Making my hot tub mouse "proof"

BigPaus

Hi all,

Looking for some help on items to use to create as much as a mouse free hot tub as I can. 

We took ownership of this hot tub about 3 months ago, after some initial wiring issues, I got everything solved and it's been running flawless now. I cleaned out the motor/control board area as there were some items in there to deter mice, but they have since deteriorated (mouse poison in tin bowls, steel wool, and some dryer sheets).

From my research so far, I've cleaned out all the poop, nibbles from the tubs foam and put in a more potent poison for now (brother in law is a farmer, so I get access to a bit better stuff there). I would like to spray more foam in there and I am wondering if I can just use general 'Great Stuff' or do I need to use something more heat resistant? Fire rated? Next I want to use peppermint oil - does anyone have any experience with this working, how long it lasts or anything? I can't find any info other then it's a good idea to deter them. 

I believe they are coming in through the access panel, so I going to look at sealing that a lot better as well.

Any help is much appreciated! 

You seem to have most of the tricks, but I will add mothballs to your list.

If kitty is not an option, you could try any of a wide variety of mouse-eating snakes under the spa. If you know a farmer you should be able to get an appropriate forked-tongue varmint killer come spring. Every snake I see (except the long- tooth variety) goes in my barn. They don't stay forever, but will hang out for a while as long as the buffet is open.