Clearwater Spas

Hey there,

I've just started looking at new spas and am wondering what the opinion is on clearwater spas? I've mostly read good things about them and it is very comfortable and well equipped. The model I'm looking at is the Orlando. It's got all the options and is sitting on the dealers floor. I'd also like to know about the Salt Filtration system that it uses. The dealer said it's very simple to use and requires a lot less work than the traditional filtration systems. If anybody has any thoughts on this spa and more importantly any info on the filtration system it would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there are any suggestions for other spas we should be checking out. We looked at the Hotspring Vista, however were not impressed by the moto massage.

I too have been researching the clearwater spas. As you notice there is not alot of feedback on this board for these spas. I live in a smaller town on the other side of Seattle and my choices in hot tub dealers are limited but I have looked mainly at the Caldera, Clearwater Spas and Beachcomber. The beachcomber were out of my price range and I felt they were overpriced as well. As far as the Clearwater goes, I have been looking at the St. Andrew tub. The Clearwater seems a bit higher priced than the Caldera for the same features but I do like the styling a bit more on the Clearwater especially the cabinet. If you don't mind, what price were you quoted on the Orlando?

Good luck!

I was quoted 15.5k CAD on the Orlando, that's with all features possible. It has the Salt Filtration system, speakers, includes the cover, stairs, and a few other things. It was regularly priced at 18k, but it has been on the floor. No visible damage and includes the full warranty.

The spa's seem well built and use quality components. they use balboa controllers, waterway jets and 56 frame motors with sweep 90 's and also fully removable panells for easy access. they also have a veery nice shell that incorporates steel in the shell and I assume that makes it stronger?

15K CAD is about 10K too much for a Clearwater spa, they make a very pretty spa but use inferior parts to build it:

No Fiberglass backed Shell

No Viton in the seals

No Geloy in the Jets

No Incoloy 825 Heater

No extra seal down the seam of the cover

No 2LB cover

Poor lip design to help cover seal

No contact chamber for the ozone system

No sealed bottom

These are things people will not see but will add to the efficiency of longevity of the spa.

I am not blowing smoke either you can look these things up yourself and draw your on conclusions.

...wondering what the opinion is on clearwater spas?

No opinion.

I note that they have an "Energy Smart" label on their site. Google produced no information on any such program in the US (though you might check "Energy Smart Canada"). Perhaps I missed it.

It may be that this is a house label - a marketing tool designed to look like a genuine EnergyGuide label. If so, some consumers may consider this deceptive, while others may consider it a clever tactic to differentiate their product.

No sealed bottom

I am not blowing smoke either you can look these things up yourself and draw your on conclusions.

Well, I did look for myself, and according to their site, the Clearwater has insulation on the bottom and a sealed ABS pan.

Don't have time to check your other claims, but this one looks pretty smoky. B)

I'm going to try to wet test the Hot Springs Vista, and the Jacuzzi J-480. I guess I'm kind of turned off Clearwater based on the fact that they are a smaller company, not enough is known about them, warranty work could be a hassle, and it will cost me more. At least Jacuzzi or Hot Spring will have some sort of support.

If you are looking at a hotsprings model then I would suggest you look at the Costco web site and check out the "highlife" spa and get a idea of the cost to purchase then compare it to the hot springs dealer and see what they can do to give the same type of deal or simply buy it through costco. good luck and have fun!

Spamaster101' date='Jun 7 2007, 01:16 PM' post='28097']

Marquis Spas and Hot Springs are at the top of the list!

You forgot to add "in your opinion" I know it was simply an oversight on your part, we understand.

Through the years those two are the best quality tubs made, yes both have had issues at one time or another but overall over the past 20-years I do rate them as the best. As a service tech if I was in the market it would be a Marquis or Hot Springs.

Yes, this is my opinion but I derived this conclusion from 19+ years of working on spas.

quote name='Spamaster101' date='Jun 8 2007, 08:50 AM' post='28186'

Through the years those two are the best quality tubs made, yes both have had issues at one time or another but overall over the past 20-years I do rate them as the best. As a service tech if I was in the market it would be a Marquis or Hot Springs.

The clearwater spa is the first one that I've seen that at least looks somewhat comparable to the Legend tub that Costco sells, although I'd still prefer the costco tub. The clearwater tub has a molded base with add-on ABS pillars which looks almost as good as the molded-in ABS pedestals in the costco tub and light-years better than the 2x4 wooden junk in so many of the tubs out there. The clearwater tub has the heated cabinet like the costco tub with reflective insulation. The clearwater tub has what seems to be fairly nice digital controls although it's not clear if they are the industry-leading Balboa controls like the costco tub has. The clearwater jets don't look quite as good as the costco jets as they are a dull grey plastic instead of the shiny stainless steel . The clearwater tubs look like they have pretty good hydro jet patterns which is really what the jets are all about and maybe they are as good as the hydrotherapy stuff by hydrospa , makers of the costco tub. The clearwater pop-up waterfall looks better than the costco waterfall which is not well done. Both tubs compare pretty well on filter area...the costo tub has 100 sq. ft. while the clearwater's go from 50 to 150 depending on the model. As far as price, probably the costco tub is a lot cheaper but then you don't get any dealer or color choice or startup assistance like you would with a clearwater spa so there are some trade-offs for the lower price.

