Costco Legend - Owners Only

bgp780

Hi All -

I'm new to this forum although I've been reading it for quite some time as a guest. Anyhow to the point, I'm thinking about buying a Costco Legend hot tub and thought wouldn't it be nice to have a thread with posts ONLY FROM OWNERS.

I really could care less what others have to say. For the money it looks like a great value. Power wise up here in Canada, power is cheap (.08/KWhr) so whatever.

So for all you owners out there let's talk about pros and cons. I've got a few questions off the top - on a scale of 1 - 10 where 10 is awesome.

1. How strong are the feet jets - those little tiny ones at the bottom - this is deal breaker ---

Gotta be able to make your toes go numb... :)

2. Can all the jets be on at once or do they get diverted to half of them only at a time?

3. How happy are you with your tub?

Heck a list of Pro's and Con's would go a long way. It's what you like and hate about YOUR tub. So let's repeat -- PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU OWN THE DARN THING.

Thanks guys, if I decide to buy this puppy I'm going to document the whole process with pics and the like. :) I hate the fact that lots of dealers like to have opinions on this site.... so let's settle it once and for all OWNERS ONLY.

A good suggestion - Please start your thread with - I bought my Costco Legend in <date/year> from <place> Costco...

Steven - Calgary, AB - Canada

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto!

My sister in law is also considering one of these -and I agree! Only owners shoudl answer! I want unbiased answers and data!

Owners, also please document the costs to operate the spa, and where you live. What does it cost in the winter?

Is it true these are made by Master Spa?

What other tubs did you acutally wet test and can compare it to?

What other tubs have you owned? What can you honestly compare it to?

How long have you owned the tub?

Thanks!

Let me start out by saying welcome to the board!

I wanted to echo you on the fact that for the money....it is a great value!

I purchased the Platinum Legend from Costco back in Feb of this year and have had nothing but good things to say about it. I live in Orlando Florida and my power consumption has been minimal since installing it....so much that I really haven't seen a noticeable rise in my electric bill. My electric company keeps a few years worth of bills on their website and I have compared each month that I have owned it to the previous years bill and in some cases it was higher and in some cases it was lower, within 20 to 30 dollars up or down.

I wouldn't own a tub without the foot jets....and yes I feel the jets in this model provide plenty of deep massaging action for the feet. So I would rate them a 8.

There are 6 seats (minus the cool off seat) in the tub and you will have to use the diverter to change between those seats under pump 2. Diverter in one setting hit each corner seat, when you change the diverter the middle seats turn on and corner seats on side under control of pump2 turn off.. I feel the jets really get the water moving so no really reason for me to have all the jets on. Only two seats are off at any given time.

As far as being happy with my tub...I am extremely happy with it and would suggest someone go that route if its for them over paying 2 to 6k more for a tub. rate 10. Just remember going this route doesn't have the dealer support some people need/want so if thats an issue think about it before instead of later.

As far as pro's and con's....the price, the features and the feel to me are all pro's. Not really any cons that I have experienced other than it would be nice to pick a dealers brain on somethings but thats what this forum is for. THERE ARE PLENTY OF THOSE (DEALERS) AROUND and if you are willing to read between the bashing and the sarcasm you can get some good info from here. Some might also consider having to do some work on their tub as a con but they are really easy to work on from what I have experienced. Mind you I haven't gone and replaced a pump or anything but everything is easily accessible with removing the skirt and with a basic diy attitude you can do most everything yourself.

I didnt want to start a new thread so I put it in here. You can do a search on my post since most of them are about the Legend tub since I own on thats about all I comment on with exception of a few threads. Good luck with your choice!! Post some pics when you finally pull the trigger and get a spa.

Jim

I own the Platinum II , the preivious model to the Legend and have had it over a year with absolutely no issue at all and no regrets! At the risk of being blasted by others I would compare my spa to a eight to ten thousand dollar spa on quality, options, and features easily. My energy cost have yet to go over 50 dollars a month in the dead of winter and my kids and myself use it daily and sometimes twice so it is used alot.

1) The footjets will hurt your feet with the pressue if you set it that way so no lack of power on that. I love the foot jets and won't buy a spa without them.

2) It does have a diverter valve and when switched you loose two of the six seats but I find if you leave the diverter in mid position that allows use of all seats and pleanty of water pressure for me.

3) I am extrmemly happy with my purchase and If at any point I am not happy I plan on returning it so no risk whatsoever in the purchase.

