Temp reading 4 degrees off water temp

ken2112

I would honestly believe the hot tub 100 times out of 100 before I believed a thermometer, especially if that thermometer is an inexpensive one used for pools.  If it is a quality digital thermometer, or a meat thermometer, maybe it's more believable.  I don't know Jacuzzi well, but all hot tubs have two sensors, a temp sensor and a hi-limit sensor.  There can be up to 2 degrees in variance but if the two sensors are not in sync, it will almost always cause an error code.  

I used a high quality digital thermometer on it. It says its 99 degrees, plus you can feel the difference when in the water between 104 and 99. There is no error code being thrown. The hot tub was always spot on with display temp and water temp till just recently. Now i can't get water to go above 100 since it thinks its at 104 and shuts off heater.

The high limit is attached to the 3/4 loop heater top left of the spa pack. It should have a foam covering held on with a hose clamp. Check to see if the foam covering is in place and covering the probe. The temp probe going into the side wall of the spa was the wire ever spliced and joined or does the wire go uninterrupted from the probe all the way to the circuit board

The wire goes uninterrupted from probe to circuit board. I will have to check on foam covering on hi limit probe. I was told by a tech that the high limit sensor really doesnt have anything to do with spa water temp reading, just as a shut off if heater temp gets too high. Is he wrong? 

How to test the sensor probes.

2. Temperature Incorrect or OH
Another issue that comes up and is an indication of a bad temp sensor is the temperature reading becomes inaccurate or the spa is going into the OH error code. If you power the spa down and power it back up it may work for a while but will do the same thing again. You need to replace the Temp Sensor.
See this link for the Temperature and High Limit Sensors and also a link to the Temperature and High Limit Sensor Diagnostic Guide and Harness Diagram:
https://www.spaandpoolsource.com/sundancespastemperaturesensordiagnostic.aspx

Sundance and Jacuzzi same thing

19 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Sundance and Jacuzzi same thing

Not exactly. Jacuzzi bought Sundance, I happened to work at a Sundance dealer at the time, and incorporated Sundance technology into the premium line, but the controls are not always Sundance. Even number models (j350) have the sundance board, while odd numbers (j355) have a different, much simpler board that was never in a Sundance.

Sensors can be easily tested with a digital ohm meter, but it is unlikely that your new sensor is out the exact amount as the old one. Take an ohm reading on each sensor with them unplugged from the board. They should be within a few hundred ohms of each other.

If the sensors are plugged in the wrong terminals, you are in fact getting your temp reading from the high limit sensor, which you did not replace. This could have happened at the factory and been that way all along.

2 hours ago, castletonia said:

There can be up to 2 degrees in variance but if the two sensors are not in sync, it will almost always cause an error code.  

On a watkins, where both sensors are mounted to the heater, one on the inlet the other on the outlet, there may be an error triggered by 2 degrees difference. When the temp probe is in the spa wall and the hi-limit at the heater there may be a higher acceptable variance between the two sensors. I am not sure of the allowed variance on a Jacuzzi board, so can't assume it would trigger an error for 4 or 5 degrees difference.