Arctic Spa Yukon, hose unglued

The_Penguin

Hi all. It was time for a drain/clean/refill, went to turn off the breaker, and it had tripped. Opened the cover to a half-full tub. Was fine 3 days previous.

Found one of the "flex" hoses unglued.  I would normally call the tech I used when I needed some other work done on the "flex" hose after I replaced a pump, as he's pretty good with a heat gun (these flex hoses aren't very flexible) and glue, but he's been unavailable.  I'm contemplating fixing it myself, wondering what kind of glue I would use.

Thanks.

arctic-hose.jpg

So I tried to hire someone to do the fix, (1 part laziness, 2 parts my back and arthritic ankle don't like me doing that sort of work, and 2 parts I don't trust myself to not melt a hose with the heat gun). of 4 companies only 1 called me back and said they wouldn't re-glue the hose but would replace the manifold. Uh no, why potentially mess up 4 connections to fix 1?

So I did it myself.  Haven't leak-tested yet. I'm installing a new cover lifter, if it doesn't clear the fence I may need to move the tub an inch or 2. Once that's done, fill 'er up and pray. :)  Wish me luck.

19 hours ago, The_Penguin said:

why potentially mess up 4 connections to fix 1?

They are concerned that they won't be able to get a good seal without damage to the manifold or jet connections, especially that close one. Old flex gets stiff and old pvc gets brittle. It's not uncommon to have accidents happen under those circumstances. They are covering their butt by just quoting you the safe repair. I'm surprised they didn't include that jet too. I also estimate for worst-case scenario since I'll often get stuck paying for the difference myself if I don't.

And those 4 connections become 12 including splices for a replacement.

19 hours ago, The_Penguin said:

So I did it myself

👍

7 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

They are concerned that they won't be able to get a good seal without damage to the manifold or jet connections, especially that close one. Old flex gets stiff and old pvc gets brittle.  I also estimate for worst-case scenario

👍

Makes sense.  Thanks for the insight!

On 9/8/2023 at 1:57 PM, The_Penguin said:

So I did it myself.  Haven't leak-tested yet. I'm installing a new cover lifter, if it doesn't clear the fence I may need to move the tub an inch or 2. Once that's done, fill 'er up and pray. :)  Wish me luck.

Sooo. Yesterday I finished installing the new lifter and gave it a fill. No leaks. Fired it up, and with pump 2 on there was just the slightest seepage. Torqued the hose clamp a bit and it's fine.  Yes, I know that means the glue job wasn't perfect. 

Eff it. I'll keep an eye on it, if it gets worse, I'll try to buy 8 inches of that *&^ing Arctic hose, and re-do it.

Then this morning, hoping it was up to temp to ease my aching back, it was 66 degrees.  F.

Sonofa.... Just like the last time I did plumbing,  https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/53650-arctic-yukon-no-heat-problem-identified/#comment-211502  the heater circuit has failed.  Way worse this time.

This F*&^ing hot tub hates me.

I'm too pissed off to evaluate whether I can fix it, or have to source a new board.  

That's a tomorrow job.  Drinking on the couch instead of in the hot tub.  FML.

image.jpeg

Took a good look today, and there's enough copper left to do a decent board repair. Will need to epoxy a new terminal in for enough stability to push the relay on.

Went to get a new relay, the Omron relay has been obsolete for a while, and out of stock at my usual suppliers. There's one on eBay in Montreal for too much money and $30.00 shipping, and an Arctic store in Edmonton that wants $40.00 plus who knows how much shipping.

Discouraged, I took a hard look at a Global motherboard that should work with my existing sensors, but at close to $700... and I found out it won't fit in the metal box that the Global/Genius 3000 is in.  And an Ecopak (same board and new sensors, in a plastic box) is close to $1200, and I'm not sure about the motor connectors... Also, the way these boards fry, not sure I want it in a plastic box :)

After a head-shake and resisting buying a new board, I found that Potter & Brumfield have a compatible relay for about $10.00 locally.  $10.00 seems a bit better than $1200.

I may continue this project tomorrow, will post updates.

• Like 1

Update:

The board repair was not as professional/pretty looking as it was in my head, but still better than I originally hoped.

Basically, I cleaned up the burnt areas, and epoxied down the copper traces. Inserted a new terminal (stolen from the unused relay). Inserted the stolen terminal, soldered the solder side, soldered the component side then added some epoxy to give it some strength.   Re-installed the board, and fired up the tub.   All good! Temperature slowly increasing.

Let's not talk about the neck jets and waterfall controlls that just spin and don't do anything.  That's next week's problem.