I have looked at the Hotsprings " tiger river series" and also the " hotspot" line

Sundance "everyday line" and 600/700 series

Clearwater "Octet" and " Ultasage 8000/9000 series

Calspa 300 series and the 500 line

All the above spa where no better in my opinion then the Costco Platinum spa at the time I looked. The price I paid was $3999.00 and the least expensive one I loked at was $6000.00 and over $10,000.00 for comparable spas in the above lines mentioned.

Happy spa shopping and let us know what you decide!

JWillard,

You bought the tub in Febuary? Do you live in an area that it gets snow? Have you any data on much it costs to heat in the winter in the snow? My sister lives in New Hampshire and it gets cold. She is being told it could cost her $100+ a month to heat in the winter.

You rated the foot jets an "8"? What does that mean? (8 out of 10?). What other foot jets are you comparing them too? Are they better than the foot jets in the Chelsee?

I live in Orlando Florida...no snow here....or else I am moving further south! Ok, first if she is being told it cost that much to operate in snow...I have to ask...Who is telling her this??

I was saying the foot jets are an 8 out of 10 compared to any of other tubs I wet tested. Vita, Jacuzzi...Caldera...

I can not tell you if any of the features are better than any of the other tubs out on the market. I am just giving my opinion. I am very happy with my tub and even more happy I didnt have to pay 10k to get what "I" wanted in a spa.

It doesnt matter what anyone tells you...if you walk away feeling like you got a good deal thats all that counts.

She is being told by a co-worker that his tub fro Costco costs a fortune to operate in the winter

"I guess if it doesnt matter what any one tells you, and as long as you feel it was a good deal, that's all that counts?"

I guess that's one way to look at it.....I FEEL I got a good deal, therefore I DID get a good deal. But I would like to have more objective information.

Anyone have one of these tubs for more than 5 years, who lives in a snow climate, and can compare it to other brands?

I can tell you it will cost me 100 + a month if i do not wrap my Nordic Crown Xl in winter.

If i wrap it and keep my tub at 104 in Zero to Minus Zero it cost 40 to 50 a month.

Im in connecticut

"She is being told by a co-worker that his tub fro Costco costs a fortune to operate in the winter"

He probably is a secret double agent from hot springs trying to scare her.

I don't own one but have two close friends that own PEIIs and I've used both tubs many times.

I really like the foot jets (and all the other jets for that matter) , looks like you already have your diverter answer, and besides the high energy bills they are both happy with thier tubs. They both got them in October of 2005. I think they are a good value for 4K but disagree that they are as good as a 10K tub.

Here is a point your friend might be overlooking..."his" tub he purchased from costco might not be the same tub your other friend is looking at...so just saying they got it from costco doesnt really answer the question you are asking. Costco I believe has offered several brand of tubs.

quote name='jwillard' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:49 PM' post='28389'

Here is a point your friend might be overlooking..."his" tub he purchased from costco might not be the same tub your other friend is looking at...so just saying they got it from costco doesnt really answer the question you are asking. Costco I believe has offered several brand of tubs.

Great point. Costco has been selling hot tubs for at least 6 years. The tubs they've been selling in their stores for the last two years (aka Platinum Elite 1&2, Legend Elite) have attracted quite a bit of attention from the hot tub dealers, such as in this forum, because they're pretty solid tubs with a lot of features for a very competitive price.

"Here is a point your friend might be overlooking..."his" tub he purchased from costco might not be the same tub your other friend is looking at"

This is a good point, Costco does sell several brands, the Hydro ones, the Keys ones, a Hotspring one, and now they seem to have a new line that I don't know who makes. Maybe NEW NW knows. He seems to know a lot about the Costco operation. I have one of the Keys tubs and it has poor insulation. I also think it is quite possible that he has a Hydro tub as IMO this is a problem with these tubs, there are plenty of posts on here about people with Hydro tubs either complaining about high energy bills or asking about adding insulation (why would they want to add insulation if it isn't a problem?

I'm not bashing the tub, I do think it is a good value I just think they are not insulated that well and I just want people to go in with thier eyes open.

This is a good point, Costco does sell several brands, the Hydro ones, the Keys ones, a Hotspring one, and now they seem to have a new line that I don't know who makes. Maybe NEW NW knows. He seems to know a lot about the Costco operation. I have one of the Keys tubs and it has poor insulation. I also think it is quite possible that he has a Hydro tub as IMO this is a problem with these tubs, there are plenty of posts on here about people with Hydro tubs either complaining about high energy bills or asking about adding insulation (why would they want to add insulation if it isn't a problem?

I'm not bashing the tub, I do think it is a good value I just think they are not insulated that well and I just want people to go in with thier eyes open.

