delorean175 Posted July 6, 2019 Report Share Posted July 6, 2019 Hello all! I've been lurking here for some time, finally its time I am able to contribute some info to those who may be in a similar situation. I'm also hoping to have some know mods posted here, for example possibly a thermostat mod so I can turn the temp up to 106 or 108. Also if anyone is using a floating chlorine dispenser, if so what kind? I haven't found very many threads about Softubs or info about what people are doing when they break down. So, I'm in the process of rebuilding my 220 gallon softub motor. My tub is about 3 years old and I've had it for of those 2 years. About a month ago it started getting louder and louder. I figured it was a dying bearing, I didn't realize how bad that bearing was and how difficult it was going to be. For some reason there are no part numbers on anything, not on the motor or the pump assembly. I don't know why but it has made this project a bit more time consuming. It was difficult to get apart because everything was really corroded together. In the process I managed to break the plastic fan inside the motor, as well as fracture the aluminum end cap that the bearing presses into. It still wouldn't come off, so I got the torch. lol I managed to get it off but it wasn't pretty. I understood I was probably going to ruin what was left of that aluminum end cap. I was going to search the recycling yard for a new 48 frame end cap. They always have a dumpster full of recycled electric motors. Anyways, I decided to go with a new motor, because I still had a bearing frozen to the armature of the motor. I really didn't want to mess with it. The actual culprit that caused the bearing to fail was a cracked impeller shaft. It let small amounts of water by the seal and slowly rusted out the front bearing. Pretty common issue from what I've read. After hours of research this is the motor that I found, It is the exact same one Softub used. I emailed a few hottub parts suppliers and even Softub it's self, no one answered any of my questions. After some digging I found It's a 48 frame 1HP 1 speed Emerson motor, 12A 110v. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVC8LFB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Another link with more specs and info https://www.spapumpsandmore.com/Softub_Motor_for_Softub_Pump_MTREM_6497_Soft_Tub_p/mtrem-6497.htm Basically my plan was to move all the new parts from the new motor into the old motor housing with the piping. It was pretty straight forward since everything was identical. Unfortunately no one seams to carry the motor with the stainless steel piping wrapped around it. I've found this option that supposedly works the same as the stainless steel wrap but I read some reviews saying they leak, so I lost interest. I'm having issues with posting multiple pics and putting text in-between the images so I'll have to post all the pics one after another without text in-between them. I used anti-seize grease on the mating surfaces where the aluminum end caps mate to the steel housing, I also slathered it on the bearings. Just in case I ever have to do this again. Note in the last pic how there is aluminum foil tape covering the vents at the back of the motor. I believe Softub did that to keep the heat of the motor in, because if the motor ran to cool it wouldn't be as good of a heater. These motors can get really hot if not properly cooled, 104 degree water probably keeps these motors way below the maximum temp these can handle. I'll post updates when the impeller and new seal kit comes in. Update: I received the 1HP impeller, its not the right one. I think Softub used a 3HP impeller. Thinking about it they can get away with working this motor harder than normal because they don't have to worry about overheating the motor since its essentially water cooled. Same concept with water cooled boats, they don't have to worry as much about cooling because the lake water is always the same temp regardless of how hard they run it that day. Update: After emailing back and forth with an aqua-flo service specialist the verdict is the impeller is specially made for the Softub. After contacting a certified repair shop they said the parts are sold on a "closed market". Basically he can't sell me the parts but can repair my pump for $1000, also rebuild my motor that's already rebuilt. I'm not paying $1k to have this repaired by some guy. I decided to try and JB weld the crack in my impeller. Its on the shaft, it's not necessarily a structural part. Definitely not a load bearing part. After it was dry I smoothed it out and polished the surface. I saw in a pump rebuild video the guy used a little silicone to help seal the seal to the shaft as well as help it slide on during installation. So I did, I put everything back together and let the silicone dry. My softub has been running leak free for about 3 weeks now. I've been checking for leaks a few times a day. So far so good. I know this is only a band aid. I am currently shopping for a standard 1.5HP XP2e pump w/ impeller. The flow rates may be different but to me it's worth trying. I'm trying to document the parts and process of rebuilding a softub since there is a lack of info out there. But for now its been working. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.