hot tub/spa suggestions for whirlpool effect

Kelseyeek

Hello, I've finally talked my wife into letting us get a spa, and now we're trying to figure out which spa would work for us.  One of the stumbling blocks we've hit upon is regarding the shape of the spa (round or square), and the jets.  Neither of us really likes the intense jets very much - they get really irritating <to us> after a short while.  Now the foot-jets, on the other hand, we're both excited for. 

My wife also has started from the position that she wants a round hot tub, because she thinks it'll be more social.  Which in general I won't argue with, except that it seems hard to find a round tub that seats more than 5 (not counting sitting on a step), I'm not sure if I'd like the uprightness of the posture, and none of them seem to have headrests. 

However, when researching round tubs, we stumbled across the discussion of whirlpool jets on the Nordic hot tubs.  The experience of a whole body current, as opposed to a direct jet, seems like it might be one we'd both enjoy.  

Anyway, the point of this post was to ask a couple of questions.

First, does anyone have any thoughts on the whirlpool-type sensation?  

Second, are there any other manufactures who have a similar circular-current feature?  It is so hard to search for this because basically every word related to hot tubs seems to be some various on circular/vortex/current/flow/whirlpool, and they really don't seem to be used consistently.  And most of the results point me to bath tubs anyway - none of which really seem to create the type of current I'm trying to find anyway.  

Third, and depending on the answer to the second question, is the effect much different in a square spa, one that has a more open seating concept rather than lounges?  

Fourth, any comments on the round vs. square debate?  

Presumably we'll be able to find an opportunity to sit in one of the Nordic models to experience this ourselves, but so far I haven't found anyone who has one in stock.  Maybe I just need to make a stock-tank diy hot tub and find a way to test this.  Or crank our pool up to 100 (never tried to see how hot it can get - I'm feeling challenged now...), and then somehow get a couple of water pumps in there to simulate the effect.   But before giving my wife another excuse to roll her eyes at me I thought perhaps I'd see the wisdom of the internet.  

Thank you!

https://tubtopia.com/round-vs-square-hot-tubs/#:~:text=Square tubs often come with,able to sit up straight. 

Agree with most of what is in the link. My personal preference would be square with no lounger and the bigger the better L x W and deep 36"+ any less and you won't be happy. Also hard wired 240V over 120V plug and play especially if you live in a cold climate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kelseyeek said:

First, does anyone have any thoughts on the whirlpool-type sensation?  

After waiting decades to get my first spa, I had the same feeling about many of the tiny bullet-jets used by many brands to up the jet-count numbers, but they don't actually *feel* comfortable.

Back in the 80's Hotspring patented their Motomassager jet technology which is basically a jet connected to a hose which moves up and down your spine.  These jets are unlike any other brand in the industry - and only available on the Hotspring Highlife collection (and two of the Hotspot tubs - the SX and TX).     If you have a Hotspring dealer in your region, I'd try to schedule a wet-test to see what you think - be sure to remember that oscillation speed and jet pressure can be controlled by shutting off other jets around the tub (on the seats you're not using currently for example) - the motomassager jets on my tub can be almost too powerful at full pressure for my wife, but I like to close all other jets and send full pressure to work out knots after exercising.

Hot_Spring_Moto_Massage.gif.dd6b2d0c939bfb0838a067be5b393f76.gif

Second, are there any other manufactures who have a similar circular-current feature?  It is so hard to search for this because basically every word related to hot tubs seems to be some various on circular/vortex/current/flow/whirlpool, and they really don't seem to be used consistently.  And most of the results point me to bath tubs anyway - none of which really seem to create the type of current I'm trying to find anyway.  

Every dealer has their gimmicks and marketing buzzwords to try and entice a sale.  Although I think a few other brands have similar features - maybe it was Marquis?

I'd try to schedule some wet-testing with some of the bigger brand dealers in your region - get your butt in the tub and find out which ones feel the best for your personal needs.  Jacuzzi (and their sister brand Sundance) provide some very therapudic experiences when you invest in the higher tier flagship models (base models from most brands will simply get the water hot and some water moving around, they won't really give you any sort of spa experience).

Third, and depending on the answer to the second question, is the effect much different in a square spa, one that has a more open seating concept rather than lounges?  

Fourth, any comments on the round vs. square debate?  

For me it was about aesthetics, we have a square corner on our patio and I wanted to maximize the space available while still walking around the spa.  However I really wanted a lounger because I enjoy reclining and I'm glad I have one because I really enjoy it (especially when stargazing at night)

However keep in mind that on average, most spa owners entertain guests in their spa only 3-4 times per year (I average about 2-3 people per year who want to "test" out my hottub).  As you'll discover, things like lotions, perfumes, moisturizers, soapy bathing suits, etc can introduce phosphates into the water (which can cause a few different problems with your water chemistry) and you might not want people jumping in your spa without rinsing off first.  So unless they're people living at home, I would focus on getting a tub which fits your personal needs - to me I went with a nicer spa for the money, instead of the largest spa my money could buy.

Mr. CanadianSpyTech - Thank you for the link.  I think we really need to find one in stock somewhere that we can try.  And I'm not a fan of the loungers, either.  We're a bit constrained space wise.  We have an indoor pool, and the edge where can fit a hot tub is 8', but that 8' also has to include the pool cover.  I could move that so it's right on the rim of the pool, leaving me a little less than 7'  Otherwise, the wall there abuts our shop area, which we aren't using.  So I've been thinking of opening up that wall and stealing 4-5 ft from that room.  The fortunate thing is that the shop has plenty of unused circuits, including a 220/40a circuit, so wiring should be the least of my issues.  Unfortunate thing is that there's a load bearing wall I'd need to cut through, which will be fun.

My wife keeps trying to argue to a smaller size (b/c it will most often be just her and I, and *maybe* our twin sons).  I keep thinking we should size at least for 6, because when we have parties that's about how many are in the pool.  But I don't know.  

As to the height - I'm not sure we need to go as deep as the Crown Xl, with it's 38.5" depth.  Nobody will be in the hot tub who's over 6'1.  Well, my brother in law is 6'7, but I'm not planning on sizing it for him.  35-6 seems like the sweet spot.  

Thank you for the link.  I think we really need to find one in stock somewhere that we can try.  And I'm not a fan of the loungers, either.  We're a bit constrained space wise.  We have an indoor pool, and the edge where can fit a hot tub is 8', BUT that 8' also has to include the pool cover.  I could move that so it's right on the rim of the pool, leaving me a little less than 7'  Otherwise, the wall there abuts our shop area, which we aren't using.  So I've been thinking of opening up that wall and stealing 4-5 ft from that room.  The fortunate thing is that the shop has plenty of unused circuits, including a 220/40a circuit, so wiring should be the least of my issues.

My wife keeps trying to argue to a smaller size (b/c it will most often be just her and I, and *maybe* our twin sons).  I keep thinking I'd rather have the flexibility of something larger, but we'll see.

At the moment the Nordic Retreat SE is winning the fight.

Bigger is usually better when it comes to a hot tub. A 4 person tub is in reality a 2 person tub. A 6 person is in actuality a 4 person.

I have a 5-6 person tub which sits 3 comfortably, 4 people are OK, 5 people better like each other a lot and like playing footsie and there is no way you can shoe horn in 6 regular sized adults nor keep water from overflowing if it's filled to the correct height for 1 person.

• 2 months later...

I got a Nordic Warrior XL a couple months ago.  I thought the whirlpool sounded great, but in reality is simply pushes you sideways as you try to sit, so I rarely use that feature.