Worth trying to fix?

Mat739

Hi,

This is a very vague question but hear me out.

I never owned a hot tub but know pool stuff and equipment. 

One of my neighbors is selling the attached spa with following description :

2004. Sunrise Spa Genesis 250

6 person Sunrise Spa. 3 motors (2 need to be replaced); 1 airblower; all pumps have new mechanical seals; heater, lights and control panel all work; most jets have been replaced; plastic outer siding is grey and brown, can be replaced .

Attached is picture

Should I even think about checking it and think about possibly fixing it?

Thanks

Mat

275849442_5504419019585536_4510185233530031759_n.png

Depends on what he wants for it and does it leak.

That picture is not a current picture, time changes things. You want to see it full and you already know it needs 2 new pumps/motors so factor that in. Then it needs to be moved. Can you do it right or will you need to hire someone? The minor cosmetic stuff is just that. Coat of paint or stain (if wood) fixes the panels.

It's always a gamble to buy an old used tub. If you have the time and ability, can move it and the tub is the right price, then it could be a good deal. If you need to start paying people to do the work on top of buying parts, it is probably better to pass on it.

Thanks cranbiz for the advice.

I wouldn't hire anyone to do the repair work, I would do it myself.

What I worry is more how could I find the parts. I live in Montreal and not sure how accessible parts would be.

I saw there's also more generic parts, how well can we make them fit on older spas?

Pumps, typically do people try to rebuild them?

As long as you can see it running. #1 Rule never buy a used spa you don't see running. Pumps can be DIY if you are semi handy 4/10 skill level so judge yourself lots of youtube vids out there.

Sunrise Factory parts Grimsby,Ontario here: https://parts.leisuremanufacturing.com/

• Like 1

Sounds like good advice to always only buy a spa if you can see it running first. I was also wondering 2005, isn't that too old for a used spa? I'm thinking maybe the plastic/fiberglass might be really frail. As well to access the equipment under the spa, is it usually a nightmare to get to the parts because of the sprayed insulation?

I relate it to buying an older car.  Like Cranbiz says its all about how much you are getting it for and how much its going to cost to get it running at your place. Just moving the tub might cause more issues with broken plumbing. And once you get it running, its still an '05 tub so other things will come up. But if you are handy and willing to put up with repairs, that will help. 

Regarding to getting to equipment, normally there are access panels for that without having to dig into insulation. But if there are plumbing leaks and such, then you would have to start digging.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:28 PM, Mat739 said:

I was also wondering 2005, isn't that too old for a used spa? I'm thinking maybe the plastic/fiberglass might be really frail. As well to access the equipment under the spa, is it usually a nightmare to get to the parts because of the sprayed insulation?

Most spas from that generation are built with pressure-treated lumber framing which used to contain arsenic - this greatly extended the lifespan and rot-resistance of the wood.  Modern PT lumber made after 2002 contains copper which is more eco-friendly, but also more susceptible to rot in a shorter period of time (especially when exposed to moisture like a leak inside the cabinet).

Industry average for modern spas is roughly 7-14 years depending on care/maintenance.  As mentioned - hot tubs have the best lifespan when left filled with water and operating.  But it's rare to see modern spas running for 20 years - they exist, some even from the 80's are chugging along, but it's really rare to find.

If I were buying a spa that old, I'd want to see it filled with water, heated to temp, and running.  I'd want to walk around and check the tub for any leaks, as well as look inside the cabinet for any signs of leaks.  However in reality, unless that tub was stored indoors (like a patio or basement), I'd have my concerns about it's lifespan.

Even if you get the tub for free and put $2000+ into repairs, you still might not get many years before it's completely shot.

My advice would be to pass and watch the local classifieds for any newly-listed spas which you can see filled with water and running in the photos.  The best deals get scooped up fast, but you can often find a fully functional spa for around $4000 to $6000 with plenty of life left in it.  Two years ago I saw a beautiful two-year old $15000 Hotspring Highlife hot tub selling for $7000 - it sold in less than 24 hours haha