But that is like saying A Lexus sucks due to a person opionion of a toyota say, a Camry...same company but different line.

quote name='New NW tub owner' date='Jun 11 2007, 03:25 PM' post='28393'] Great point. Costco has been selling hot tubs for at least 6 years. The tubs they've been selling in their stores for the last two years (aka Platinum Elite 1&2, Legend Elite) have attracted quite a bit of attention from the hot tub dealers, such as in this forum, because they're pretty solid tubs with a lot of features for a very competitive price.

For someone who claims to be an average consumer and a new spa owner, you sure know a lot about Costco's marketing practices and the spa industry. At least the dealers have a motive for defending their stake and questioning the value of a competitor's products. But the disingenuous presence on these boards of cloaked insiders taints the integrity of the exchanges. It's only a matter of time before it gets smoked out.

I apologize for jumping in on this thread but to the original poster- No tub is the same for everyone what one person might think is good pressure you might feel its weak, one might say the seating is comfortable you might find the tub doesnt fit your body. They only way you can really tell is to sit in it and test it out. That return policy might sound good but when it will cost you probably close to $600 to return it for removal, labour, cost of shipping the tub back and probably some other fees it isnt cut and dry. If your looking for a starter tub with lots of bells and whistles then do what you feel is right.

To NW these costco topics only get our attention when you post outlandish claims most of us dealers arent selling directly to the folks looking for info on this board so what do we gain......

Try not posting on Costco tubs for 3 days and we'll all see how much attention is given.

Great point. Costco has been selling hot tubs for at least 6 years. The tubs they've been selling in their stores for the last two years (aka Platinum Elite 1&2, Legend Elite) have attracted quite a bit of attention from the hot tub dealers, such as in this forum, because they're pretty solid tubs with a lot of features for a very competitive price.

6 years? That to me doens't sound like a long time at all. And the attention in this forum really seems to come from just a couple of people who are over the top (in my opinion) about the tub and not because "they're pretty solid tubs".

I have no idea how long Costco has been selling any of their merchandise but I know you can go to Hydrospa's newly redesigned website Hydrospa and you can see for yourself how long they have been in business....over 30 years.

As anyone can see when you start a thread on hydrospa or costco it brings all kinds out of the wood works. What I find funny is read the threads on here where people have had bad deals from any of the other manufacturers and you will not see the bashing like you do when its a hydrospa. You dont get post about someone being a under cover, inside salesperson for that brand like you do on hydrospa...jmendoza post that about anyone who has had a good experience with hydrospa because he feels he was stuck with a bad tub and he is going to let the world know about it!!

You can find pictures of my setup on this forum and I will always come give my honest opinion on the tub I bought for as long as I have it, regardless of the outcome...I am not for or against hydrospa.

Some say the hydrospa tub isnt 10k worth of hot tub...and I also believe that...but I also believe any of the 10k tub arent worth 10k...regardless of who makes it. The reason I bought my Legend is because it offered the same features and plus some that dealers wanted an arm and a leg for at dealerships. I wasnt going to pay more just because a dealer needs to pay his overhead and I didnt need the after sale dealer service.

If you buy a hydrospa...will your experience be as good as mine, will you like your tub as much as I do mine, will it cost an arm and a leg to operate....there are many questions you can ask but until you own one you will never know....just like the people who have bought other brands...everyones experience is different. Just make sure you protect yourself....buy with a credit card so you can dispute if you have any problems.

Yes, some of us like to go over the top...debating on the forum is fun...some just get bent out of shape to fast.

Once you get a tub I hope you have a awesome experience.

"I have no idea how long Costco has been selling any of their merchandise but I know you can go to Hydrospa's newly redesigned website Hydrospa and you can see for yourself how long they have been in business....over 30 years."

Interesting. I went to their website. In one area it says;

"Hydro Spa has manufactured quality hot tubs since 1975. During our 30 years in the hot tub industry........"

Then a few paragraphs later it says;

"The growth of our company has been guided by strong family values since it was founded over 26 years ago."

DO I HEAR 24 YEARS? 20? :lol::lol:

The warrentee isn't bad. Compare the Mark III & Sterling Leisure to the Tiger River Caspian

MKIII/Sterling Leisure

Poseidonite Shell Structural Warranty - Lifetime

Hydro Spa warrants the spa shell structure against the loss of water through the fiberglass laminate of the shell caused by defects in materials and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the spa.

Manifold Plumbing - Lifetime

Hydro Spa warrants the plumbing manifolds to be free of defects in materials or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the spa.

