Solana TX heating cycle doesn't go on

23 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

You have a gecko pack, balboa sensors will not work in it. I hope you got the right ones.

Balboa does not sell direct to consumer, and they only offer support for balboa products to balboa authorized service. They could not answer your questions about a gecko control system. They will refer you to supplier of your parts, where you bought it, for tech support. They are not direct to consumer and do not maintain a service center to handle consumer calls.

Yes I ordered the temp sensor P/N Gecko gave me, should be here Friday... Crossing my fingers that wasn't a waste of $$. 

It is the cheapest option at this point, and testing them is necessary to determine if they are the cause, or if there is a bigger issue. And they are a common failure in spas of this type. That's why technicians carry a box full of every kind of sensor ever seen in a spa. At least us old ones do. Back in the day, a good digital multimeter capable of testing sensors would set you back a weeks pay. And the boss sure wasn't going to buy it. So you start collecting them from every replaced pack, frozen tub heading to the dump, trade-in, and warranty replacement you cross paths with. These days, a good digital meter is a half a days pay for an employee, and can test most sensors.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:44 PM, RDspaguy said:

You have a gecko pack, balboa sensors will not work in it. I hope you got the right ones.

Balboa does not sell direct to consumer, and they only offer support for balboa products to balboa authorized service. They could not answer your questions about a gecko control system. They will refer you to supplier of your parts, where you bought it, for tech support. They are not direct to consumer and do not maintain a service center to handle consumer calls.

So sensor came & I installed it. Plugged all back in an later it appears the heating cycle is running. I'll verify things tomorrow, but hoping this is the end of this problem... Many thanks for all the words of wisdom !!

So the hot tub is once again hot ;-)... But it's too hot. I set it to 102 but it's 106... So I dropped it to 98 and it seemed to stabilize. Not sure if there is anything I can do at this point besides getting a new pack. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. Again thanks for the help !!

First check filter cycle duration and make sure it is set to F2 (2 hours 2x per day) If it is set higher the heat from the pump running to long will heat the spa inside out. 

Next clean filters

Next check your install of the temp sensor. As it is an older Gecko pack I am going to assume the temp sensor you replaced goes through the side wall of the spa and into direct contact with the water. It should sit with the nose of the sensor just a 1/32 of an inch sticking out past the acrylic. Make sure the back side of the sensor is covered with a foam plug or tape and not picking up cooler air from inside the cabinet. If there is a pump nearby when the pump turns on it can blow cooler air onto the back of the sensor an mess with the reading a bit.

Let us know results 

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

First check filter cycle duration and make sure it is set to F2 (2 hours 2x per day) If it is set higher the heat from the pump running to long will heat the spa inside out. 

Next clean filters

Next check your install of the temp sensor. As it is an older Gecko pack I am going to assume the temp sensor you replaced goes through the side wall of the spa and into direct contact with the water. It should sit with the nose of the sensor just a 1/32 of an inch sticking out past the acrylic. Make sure the back side of the sensor is covered with a foam plug or tape and not picking up cooler air from inside the cabinet. If there is a pump nearby when the pump turns on it can blow cooler air onto the back of the sensor an mess with the reading a bit.

Let us know results 

Not sure how you set the cycle duration. Is there some special combination you enter on the controls to access hidden functions ?

The filter is brand new.

The sensor goes through the wall in the filter bay ( funny until this issue I never even noticed it) . There was no foam or anything covering the sensor housing before when things worked. As for the depth I didn't realize that was so critical. I just put it in the way it appeared ensuring the collar was spun enough to be snug an not allow water entry.  As for the pump I wouldn't say it's nearby, but it is in the access area. 

We're having poor weather here so I'll have to open it up again once things clear.  Thx again!!

On 3/25/2020 at 12:38 PM, RDspaguy said:

Did you resolve the issue?

Sorry been busy lately.. I checked the temp is stable , with my offset. This was happening with the old sensor some time ago before it failed. Though it was less extreme., I did press and hold the light it said "Off". I hit the arrow and it's "On" .. Now concerned I have changed something that could cause problem, any insights as to what I changed ?

On 3/13/2020 at 10:46 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

If you have the filters out and get the 3 dots again try and jumper (join together) the 2 wires going to the pressure switch. Remove the 2 wires from the round thing on the chrome tube to the left of the yellow tag on the right side of the pack and use a paper clip or piece of wire to join them bypassing the pressure switch. If the 3 dots go away either adjust the pressure switch or replace it. See attached for troubleshooting flow charts

https://westcoastspas.com.au/Gecko Spa Manual FULL.pdf 

Try the manual for programming info. When the light is held for 5 seconds, the display should show filter options, not "on" or "off". Based on the info I found.

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

Try the manual for programming info. When the light is held for 5 seconds, the display should show filter options, not "on" or "off". Based on the info I found.

Ok spoke to Gecko.. They said live with the offset or replace the pack.. So I guess I'll live with it for now and if it goes south then I'll get the pack.. Thanks again for the help !!

14 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

So, they didn't tell you how to set filter times? Just told you to deal with it or buy a new pack?

I didn't go into setting filter times, I was asking about the temp difference problem. It's fine for now...At least I don't have to worry about it freezing and pipes cracking and I can get my soak on which helps with pain management.

Yeah, gecko makes electronic control systems, not spas. They know how your controls work, not why your spa overheats. That's what Canadaguy is for. And he's right, most overheat conditions are due to pump running for long periods. To continue, we need to eliminate this possibility. I don't expect you to sit and time the pump all day, but it would answer a few questions. Or, we can figure out how to check your filter cycles by calling gecko and asking...

23 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Yeah, gecko makes electronic control systems, not spas. They know how your controls work, not why your spa overheats. That's what Canadaguy is for. And he's right, most overheat conditions are due to pump running for long periods. To continue, we need to eliminate this possibility. I don't expect you to sit and time the pump all day, but it would answer a few questions. Or, we can figure out how to check your filter cycles by calling gecko and asking...

I'll buzz then this week.

• 2 years later...