Spa cover failure

My Hot Springs Prodigy H will be 5 years old in June 2022.  We're on 3rd cover and it is failing too. It's an outdoor spa in CA so it gets sun.  The lid is all cracked and water gets in making it so heavy I can't open it. The thread along the middle seam is all falling out. I'm bummed to have to pay another $600 or more to replace it. I'm looking for another brand or solutions so that we can get more use out of it. I can't stand the idea of chucking these things in the landfill.  So awful.

I'm in Arizona, and my spa is on my covered patio so gets more sun in the "winter" when the sun is low.  However in 33 years with this spa, I would say that I only replaced the cover 3 times.  I never cover the cover, or apply any coating or cleaner to it. 

Yes, if water gets into the foam itself, the cover is way heavier and does not insulate as well.

Vinyl exposed to sun will dry and crack. Use 303 aerospace protectant.

Cracked vinyl is rarely the cause of a cover becoming heavy. Under the vinyl, the foam insert is covered in plastic, and the underside often has drain holes or is porous to allow condenstion to escape. If it is the vinyl causing it you would find a volume of water sloshing around inside. Most heavy covers are the result of chemical fumes breaking down the plastic and allowing the foam to absorb moisture. 

So, what is your maintenance routine?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Vinyl exposed to sun will dry and crack. Use 303 aerospace protectant.

I have an old VW Convertible with a vinyl top.  The UV from direct sun is a killer for vinyl, way worse than the heat here in Arizona.

Personally, I use no protectant on the convertible top or my spa cover.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:21 AM, linda ryan said:

My Hot Springs Prodigy H will be 5 years old in June 2022.  We're on 3rd cover and it is failing too. It's an outdoor spa in CA so it gets sun.  The lid is all cracked and water gets in making it so heavy I can't open it. The thread along the middle seam is all falling out.

I'm in central Florida.  My Hotspring Highlife spa is in direct sun almost all year round.  My tub/cover is about 30 months old and still holding up (although I likely will get only another year or so before it's completely shot)

The secret is to wash the cover monthly with mild dish soap and water. Let it dry and then apply a coating of 303 Aerospace protectant - this helps extend the lifespan of vinyl when exposed to direct sun.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:21 AM, linda ryan said:

I'm looking for another brand or solutions so that we can get more use out of it. I can't stand the idea of chucking these things in the landfill.  So awful.

Note that not all aftermarket covers will form-fit as nicely as the OEM cover - so you might not get the same energy efficiency when the lid is closed.   That said, be aware that if you do get a different brand and have a Hotspring coverlifter, you're going to need to ensure that the cover has "reinforced" side walls so the cover lifter can mount to it.