warranty - that's a minus for me.

Edit - if indeed it needs diverters to work as designed then something is wrong... no diverters on the TR spa needed. Don't like diverters.

The only flaw in your comparison to the T/R is that it is over 8k and the Costco Elie spa was less then 4K and the Legend spa less then 5k....you paid double for little diferance.

the only reply this guy has is "you paid too much" - that's not a debate. The implication is somehow anyone who didn't buy that tub, or another one from costco, didn't do their homework. It's not only unrealistic, it's insulting.

So I'm out.

You're the one that started the comparison and I never said you paid to much but rather compare to quality and features you said was the comparable tub in your post. You where right on and I agree with you to compare the Hotsprings model , tiger River series to the Elite spa sold by Costco.

I only corrected you as to the price of the Cosctco spa being $3999.00 for the Elite you comapred it to. You erroneously said the Elite spa was $7825.00!

About $3800.00 less then what you paid for your Tiger River spa. Thus my point of the Costco spa being a terrific value and easily comparing to spas that cost much more as you so readily pointed out.

Thanks and remember its all about a good soak! :rolleyes:

jmendoza you dont have a platinum Legend spa...you have a different spa than what the thread is about. The way you are posting makes it sound like you do...the Legend that I purchased cost $5200 out the door. Hydrospa doesnt show the Legend on their site, but I believe the Desire is the most similar product to the Legend offered at Costco. There are just a couple differences between the two.

I read the the thread Fred. But I guess your answer explains why the jets don't work on my PEII. You have to pay Hydrospa an extra $1000 to get jets that work.

I read the the thread Fred. But I guess your answer explains why the jets don't work on my PEII. You have to pay Hydrospa an extra $1000 to get jets that work.

No, my answer was that you go and post on any costco thread because you had a bad deal when you bought your PEII. Let it go man, let it go!!! The thread was started about the Legend, and you post as if you have the legend. You are misleading. If your jets dont work, call the 800 number for hydrospa and stop refering to everyone as being paintsumi or however you spell it.

Your mission is complete...you have made everyone on this board well aware how you feel about Hydrospa and costco. If someone asked about a Doberman would you come tell them about your Chihuahuas??? It seems to me you always try and derail the thread by posting your opinion on your ordeal when in fact it has nothing to do with the thread. Go start another thread on why your PEII jets dont work...

Thanks for the replies guys.

One more question - I'm 6'1" and I'm concerned about how well I'd fit in this tub.

Anyone around my height that's been in this tub care to address this?

I sat in a $12,000 cdn Sundance that had a similar foot dome and I found my knees up by my ears.. :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

One more question - I'm 6'1" and I'm concerned about how well I'd fit in this tub.

Anyone around my height that's been in this tub care to address this?

I sat in a $12,000 cdn Sundance that had a similar foot dome and I found my knees up by my ears.. :)

I am 6' even and I dont have a problem, but I dont have abnormally long legs for my height. I guess in the middle seats you could feel a little cramped but the corner seats are fine.