Surface Warranty - 10 year Limited

Hydro Spa warrants the interior acrylic spa surface against blisters, cracks, or delaminating resulting from a defect in the acrylic surface material for a period of 10 years from the date of purchase. This limited warranty is based on the following formula: Retail cost divided by months covered (10 years = 120 months), multiplied by months owned, equals spa owners' replacement cost. Surface warranty issues should be notified to Hydro Spa by certified mail to warranty department within 30 days of finding defect or warranty will become void. Shipping and installation costs of the substitute hot tub unit are the responsibility of the spa owner making the claim. Unit to be replaced must have electrical detached and placed on ground in an area convenient for pick-up.

Electrical Equipment - 2 years

Hydro Spa warrants the electrical equipment and components to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from date of purchase.

Tiger River (Watkins)

7 Year Surface/Structural Warranty

Watkins warrants the acrylic surface material of the Tiger River portable spa to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for seven years. Additionally, the acrylic surface material is structurally warranted not to leak for a period of seven years. The acrylic surface material is non-permeable and will not absorb odors, bacteria or pollutants.

5 Year Component Warranty

Watkins warrants the electrical components, pumps, air valves, levers, bezels and other Tiger River spa components against defects in materials and workmanship for five years. Some parts, most of which can be changed out without the use of tools, such as filter cartridges, filter lid, spa pillows and cover locks, are not included in this warranty, but are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the time of delivery. Spa covers and other spa accessories are specifically excluded from this warranty, although they may be covered by other warranties. Please check with your Tiger River Dealer for details.

5 Year NO-FAULT® Heater Warranty

Watkins unconditionally warrants the NO-FAULT heater to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for five years. This warranty defines unconditional as warranty coverage without exception provided that the component has failed to operate properly within the spa's system.

5 Year No Leak Warranty

Watkins warrants the Tiger River spa against leaks caused by defects in manufacturing and workmanship for five years. This warranty specifically covers leaks from the wall fittings, jet fittings, internal plumbing, internal glue joints, drains, and all bonded parts including the filter compartment and light lens.

3 Year SureWood® Cabinet Warranty

Watkins warrants the SureWood cabinet material to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for three years. This warranty specifically covers the cabinet s structural integrity (exclusive of surface stain), including the SureWood and framing material, and all bonded joints.

The SureWood cosmetic finish is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the time of initial delivery. Fading and weathering of the surface will occur naturally over time, and are not defects. To restore the appearance of the SureWood cabinet, refer to the spa Owner's Manual for proper care and maintenance instructions.

1 Year LED Light Assembly Warranty

Watkins warrants the LED light assemblies, which consists of all lights within the spa including the main light and lighting of any water feature, to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year.

Hard to parse that out to apples and apples, for example the surface warranty is limited in the HydroSpa, so you've got a 1/120th (0.008) % copay for each month you've owned it. Meaning for years 7-10 you get some benefit (30% down to basically 0) over the TR, but for years 1-7 the TR has no "limit" - it's a full warranty.

The electrical (including heater) on the Hydro is 2 yrs vs 5 years for the TR, except just 1 year for the LEDs on the TR.

Overall, the warranty looks like they expect it to hold together for at least 2 years, and the shell to last about 5-7, not much different then TR/Watkins but with more limits and some very interesting wording on that 10 year shell section. I know for the TR/Hotsprings/Watkins at least that the service is local, which for me is a plus.

Well, ok. It's not a moot point to me, but OK. How long can you do that for, and how much does that cost? I mean, assuming you get it wired into your home, you've got the electrical disconnect (and permit, no doubt, if you live where I live) and then someone to pick it up and drive it back to costco. Then you have to buy another one (I mean, I assume you *want* the damn thing and it's just broken) and get another permit to get that one wired in...

Anyway, I can't imagine costco taking a spa back in three years. Maybe I'm wrong.

Well, ok. It's not a moot point to me, but OK. How long can you do that for, and how much does that cost? I mean, assuming you get it wired into your home, you've got the electrical disconnect (and permit, no doubt, if you live where I live) and then someone to pick it up and drive it back to costco. Then you have to buy another one (I mean, I assume you *want* the damn thing and it's just broken) and get another permit to get that one wired in...

First off, imagine it :unsure: Costco will take it back in five years for a full refund, no charges if you wish. Not going to debate it it just is!

Second Off, I dont believe you'd need a permit to exchange a spa when the original electrical service will usually work for whatever spa you choose. I had my house prewired when it was built and I didn't know what spa I wanted so I doubt that cost is a issue.

Thirdly, the cost to return would be just gas for me but even if I where to hire a pro from do I dare say Hotsprings...would be roughly $300.00 to do that part if you don't wan't to do it yourself.

If you read all the people here that own the spa, you won't find one that has returned it yet. and none of them are in a landfill or junkyard that I know of :lol: