Water care- new hot tub, well water

Erika

I just got new Caldera Geneva spa and started use yesterday.  Initial fill with well water.  Strips say highest square pH and alkalinity, hardness maybe slightly more than optimal.  Added the descale as directed and then chlorine.  Lots and lots of free chlorine last night when started up, went in anyways (3 people for 1 hour). This morning- no chlorine and a yellow greasy-like ring just above water line.  What is this?  pH and alkalinity high today, zero free chlorine. Hardness good or mildly high.  Advice for best water care please!! My tub is 410 gallons. I live in Northern Virginia.  Thanks!!!BE535EE9-8CDA-420F-A8FB-32D88F2C1430.thumb.jpeg.11e7f1c40be7c5f406df76a1c9bb7f07.jpeg283CA6E5-F327-4C90-88AA-63AA40BDD269.thumb.jpeg.2c909b3aac4b923b312aa64e7781a0f7.jpeg

2DDE1A05-15D7-4DAE-9460-79FAC652CF59.jpeg

Congrats on the new tub.

12 hours ago, Erika said:

Initial fill with well water.  Strips say highest square pH and alkalinity, hardness maybe slightly more than optimal.  Added the descale as directed and then chlorine.

Your test strips are almost useless for measuring pH, TA and CH.  You are going to want to invest in a good liquid test kit, like the Taylor K2006, or take your water to a pool/spa place and have them test it for you. 

12 hours ago, Erika said:

This morning- no chlorine and a yellow greasy-like ring just above water line.  What is this?

The yellow scum line could be one of two things or a combination of both.  I have seen deposits at the water line after using a metal sequestrant (like your de-scaler) but for me they are usually orange (from iron being pulled out of the water).  More likely, it is from the bathers themselves and could be any combination of deodorants, body lotions, hair products, etc. Try using a scum bug or similar to lessen this and insist that bathers either have a shower first or don't have this stuff on their bodies when they use the tub.

No chlorine means you did not add enough after you got out of the tub.  You need to add enough for it to oxidize bather waste and still leave a residual behind.  Notionally, you need 5-7 ppm per bather hour of chlorine.  Use the the pool calculator to help you determine how much to use depending on the type of chlorine you are using.

I would also recommend that you read the stickies at the top of the hot tub water chemistry sub forum on this site.  If you are using chlorine granules alone, you will have to change your water often to compensate.  Other methods such as the dichlor then bleach method, avoids this.  

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

As CST mentioned - new spas are filthy from factory assembly/testing.  The internal plumbing is also pH neutralizing internally.  Water chemistry is a total mess on any new spa - expect to need extra sanitizer for the first few weeks and balancing pH/TA to be a nightmare for the first fill of water.   After 3-6 weeks, grab some AhhSome purge cleaner follow the directions and then drain/refill.  I promise water chemistry is MUCH easier after the first refill.

Final pro tip - if you're on well water consider getting a pool pre-filter for your hose - this will help filter the water when filling the spa.  The slower you fill, the more filtration you'll get.   I leave a pre-filter installed at all times on my garden hose - great for refilling the pool/spa and my garden seems to be growing better since I started using the filtered water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for their input and advice.  

dashmer: I have K2006 water test kit on order.  Wiped away the yellow scum line with Mr. Clean sponge (that thing is amazing!!).  In the interim, test strips I use daily.  Water hardness is where it should be. pH is only slightly high but alkalinity still highest.  Have trouble keeping free chlorine in the water.  Hot tub company came out to fix a faulty front panel clip and tech said he thinks water will even out on own but did test my water showing high phosphate.  He recommended Phosphate remover and that should allow more free chlorine??

otherwise, my schedule is: shocking once weekly, adding half cap chlorine (like 3 tablespoons) chlorine daily. I plan on hosing down filter weekly.

what is your take on descale?  How often to use? And at what point do I add pH down stuff?

cranbiz and ratchett- thanks for info.  Ahhsome purge- will read more on that, and will get the pre-pool filter for hose:-)

my well has little iron.  Have water treatment for the house, but not hose bibs. Having that tested and equipment serviced in a couple weeks anyways, so am gonna have tech test and teach more:-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erika said:

showing high phosphate.

If using bathing suits do not wash with regular loads of laundry. Have a dedicated pair of trunks and just rinse them thoroughly after use. You always have to remember anything that is attached to your body will come out in the hot water. Detergents, under arm deodorant, shampoo, hand lotion and makeup is a water quality killer. Most of those products contain phosphates. Your spa is new and you are in the honeymoon stage and I'm sure it is getting higher than normal use. Bathing suits are yet to be "worked in". This is why I recommend a AhhSome purge (visit their website for proper instructions), drain and clean to my customers after the first few weeks to remove any bio film and anything left over in the plumbing from the manufacturing process. After that I am positive it will get easier.  

2 hours ago, Erika said:

Have water treatment for the house, but not hose bibs.

Make sure the water softener is bypassed. Filling with softened water can be done but creates it's own set of issues.

Best #1 thing you can do is to keep your filters clean. Buy a second set. Soak in AhhSome filter wash every 6 weeks for a deeper cleaning over weekly/biweekly cleaning. Filters should last 1 to 1.5 years.