Question about Arctic Spa Cub

brunp

I recently acquired a new used Hot Tub and I am puzzled by a problem I have with a diverter that is next to the control panel. Should it have an air opening allowing air to enter the system? 

At the moment, I am having a FLO problem and I am thinking the spa motor gave up.

Would that make sense?

Well, a diverter shifts water flow from one set of jets to another and should not have an air opening. Air control valves open to allow air to mix with the water for a more intense massage from the jets, and do have an air opening. There are usually several around the spa.

A flo error can be caused by many things, including a bad pump. Let's start with some cheaper possibilities first. Are there any other symptoms? Remove the filter. Post a pic of your equipment and circuit board so we know what we are dealing with.

With my hot tub, there are two small control valves (one next to the control panel) and another next to the one that opens/closes the water flow to the water-fall feature over the filter. Both control valves are the exact same part. Same size bear paw to turn the dial.

The one next to the control panel has only one pipe and an air opening from the bottom (see picture). When I trace the line, it connects to many smaller flexible lines that appear to connect to each jet, so I suspect that is the air-control valve. I remember when I first turned on the pump, opening the valve caused air bubbles to flow out the jets.

What I think is happening is that the pump (about 10 years old) has failed after running for about a day or so. I acquired this hot-tub used (but for free).  It appears to not allow enough water flow and when I open that air-control valve (pictured), water comes out the bottom. So I suspect the pump is not pulling in the air and water is flowing then out the the air-hoses.

Circuit-board is new, nothing wrong with that.

Paul

5A143A88-9462-41D6-8BFF-9B33EB7BF5F4.heic

Yes, that is an air control. If the pump is not working water can leak from that only if the water level is too high. If it only leaks when you turn on the pump it is another problem entirely.

There are likely fuses for the pump, if you post the pic I can tell you for sure.

Or you can go ahead and buy a pump first, then work your way back to the cheap or free fix. I have only been doing this for 25 years, so what do I know?

It is the middle of the night, so I guess I will have to look at it tomorrow morning. Yes, the water leaks from that hole when I turn on the pump with the control valve open. With it closed, nothing and obviously, no leaking with the bump off.  You are right that I should pop-open the circuit board and look at fuses.

I should probably pop open and check the control panel as you are right, there may be some fuses. I haven't popped it open yet to look, but I do hear the pump running when I flip the breaker, but it doesn't go to the next level when I turn on the pump to fire up the jets. Just stays at the same speed.. Just to let you know, I did replace the pressure switch two days ago to resolve a FLO issue. The previous switch was old and the new one fixed the problem. I then proceed to heat up the water, run it it for a couple hours to do a whirlpool rinse. Then I drained, and filled it back up again. That is when I started having this current problem.

I will report back when I wake up in the morning.

Paul

Edited by brunp
Need to add extra information.

Filters out...Reset breaker and wait for PR (prime mode) to appear on the screen. press temp up button once and nothing else.

Does the spa pump #1 start and move water in the spa on low speed?

Visually inspect to shaft of the motor between the wet end of the pump and the motor. Is the shaft spinning on low speed? If yes is it moving water in the spa? If it is running but not moving water back the coupler that attaches to the face of the pump until you get a bit of water coming out and the air is released. 

Let us know results and the answers to all the questions

I see FLO on screen. The pressure switch is new. If there is air trapped, could that cause water to come out the air flow diverter when open?

Breaker is off and pump is pushing out something and I can hear the pump go high when I turn on jets. 

Where the pipe attaches to the pump, loosen the fitting to bleed out an air lock.

The leaking water and the flo error are probably not related, unless the leak is getting something electronic wet like the pressure switch or you closed all of the jets.

I would still like some pics of the equipment. There is only so much we can do from here. If you don't provide the info we can't provide a solution. We get alot of people needing help and are volunteers who do this in our spare time. The more information you can provide the more likely you are to get a timely solution. 

2 hours ago, brunp said:

Not sure what you mean by letting if dry out? it never got wet.

I wouldn't know if your leaking air control was leaking on it or not. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

pressure switch is automatic and set perfectly by factory in China

🤣😂🤪

New does not mean good. But what do we know, we just fix spas for a living?

Turn off power. Unplug pressure switch from board. Turn on power and get flo error. Jump pressure switch pins on board with screwdriver. If flo error does not go away you need a new board. If it does go away then your pressure switch is not closing (due to low flow or bad switch) or your wire is damaged (perhaps a mouse chewed it).

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

sales guy says

...whatever is easiest to shut you up and still get commission. Tech guys say your pressure switch is bad or out of adjustment. Or your flow is still restricted. Remove filter if you put it back after your first failed attempt back when all of your jets were closed and you decided it could not be the filter. Check the pump inlet for debris. Adjust the pressure switch.

6 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Please follow my previous instructions. If you do not follow instructions and give the answers we can't help you

Between @CanadianSpaTech and myself we have over 50 years of hands-on experience fixing spas. If you feel you can get better advice somewhere else then ask the sales guy what he thinks is wrong. I am sure he will be happy to sell you anything you don't need.

I apologize, if I set one or both of you off in someway. I'm not here to debate you guys. I am trying to provide you with answers and some of your initial suggestions helped eliminate causes. Kind of hard to provide a timely and accurate response between having to deal with my family and this issue at same time. 

I am at my cottage now so I won't able to continue diagnostic until I get back in a week.

I'll take the try the jumper option when I get back next week. I sure hope it is not a circuit both but I like the idea of faking out the pressure switch.

Will see what happens when I get back to it next week. I do appreciate your input. 

It can be frustrating for us when we ask for things to be done but don't get answers back. For most issues there is an order in which things need to be done and if say step 3 is missed and we don't know that step 3 has been missed it can be hard to diagnose and or offer advice. Also we don't know your ability and when it comes to things that can kill you like electrical we need you to provide the answers to our questions and follow our directions.  Enjoy the cottage. We will be here when you get back. 

I hear ya. I am fairly versatile. I have done electric in my basement, installed new breakers, partially finished a basement, built 3 decks, we'll, almost done my third at cottage. 

Also, restoring my dad's old 1995 bmw. Ripped interior apart and restoring it. 

I am confident in anything clean and electric in terms of potentially reinstalling a circuit board as I have rebuilt computers in the past. 

Having said that, I am not skilled at anything plumbing related. I understand it, just don't have the skills to perform a clean plumbing connection. 

All that to say, i have removed filter and all that jazz, just failed to report back all steps followed so down to just the pressure switch diagnostic. I honestly didn't think the new ones are adjustable as I didn't see any adjustment screw. 

That is a task for next week.