NW wrote;

The clearwater spa is the first one that I've seen that at least looks somewhat comparable to the Legend tub that Costco sells, although I'd still prefer the costco tub. The clearwater tub has a molded base with add-on ABS pillars which looks almost as good as the molded-in ABS pedestals in the costco tub and light-years better than the 2x4 wooden junk in so many of the tubs out there.

There are actualy several brands that do it that way and several that do it even better.

The clearwater tub has the heated cabinet like the costco tub with reflective insulation.

This CAN be a good thing but without starting an insulation debate, it can also be a bad thing

The clearwater tub has what seems to be fairly nice digital controls although it's not clear if they are the industry-leading Balboa controls like the costco tub has.

You also forgot to add IYO as Gecko makes a better controler IMO and I believe Balboa is up to about 15 levels of controllers from very inexpensive 200 dollar value controls to top of the line 12 hundred dollar boxes

The clearwater jets don't look quite as good as the costco jets as they are a dull grey plastic instead of the shiny stainless steel .

This is optional and available on about 30 brands

there are some trade-offs for the lower price.

Finaly those words emerge from your fingers

My neighbor has a ultrsage 9000 from Clearwater Spas and really likes it. We have had our spas for over a year and no issue with either my Platinum Elite II or he with his Clearwater. It is very interestig to note that the construction and parts mirror one another in the two brands of spas but to be honest I paid $3999.00 for my Costco spa and he paid $8500.00 for his Ultrasage and if you switched the sticker youd be hard pressed to pick out the brand from the other! Roger hit on a great point as well in the jets being optional as well as a waterfall and non wood siding, Costco has all this on their tub and alot more like 5" to 3" tappered cover which is also a option on alot of high end spas for no charge. Check it out for yourself and you will be shocked at the quality offered for less then 5k at Costco.

I haven't checked out the costco tubs, but in reality I think I'm going to stick to one of the larger manufacturers. Money isn't an issue as much as convenience and quality. I definitely think that if I were in a position where there was a budget I'd check out the costco spas, however, to me and my family, the time saved adding insulation or any other DIY jobs far outweigh the difference in price. I'm not knocking the costco tubs in any way, just going by what I've read on here. Also, with the dealers I'm looking at, there are 24 hour technicians available and they look after delivery, install, and are going to start the spa up for us.

I compare it to hyundai commercials, where they compare their car to a BMW. Sure the Hyundai has some of the features for a lot less money, and even offers some things that are optional on the bimmer, however, BMW is the car for me each and every day and no Hyundai will match the quality. No hyundai dealer will change my brakes under warranty, and no hyundai dealer will give me a 70k loaner while mines in the shop. You work hard for your money, so you have to enjoy the little time you get off.

But then again Hyundai beat the crap out of the bimmer in the Azera lineup in quality and performance and a much better warranty. I have money as well and not a issue but to needlessly spend it seems silly. I used to have a infiniti Q45 and loved it and yes it was better then the bmw 5 I had by far but I am smarter with my money then before which also includes paying half the cost for a spa and getting the same thing. I also don't agree with your 24 hour spa service tech, thats a untrue assertion to make, just look at the " big boy" mfg. and see the complaints including Arctic, H.S. and more. One more thing, Hydrospa has been around along time and makes a lot of spas so not a small timer by any means with a network of service centers and dealers.

='soakerman' date='Jun 8 2007, 10:47 PM' post='28218']

But then again Hyundai beat the crap out of the bimmer in the Azera lineup in quality and performance and a much better warranty. I have money as well and not a issue but to needlessly spend it seems silly. I used to have a infiniti Q45 and loved it and yes it was better then the bmw 5 I had by far but I am smarter with my money then before which also includes paying half the cost for a spa and getting the same thing. I also don't agree with your 24 hour spa service tech, thats a untrue assertion to make, just look at the " big boy" mfg. and see the complaints including Arctic, H.S. and more. One more thing, Hydrospa has been around along time and makes a lot of spas so not a small timer by any means with a network of service centers and dealers.

Not to make this a Hyundai thread but those things are garbage in a few years. Or should I say right after warranty. You don't keep them for 6-8 years like I do my chevy trucks. Ya get what you pay for. This of course is my "expert" opinion and nothing more....LOLOLOL